James Cameron thinks prequels were more innovative than TFA

youtube.com/watch?v=fJKtPJk3b2M

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bEQiHCL7gFA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No one else thinks otherwise.

He's right.

Of course he's right. That doesn't mean they were better though.

He's not wrong, you know.

wack fuck

They were tho, at least better than tfa. The second might redeem itself, but seeing the rumoured plot it might be an even worse failure.

Innovative? Sure. But it was a complete failure.

Based Jimmy.

jewmousefags btfo!!!

Prequels > disneywars

confirmed.

>go to Jar Jar Abrams youtube channel
>take any video and post it on Sup Forums
>"310 replies and 150 images omitted"

The phantom pain was innovative with its use over use of CGI.
I even remember being impressed by the visuals when I fist saw in the cinema.
TFA has nothing innovative.

is the full interview available somewhere now? I watched it when it came out and it was pretty damn good, too bad the chick that uploaded it put it on private or deleted it thanks to all the star wars faggots taking THAT bit out of such a good interview

>The second might redeem itself
It won't.

>tfw nu star wars will literally be a retread of the OT movies but with a mary sue, edgy loser villain, and a niggertrooper

Just fucking pull the plug already

>Yfw the nigger trooper was one of the better parts of the movie

this is the guy releasing 5 sequels to his shitty movie over a decade after anyone still cared.

take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Yeah, like I care what the creator of box office bomb "The Abyss" thinks about film. SAGE

>The phantom pain

1. That's a video game from the Metal Gear solid franchise, please return to >>Sup Forums and never crosspost ever again.

2. Nice dubs.

Both OT and the prequels had definitive marks of an artistic vision, whether they were good or bad. TFA was quite limited in that regard, there was no sense that it was made with a coherent direction of a single person. There was no humanity to it in that regard, even though it was more competent as far as craftsmanship and technique goes.
I would classify most of the films Lucas made as art - even though only the two first were any good - and TFA as an example of craftsmanship.

Yeah, like I care what an art school reject has to say about post-WWI Germany.

He's right.

There is a good story there. It just probably could have been told a bit better is all.

Anakin vs Obi Wan and Obi Wan and Qua Jin(however the fuck you spell this shit) were better Saber fights then anything in the original trilogy period.

The handicap match against Darth Maul I mean.

The prequels was bad meme is so fucking stupid. The only movie I feel that TFA may beat (MAY BEAT) is Episode II. I feel Episode II was the most forgettable of the George Lucas Star Wars movies.

I'd say anyone objectively looking at the situation would say the same.

I liked the prequels, but it's true that they aren't as good as the original and Disney's 2 films may be better...

But there's an important point of distinction that must be made between the prequels and Disney's Star Wars. The prequels covered a TON of new ground in story and lore, they fleshed out the universe in a lot of new, exciting, and interesting ways.

And Disney's two movies, though good, are nothing more than a re-skinning of New Hope and Empire. They literally covered no new ground, no new lore, no new major incredible discoveries. They were just refilming the old movies with new technology with some minor rewrites.

Disney saw the backlash against the Prequels so rather than coming up with anything new and original, they stuck to the old formula 100%. So much, in fact, that you can literally take a summary of a New Hope and change some of the names and locations and it's the exact plot of Force Awakens.

And from the looks of it, Disney is going to try to cover some new lore in the new movie (force tree and such), and it's likely to be as poorly received as the prequels.

The prequels were subject to a bit of historical revisionism. They were better than people remembered and, at the time, I knew NO ONE who disliked them.... though I did hear murmurs that some of the old (then middle aged) fans of the originals didn't like them.

The prequels covered a lot of new ground and were great for universe building. Literally great for the exact opposite reasons as the Disney material. Were they flawed movies? Of course, the acting (particularly from both young and teenage Anakin) could be abysmal at times and there were a number of horribly written scenes that either should have been chopped or completely rewritten (all of the love scenes).

>$43m budget
>$90m box office
>"bomb"

They weren't better because TFA is practically a copy-pasted version of ANH.

Theres nothing wrong with this opinion. TFA is a straight up rehash unoriginal pos. The prequels are terrible but at least they are original.

>were better Saber fights then anything in the original trilogy period.

this

>inb4 muh sabers suppose to be emotional and shiet, not choreography.

The duels made the sword fighting more intense and fast paced, the score even made it fucking god-tier. Lore wise, the jedi were trained in various ways and to be fast and agile. Fighting was like art, a craft, like fencing.

OT fighting was like that because not only did Luke not have time to train like that, but because the Yoda/Obi were too old.

This is coming from the man who thinks Avatar was an intellectually challenging, thought-provoking film:

youtube.com/watch?v=bEQiHCL7gFA

(cont)

And something that is never quite taken into account when watching an older movie is, how does it compare to other movies at the time? Those action sequences were some of the best to be delivered EVER for movies made in the turn of the millennium.

You have to consider up until this point we had only scene the slow lightsaber scenes from the old ones and blaster battles against stormtroopers. Having the jedi/sith use their lightsabers all the time to deflect blaster fire was a really unique and amazing thing at the time.

Also, though it tends to be frowned upon now. The CG in the prequels was some of the best ever made. The backdrops were amazingly beautiful and incredibly detailed.

The problem with man in general is that we're herd animals and everyone, to some extent, foregos having unique opinions to jump on various bandwagons.

Prequels are better than they say. I think, in time, they will probably be remembered as equal to the Disney content (with different assets and flaws).

Granted, it's probably been two and a half decades since I saw The Abyss.... but I remember it as pretty damn good.

Well yeah.

Ofc prequels were better than Disney Wars

They're just remaking ep 4 and 5.

Nice quads there.

If any of you ever browse Sup Forums it is even worst there. I wouldn't blame you guys for not wanting to browse that shit hole but take what this user here said and multiply it probably a hundred times and you get the idea of what goes down on Sup Forums.

Those little shits just flat out disrespect older games to and seem to have no idea that they should realize games are a product of their time just like this user here said with the movies.

He is right to. For the time these movies were cutting edge. However this is also the inevitable problem of CGI and its overuse. Its going to make tons of movies look awful after enough years go by. This is why movies should try to strive for more realistic qualities over constant CGI stuff.

And who even disagrees with that statement?

Yes, prequels were innovative but still absolutely terrible in the execution of most filmmaking elements, while TFA is the most safe bkand cash-in rehash of ANH with nothing particularly innovative, but it's still a decently executed movie.

>at the time, I knew NO ONE who disliked them

This. Nobody in RL was spitting venom about them or acted like their lives were ruined cause the quality didn't match to their childhood movies. Well, except this one friend, who once upon the mention of the prequels just repeated the same tired shit about CGI and Jar-Jar he read online almost verbatim. But, pretty much everything that guy says we in our circle of people noticed is pulled from some source. Hell, once he told me an anecdote that happened to me like it was an event from his life. He's fucking weird. Might be a serial killer.
Anyway, prequels, huh?

>The backdrops were amazingly beautiful and incredibly detailed.

Well, they were mostly miniatures. This was the 00s. They didn't have the processing power or storage space to render stuff like the wookie trees or that arena on Geonosis.

Him and everyone else on on disney's payroll

He's right, at least Lucas had vision and passion

TFA and the star wars license are merely tools of corporatist elites that are using normies nostaliga to push their agenda of cultural marxism and the destruction of the traditional family and conservative values.

Based Iron Jim tells it like it is

I feel it lately bros, I think he's got something big coming, I feel it rumbling in the earth and air like a dissatisfied god stepping down from his mountain to set some shit straight before he ascends up the mountain again

>prefering the older movies, while shitting on the newest disney one
>getting paid

wat

Trips confirmed.

This. Innovation doesn't necessarily mean it's fucking good either.

nice. based cameron.

They were, Prequels were both a new story and fairly groundbreaking in CGI at the time, unfortunately the effects aged terribly which isn't uncommon. Compared to the new movie though, a literal rehash of the first movie and CG effects that are pretty standard for the modern day blockbuster. It's clear the prequels were much more innovative than Force Awakens.

The prequels are garbage movies though.

He liked Genisys, no wonder he's an idiot.

>"George Lucas is a friend of mine"
this is all you need to know

Liked != paid, user. Know the difference.

>Lucas had vision
To sell as many toys as possible

As always with Cameron, his voice is the voice of reason. I hate Lucas, but the prequels are miles ahead of the pure garbage that is TFA.

The prequels were a proper space opera, complete with tragic heroes and grand battles and tragedy and scheming. The political scheming even managed to be brilliant at times and was still relevant when it was released, and could possibly be relevant today. The Force Awakens have none of this. Despite being made with "passion" it felt more like a toy commercial than the prequels ever did.

Also, Jar Jar did what Gollum went on to be known for before Peter Jackson used the tech. Can you imagine how risky it was going to be to make a major character CG at that time? Lucas had balls.

Based Jimbo

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Not really a controversial statement.

I agree, but I still think TFA is a bit better than the prequels as a movie.
I don't think TFA is so good that I'd rather have it exist over the prequels though, the prequels at least sets a backdrop for other stories.

TFA was a pretty movie with lots of cameos. It was "blah" though. Anyone who see's it otherwise is blind.

Didn't Cameron says Terminatory Genisys was good too? Who the fuck cares what this guy thinnks.

>The political scheming even managed to be brilliant at times
>this is what prequelfags believe

TFA was derivative but that doesn't elevate the middle schooler-tier writing of the prequels

making double what your budget was is a bomb for cameron, correct

but Terminator Genisys was half decent.

Miscast both Connors but the plot was actually cool for once.

Except we never learn where the fuck Pops came from because no sequel.

Well they were. They were shit but at least they tried something else.

The Force Awakens was a pure retread. It took no chances. Right down to having the Death Star yet again. I understand why they did it but in hindsight it was a tad TOO careful. Hopefully the next one fucks with the formula a bit more. Add something new.

it's funny that cameron bothers to watch star wars movies

And he was right, TFA was for nostalgia faggots that REEE at anything non OT Star Wars.

>That tiny tree is the origin of the Force

Why couldn't it be a gigantic, planet-sized tree instead?

At least half of the box office gross goes to exhibitors, and production budgets don't include marketing, so yes it lost money.

>I hate Lucas
pathetic

>I don’t think many people would have guessed this one! In an interview with Comic Book Debate, famed director James Cameron was asked what film makers he admires and is inspired by. Cameron first mentions some masters of film such as Hitchcock before going to the directors that continue to inspire him today. One of the name’s mentioned is no other than the DC Extended Universe creator, Zack Snyder.

>Cameron calls to attention that Snyder is an established film maker now, but that he remembers when Snyder first broke onto the scene, presumably with Dawn of the Dead and 300. He comments that he was thrilled with people like Snyder who were “creating their own new cinematic language” and breaking film conventions in the process.

This is really obviously the case. I hate digital and I'd admit it. TFA is the beginning of Star Wars being a closed system of OT references.

>knows that it's a videogame and to what franchise it belongs
Hello Sup Forumsedditor crossposter

> People are confused by this

Prequels were written poorly but they made up for it with some great cinematography and a good soundtrack. The dialogue was bland but some of the characters were memorable at least. TFA scores absolutely nothing in these categories.

That would be really fucking dumb.

OH YEAH
>YOU TALK LE FIRST?
>I TALK LE FIRST?

Stupidest line of the movie 2bh

Because Star Wars isn't Japanese.

The KINO master have spoken.

does it suck being black?

WE AVATAR NOW

OUR FUCKING GUY

>I hate Lucas

hello r/starwars

Sure, ILM was always innovative and in some ways they still are. New technologies that benefited filmmaking were developed around that time, like digital editing as we know it today.
That doesn't validate the narrative, which is and always was the problem with those movies, and with avatar as well. Cameron is the pack leader when it comes to hollywood blockbusters but he has expressed some terrible opinions lately. I guess good taste doesn't come with being good at your job.

tl;dr the prequels are terribly written stories and not all the industrial light and magic in the world managed to save them. This obsession you have with flipping the public opinion of them isn't healthy.

no shit. it's just the screenplay and over reliance on green screen(which is subjective) that was the problem with the prequels.

nu-SW looks and feels more mechanical. like they did a focusgroup to see what people liked in the OT and put those elements in the new movie. as well as use RLM's criticisms of the prequels to avoid the pitfalls Lucas fell into when he made episodes one, two and three.

This is why i love this motherfucker!

They weren't. No one denies that the prequels had major issues. But George had a bunch of weird interesting ideas that were bogged down by the fact that no one put down their foot when George went too far with his crazy ideas.

They both suck balls you fucking cock munchers. The only good films in the series are the original 3, the prequels are ass and so is TFA/Rogue One.

in other news water is wet

jim is truly /ourguy/

He's right, but that doesn't mean the prequels are good.

TFA is very entertaining, but did absolutely nothing innovative.

Any links to JarJarAbrahms youtube channel is known shilling.

People need to either link to mirrors, or realize it's from the channel trying to generate clicks.

This. They took a ton of chances they did not all pay off but TFA was pretty much a remake.

Well...duh.

>A FUCKING TREE

good ole jimbo rustling the redditors jeremies once again. feels goodman.

He's right
They suck
But he's right.
Starwars is cuckfeed