Rome could of been the GOAT show

It had the potential, i honestly think it would of surpassed the likes of The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos

Yeah S1 was god tier. S2 was not as good but they had to pack like 2-3 seasons into one really quickly. They were even going to have Jesus in the later seasons

Rome and Deadwood are two shows that could of been GOAT tier if they had proper time

>tfw refused entry to meeting

>the only rome thread uses a terrible image
being rangebanned is suffering

People weren't ready for these type of shows back then.

It had enormous potential.... But the reign of Augustus pales in comparison to the reign of Julius in the beginning. So already it had gone downhill very noticeably.

But still a very excellent show that should have been given at least 2 more seasons.

Those fucking antiquated Nielson ratings....

Deadwood had a lot of potential but it meandered in a fairly shitty way. I'd compare it quite a bit to BCS. A great show with great characters and a great premise, but pacing seemed fucked a lot of times and sometimes 20 minutes of story would get stretched out into 5 episodes.

So Deadwood and Rome both had flaws. Flaws that would likely only get worse in future seasons, but they had enough going for them that they should have been given another season or two to get the story back on track.

British "people," you mean

Add Carnivale to that list. HBO has had so many good shows, and so many of them never got a chance to be great.

ya even HBO said it was a mistake to stop it..

it says a lot that 2 season of this show beat 90% of other shows, and can be said in the same breath as shows like the sopranos

>when that one senator slips and fall on Caesar's blood

I slipped and fell on a stone floor recently and rewatching that scene makes the pain come back.

>could of
>of

You could have learned proper grammar. You didn't, but could've.

>But the reign of Augustus pales in comparison to the reign of Julius in the beginning

the show was supposed to have like 5 seasons or something, they were going to take their time showing augustus seize power.

i kind of wish they began this show much earlier in caesars life, like around the time the gallic wars started. they never show caesar's rise to power in shows or movies.

Ah, senator Jiminculus, yes his antics were quite entertaining but a senator? Pshaw, should have never been put in that position.

>it's a Pullo does something stupid episode

>Sorry a out killing your fiance
>will you marry me
>I won't beat you
>pls respond

Pullo was /r9k/ in a Chad body

>sits down in the arena to die
>spergs out when someone shittalks his guild
>has to be saved by wrangler

It's far superior to The Wire.

Well, I don't know about that.

>Those fucking antiquated Nielson ratings...
was less about ratings and more about it being fucking expensive, even for HBO.
first season alone was over $100mil

Hollywood accounting

It was intended to be a write-off by both HBO and BBC, but they didn't expect Bruno Heller to be a competent autist.

Someone should write a book about the whole Rome (HBO) thing. The entire story is very, very interesting.

I love that Rome is 2 seasons. It's a perfect show. The first season is a flawless slow burn, the classic HBO template. The second season is wholly unique- it's one of the most expensive television productions ever, but since they were given the info that they were being cancelled BEFORE the season began, they planned the season out to cram as much shit as possible into a single season! Because of this the slow burn element is gone and every episode is exciting and full of tons of progression. So you get top of the line HBO-at-it's-best quality mixed in with rapid fire development.

Not to mention the fact that because it's a short show, it's incredibly rewatchable without a massive time commitment like other shows that run 5-10 seasons.

>wholly unique- it's one of the most expensive television productions ever, but since they were given the info that they were being cancelled BEFORE the season began, they planned the season out to cram as much shit as possible into a single season
Also happened with Dollhouse, not unique anymore

It is the greatest show of all time.

Rome was a masterpiece, it ended prematurely but it even managed to do that well too.

But Dollhouse was terrible.

Including and after "Man on the Street," Dollhouse was the one of the best SF shows ever aired on television. The original pilot is also great.