What are the top 5 TV shows of all time?

What are the top 5 TV shows of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12891163
twitter.com/AnonBabble

whatever your top 5 favorite shows are

Fuck off with your shit taste

The love boat
Fantasy Island
Barney Miller
All in the Family
WKRP in Cincinnaty

The Sopranos
The Wire
Six Feet Under
The Simpsons
Seinfeld

>the simpsons being in the top 5 after being dog shit for far longer than it was good

>seinfeld

I like all of these shows, I'd replace Six Feet Under with True Detective Season 1

This would be a solid argument if the simpsons wasn't an episodic show. The crappy episodes they're turning out now have zero effect on the classic run of 3-8.

The Twilight Zone
The Sopranos
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
Deadwood

Rick and Morty
Breaking Bad
The Wire
Westworld
*Insert show of the week here*

Wait, this isn't Reddit...

Twilight Zone
Simpsons
Sopranos
Seinfeld
MASH

>The Wire
>Sopranos
>Twin Peaks, despite its imperfections
>
>
>
>Deadwood, probably
>Breaking Bad, i guess
>Generation Kill? Show Me A Hero?
>South Park or Simpsons or Sunny
>Hannibal? even though S1 is kinda imperfect

im not sure about 3-5, but any list that doesnt start with Sopranos & The Wire is immediately invalid

The top 4 is pretty much set in stone
The Simpsons
The Sopranos
Seinfeld
The Twighlight Zone
5th choice is where there's some leeway.

This is dumb. Good television is much too new of a phenomenon to be creating these lists. You'll just get a bunch of contrarians who claim to love older, more obscure shows because it gives them social brownie points. Which is strange, since this is an anonymous message board.

SCTV
The Simpsons
The Andy Griffith Show
The Prisoner
Robbery Homicide Division

drama:

1. The Wire
2. Breaking Bad
3. Firefly
4. Angel / Buffy
5. Rome

comedy:

1. The Office (UK)
2. Peep Show
3. Extras
4. The Inbetweeners
5. Limmy's Show

>The Andy Griffith Show
Stop whistling that theme at work, I mean it.

If half of a cake is great and half is literally made of shit do you rate the cake 10/10? Of course you fucking don't. Overall, The Simpsons is trash.

comedy:

1. Party Down
2. Extras
3. Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret
4. The Thick of It
5. Silicon Valley

Just finished Party Down recently and goddamn I couldn't get enough

The Sopranos
Supernatural
Game of Thrones
The Simpsons
Sons of Anarchy

>Comedy
Trailer park boys
Always sunny
The Office (us)
>Drama
Sopranos
X files

no particular order

Community
The Evil Dead
The Big Bang Theory
The Simpsons
How I met Your Mother

The Wire and Sopranos are soooo boring, stop pretending to like shows just because of muh critics.

In no particular order:

The Wire
The Sopranos
Mad Men
The Twilight Zone
The Simpsons (golden age)

good taste

Rick & Morty
South Park
Half in the Bag
Game of Thrones
Best of the Worst

i'm ok with this

Star Trek ToS
The Sopranos
The Wire
Seinfeld
Mash

my 10 favorite dramas in no particular order

The Wire
Twin Peaks
The Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
The Kingdom (Lars von Trier)
True Detective S1
The Twilight Zone
Louie
LOST (I know it's a bit shit but I have great memories watching it)

Goodtimes
The Jeffersons
Different Strokes
Blackish
Seinfeld

Seinfeld
The Sopranos
Mad Men
Twin Peaks
The Office (UK)

Never seen The Wire or Deadwood though

1. Bottom
2. Spongebob
3. Star Trek

Sopranos
Rome
The Shield
True Detective (S1)
Mr. Bean

Sopranos
Wire
Simpsons
Evangelion
Rick and Morty

TNG
The Soprano's
The Wire
True Detective
The West Wing

In terms of drama
1. Person of Interest
2. The Wire
3. Band of Brothers
4. The Sopranos
5. Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad
Lost
Seinfeld
Deadliest Catch
Family Guy

Is the Sopranos really considered better than the Wire?

reee

me again

honorable mentions:
deadwood
twin peaks
x-files
king of the hill
batman the animated series (i dislike most super hero stuff)

Don't they occur in the same universe though?

the wire
the sopranos
rome
generation kill
game of thrones

absolutely

The Wire
Game Of Thrones
Sopranos
Bates Motel
Breaking Bad

The Walking Dead
Rick and Morty
Game of Thrones
Law and Order
Big Bang Theory

What seems to be the problem, friend?

Twin Peaks
Golden Age Simpsons
The Prisoner
The Twilight Zone
TNG

you know damn well

The Sopranos
The Leftovers
The Wire
Deadwood
True Detective Season one

Is the Dekalog considered a TV show or a series of films? Because that would probably be top if it is.

The Prisoner needs more representation here. Patrick McGoohan was insane but glorious.

The Sopranos
Six Feet Under
Breaking Bad
BSG reboot
The Shield

Yeah, Breaking Bad maybe wasn't that great. Little staying power. Twin Peaks or 6 Feet Under were more memorable.

>Little staying power.
I'm discovering this too. Four years after Breaking Bad I have little desire to watch it again. Too many parts are just way to ridiculous. Three years after I watched the Wire I'm tearing through a binge though.

Do you like VEEP?

Sopranos
The Wire
Mad Men
Deadwood
Seinfeld

simply not true, it will be remembered and talked about like the wire in 10 years. literally the only place you'll find people bashing it is Sup Forums

Breaking Bad
Seinfeld
South Park
Lost
MASH

One of the reasons why The Wire will be remembered more profoundly is because it had very strong supporting characters, whereas Breaking Bad really only focused on Walter and Jesse. The Wire's most obscure minor characters were more compelling than both of Breaking Bad's two main characters.

This is totally subjective, but fuck it, that's the point, right? So, a list of favorites, based solely on how much I enjoyed seeing the characters interact:

Lost
Frasier
Person of Interest
Six Feet Under
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

>it will be remembered and talked about like the wire in 10 years
No doubt it will: it was well written and had high production value.

But in the end, it doesn't impress on you anything other than an entertaining story of some underachieving nobody who fulfills his delusions of grandeur.

A very good show, but little staying power and characters you just don't give a shit about when all is said and done. Great shows will draw you back into their universe and characters when they end. Breaking Bad was more like "well that was nice, I wonder what show is on next"

X files
Six feet under
Hannibal
Millennium
Twin Peaks

1. The Wire.

band of brothers
the leftovers
the wire
curb your enthusiasm
the OC

If I can just pick certain seasons add in S1 of Homeland

It all depends on your personal taste, senpai.

My personal Top 5 in no order:

>The Sopranos
>Mad Men
>Seinfeld
>Twin Peaks
>Mystery Science Theater 3000

The simpsons
The sopranos
Twilight zone
Curb your enthusiasm
Oz

The Wire
The Sopranos
L O S T
The Leftovers
Twin Peaks

>The Wire
>The Sopranos
>The Shield
>Deadwood
>Justified

Sesame Street
Mr Rogers Neighborhood
Dallas
ER
NCIS

>game of thrones
>american gods
>prison break
>banshee
>vikings

Oh good a food analogy.
Surely this will be an intelligent opinion.

Spartacus
Firefly
Dexter
Black Sails
The Knick

>Food analogies

By far

1. The Sopranos
2. The Sopranos
3. The Sopranos
4. The Sopranos
5. The Sopranos

1. Game of Thrones
2. Game of Thrones
3. Game of Thrones
4. Rick and Morty
5. Game of Thrones

Narcos
Night Court
The Sopranos
The Simpsons (during the good years)
MST3K

This is a rough question.... because there's probably at least 10 that are superb and they're such different flavors I couldn't really list them sequentially.

But these:
>Breaking Bad
>Game of Thrones
>Firefly
>It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
>South Park (but only select seasons)

And there's a few honorable mentions that were amazing for a few seasons, but fell apart.

>Boardwalk Empire - up until the death of Jimmy. The show fell apart after that, but it was still decent for another season. Unwatchably bad after that
>Lost - Amazing for 2 or 3 seasons and fell apart.
>Prison Break- Great for 2 seasons and fell apart.
>Curb Your Enthusiasm - Great up until his divorce and new black family.
>Rome - Amazing but gets distinctly weaker under Augustus's reign.

In no particular order:

L O S T
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The X-Files
Battlestar Galactica
Band of Brothers

Hard to choose though, but these are the shows that have probably stuck with me the longest / were an important part of my adolescence.

Only by plebs. Sopranos is great but full of filler, terrible sidestorys and in the end hasnt all that much to say.

No other show is good enough to belong on the same list as wire and sopranos but I did enjoy Generation Kill, the first few seasons of 24 and Season 1 of Got

Curb got better when they met the blacks... are you serious?

LOST didn't fall apart either pleb, are you one of those morons that thinks it was purgatory, or the finale was shit? Also, Firefly is overrated trash. Honestly I don't hate it, but the show never got a chance to be great, but overall it's mediocre. Yes, Fox fucked it and all but it's far from anything like a GOAT show.

Battlestar Galactica
Stargate SG-1
Farscape
The Next Generation
Deep Space 9

That's what makes The Sopranos so great though - it doesn't try to overwhelm you with morals or 'hidden meanings' in each episode. It doesn't go crazy with symbolism or metaphor. It's a real, nitty gritty glimpse into the life of a man with more flaws than you can count. Despite all these flaws we still relate to Tony on a human level because everything about the show is so AUTHENTIC. The acting is incredible from him and his wife.

That's the one thing missing from TV shows these days - authenticity. They all feel cooked up in a lab and tested in front of an audience of multi-raced even-gendered 18-70 year olds. Each episode has to follow a specific arc, must have x jokes per minute, must include a racially diverse cast, and always echo a 'do the right thing' message at the end.

Okay - autism disabled for now... I just really like The Sopranos.

Breaking Bad mainly lives off of plot twists and super epic moments. Once you know they are coming there isnt much to the series. None of the characters have any depth and even our two main characters dont act like people but rather like whatever the plot needs them to do. No one will ever talk about Steven Gomezes motivations or decisions.

1.Twilight zone
2.Twilight zone
3.Twilight zone
4.Twilight zone
5.Star Trek TOS

Oh yes you are absolutely right, this is why I love it too. Its just so much filler I cant get myself to watch twice. Like all of the childrens stories or camelas thing with the priest or all of Tonys dreams. Its just so....boring. I do agree with you that the wire sometimes goes overbord and trys to lecture but to me its just so entertaining.

side characters are filler? only filler i remember in the sopranos was gay vito

This thread gave me an idea.

strawpoll.me/12891163

The Sopranos
The Young Pope
Mad Men

No other shows have been good enough to be worthy of my top 5

X-Files by far m8.

Maybe if Twin Peaks had the same amount of episodes / seasons it would be up for debate. Even with it's flaws the X-Files has so many great episodes, more than Twin Peaks has total episodes.

In no particular order -
The Sopranos
Rome
True Detective
LOST
If they don't immensely fuck up the last season, possible The Leftovers
Honorable Mention to Battlestar Galactica '05

Sopranos
Nip Tuck
Seinfeld
Flinstones
60 Minutes

Name 1 (one) period show set after 1900 that's better than Mad Men

What about Meadows story with her annoying boyfriends. The series loses nothing if you cut those. Or the priest thing. You dont have to waste so much screentime to get you point across. Carmela is a depressed wife and hungers for love. Got it. Not every human story makes for good entertainment

If Carmela didn't get as much screentime it's certainly possible we wouldn't have the famed shut the door scene

The Sopranos, The Wire, and Mad Men are definitely my three favourites. It gets way murkier from there.

Most stuff is just way too inconsistent for me to like..."rank", There's shows I love that either start shitty, or get shitty, or just have giant lulls.

Community is all over the place in terms of quality but when it's good, it's my favourite comedy show for sure.

Either way, I definitely need drama recommendations.

I assume you've watched Breaking Bad? I also like those 3 shows and Breaking Bad has a similar feel.

Six Feet Under
The Sopranos
The Wire
Brideshead Revisited
Boys from the Blackstuff

I know this board is all over it, but True Detective is very good. The fact that they have the same director and writer for the entire first season helps the show to establish a consistent, but good visual style, along with a intriguing story. The acting from both McConaughey and Harrelson is great as well.
If you're even remotely interested in the time period, watch Rome. Even if you're not, it's still a great show

I preferred it because the entire thing was quality but The Wire season 5, while still great by tv standards, really lost me.

There was a big drop in how much I enjoyed the series with that stupid fake serial killer story going on.

The Sopranos never had anything that frustratingly out of place.

Now let's say we took the best of both series and made a whole new one.

Would it, dare I say, be the kinoest programme in the history of cable television?