Just watched this utter trash and Dilkington was the only redeeming factor

Just watched this utter trash and Dilkington was the only redeeming factor.

Where did it all go wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Teca5GzCaRk
scotsman.com/lifestyle/rubbernecker-1-463782
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Going full retard

Why does he keep making 'mockumentary' style series, it doesn't make sense.

After the masterpiece that was Extras it's baffles me he still going at it with the mockumentary thing.

too sentimental from what i can remember

Fuck you, I was about to post that

Simple Jack irl

Merchant>Gervais
Hello Ladies>Derek

Unironically this David Brent was a buffoon, but he was human and had his strengths and weaknesses.

Derek is a perfect autistic angel who seems to never do any harm (at least not in the few episodes I watched). He's less interesting and funny in every single way, and Ricky's performance is just terrible as this guy.

Both of them are cringey as fuck.

hmmm

>Dilkington
Confirmed ironyposting. Go back to the Ricky Gervais Show generals

This, the sentimentality was just too fucking much. Just look at it. youtube.com/watch?v=Teca5GzCaRk The whole fucking show is like this.

lmao is that coldplay in the background too

Extras is one of the best shows ever written imho, seeing how weak their solo careers have been in comparison shows just how good of a duo Gervais and Merchant are.

Shame since I don't think they've even spoken to each other in years.

Based Kev.

>Shame since I don't think they've even spoken to each other in years.

wait what
is this true?
why?

Derek had some redeemable comedic bits but the sentimentality was some of the worst melodrama I've ever seen.

They did make life's too short together though which was also very unfunny

>Extras is one of the best shows ever written
im intrigued, what makes you say that?

Nobody really knows.

Might have fallen out but more likely they just wanted to do different things. Ricky has gone full blown hollywood and I don't think that celebrity culture appeals to Steve much.

Top kev

They might be just filthy rich and don't feel the need to work together anymore.

isn't that the point with Hello Ladies?

>Karl Pilkington was the best character/actor on the show, and he played only himself with a weird haircut

activates those almonds

*Comedy shows to clarify

Not many actually have a meaningful story like Extras did and the cast were brilliant, especially the guest stars.

by meaningful are you alluding to his eventual redemption?

to be fair they were filthy rich already when working for xfm so money can't be that important to them

In short yeah. How he failed to make it on his own terms, sold out for fame over respect, realised he'd become what he hated. Good themes, the end of The Office was the similar.

Not them but I think it's really unique in a few ways. For one it manages to include dialogue that sounds very natural where people actually make jokes and respond with laughter. Also the characters position in the first season is of a typically downtrodden comedic character with lots of forces working against him. Then in the second season it seamlessly transitions into Andy having a lot of power but now his own faults are the primary thing working against him.

So it has an actual significant change in the main characters position in life and also a large character arc where he learns multiple lessons. Those are two rules you're not supposed to cross in comedy.

The funny bits of Hello Ladies were funny, but I hate the sentimental stuff and the relationship bollocks. This is why Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld were next level - they were entirely funny with no meaningful, moving crap shoehorned in.

>where people actually make jokes and respond with laughter.

sidepoint: i noticed that early Friends episodes are like this but the later ones aren't

Where it went wrong was that it's a show Brent would have written, revealing how totally anything sophisticated in Gervais's earlier work was down to Merchant. Derek is only funny if you imagine Gervais's black-eyed, sociopathic laughter as he watches it in the edit suite. The sentimentality is a cynic's joke on the idea of warmth. At the time he made it, there was a big trend in British comedy for warm sitcoms with studio audiences. Gervais couldn't really adjust to this - he was now the old guard, the previous era. So he responded with a show based on a "mong" impression he used to do in his early stand-up, during which he reportedly used to crack himself up like Sam Hyde. An idea of the material is given in this review:
scotsman.com/lifestyle/rubbernecker-1-463782

- very clearly "un-PC" spastics-mocking humour, in the great tradition of working-class British playground bullying. His revival of the character in heartwarming mode with deliberately hack music choices was the ultimate self-indulgence - humour you have to be as sick as Ricky to get.

Because Merchant had no interest in working on projects involving the Derek character. And also because Gervais has no friends, just people he envies, people he uses, people he wants to use, and people he can no longer use.

When he hit the sunbed before doing a photo shoot for a character who lives in a old folks' home in England, maybe?

While we're on the subject of Ricky's failures
>David Brent: Life on the Road
Seriously, what the fuck was that shit?

Ricky Gervais: i want to shag the bloody queen
critics: that's not funny, it's just weird
Ricky Gervais: oh you're offended, are you???? did I offend you???? good. *blocks them on twitter*

he's the most needlessly passive-aggressive and easily triggered comedian there is

I didn't think it was terrible, just a bit of fanservice.

Actually loved the studio recordings of Brent's songs though. Slough could be a Bowie tune.

>fanservice

Artists don't do that. He was meant to be an artist. Now we know better.

Not a fan.

why did you copy and paste someones tweet you freak

Mawkishness and insincerity.

I'm not sure someone like Ricky would be so self-indulgent at the cost of ruining his reputation, he does care an awful lot about what people think of him. If his recent output was good then I might believe it but he's been making terrible shit for a decade. Even the podcasts pale in comparison to the earlier recordings and it's clear there's not a hint of irony in those.