“Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy...

“Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control.” - Simon Pegg

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/11/04/report-at-least-50-teams-were-paid-by-department-of-defense-for-patriotic-displays/?utm_term=.ac1ab715f131
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>conspiracy
there is no conspiracy, its not a secret that companys want as much money as they can milk from people

>hand tattoo
>that blank upper arm
What a fucking tryhard.

I hate Star Wars.
And I hate people that try to tell me that Return of the Jedi was a good movie.

you sound like a person that most people you know hate. why would you hate someone who says a movie is good, like why does that bother you so much? maybe talk to a counselor or something my man, its ok if people like stuff that you dont

Pegg is right, and he's utterly complicit in it. What's his excuse?

Star Trek >>> Star Wars

>I gave my artist a head

what did she mean by this?

Well maybe because Star Wars was an original good movie and Empire was a masterpiece.
People that try to tell me that return of the jedi is good can't seen to even remember what really happens in the movie.
It is nostalgia to the maximum.

star wars ot and TNG are equal, then the original star trek movies. other then that everything star wars and trek is equal garbage

Gotta make that paper

At least Star Trek keeps the normies somewhat at bay

thats why i only spend my money on anime figures ahaha owned

You know op, some people just like geeky nerdy nerd culture, and all the cool toys and movies!

[Spoiler]Very cool[/Spoiler]

just give up, man

Why don't the fucking spoiler tags work anymore god dam n it

what do you mean?

>says the guy who exclusively makes movies about and for nerds, the writer of the third star trek reboot movie and has a cameo in the next star wars movie

Nerd culture wasnt an issue until fucking Disney saw the potential to infantilize an entire generation and keep them captive as theit target audience. That's why they paid 4 billions for Marvel, and they'll need 20 years to make it back, and same with SW. They needed those franchises as tools of control, not money makers

companies want to sell
le capitalist conspiracy

Are Star Wars fans the most annoying and obnoxious when it comes to movie franchises?

>when your grandpa forces you to watch the stupid movies he wasted his youth on while all you want to do is to redirect another asteroid down on Africa

yes, followed by harry potter

He's right and it's similar to sports culture in lot's of ways. As kids we grow up loving sports and then we get old and most just end up watching them. Massively encouraged consumerism and fanaticism make adults spend stupid amounts of money on merchandise, tickets, cable channels all as a means of advertising for other products. They even go so far as to push patriotism with pro sports(Good Americans buy tickets to baseball games) Here in Canada they do it with Hockey on such a large scale its crazy, It's normal for low middle class/low class people to spend 1000's to take family to one nhl game (that's how much tickets cost here) when they only make 20,000 before taxes a year. And all the players and people in the industry get filthy rich. Nerd culture is just the exact same thing but more niche. Pretty fucked up when you think about it.

How is an adult supposed to act? What's so righteous about the way so many "mature" people live their lives? Your average joe is a fucking moron who spends all day at his 9 to 5 comes home cracks a beer and sits in front of his hypnobox to whatever watered down trash happens to be on the channel that hasn't been changed for the last three years vaguely catered to a broad demographic that doesn't quite show exactly what he wants but isn't quite far enough away from what he wants to see to warrant actually making some drastic change in his life.

What's so bad about liking Star Wars and other admittedly childish bullshit when the average interests of a human being are relatively comparable if not even more braindead? At least nerds invest themselves in the stupid shit they like.

Tfw I have the perfect obscure star wars tattoo idea that subtly fits into in-progress sleeve

Yes because they seem to be the fanbase where fans hate each other the most for disagreeing (about the dumbest shit even)

>now watch my Star Trek while I star in Star Wars because I fucking love it

Did Pegg say that before or after gagging on JJ's dick for a bit part in TFA?

Can't you just like something without telling everyone about it?
>Hey, check out my Rango tattoo

>they even go so far as to push patriotism
The DoD literally pays the teams to put on those nationalist spectacles.

washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/11/04/report-at-least-50-teams-were-paid-by-department-of-defense-for-patriotic-displays/?utm_term=.ac1ab715f131

What if I told you people have different opinions than you

Wearing the costume of a hero is for children. Adults actually set out to be heroes themselves.

An Essay on the Culture Wars

Nerd culture now is a spectacle for people too lazy or unmotivated to actually go out and gain some depth or personality. Instead they'd just get a tattoo and show how much they pretend to love the latest Capeshot or Star Wars garbage as a coping mechanism to show that they are all functioning members of society. They are the generation of "Like what the media tells you to like; not like what you genuinely like.", that has been forced upon us since pop cultures birth in the 80s and solidified with the social media phenomenon last decade. These people have no heart, no transparency, they sold their souls by purchasing an iphone because they want to regress back into their childhood because if you point out legit criticisms in Star Wars or Harry Potter then those things can do no wrong because you apparently watched them very young.

I would like your thoughts on this.

If someone can't remember what happens in Jedi then they aren't really a Star Wars fan. Who the fuck are you talking to anyways? Children? It's the weakest of the trilogy but it isn't an awful movie. I'd watch it over the prequels or Disney shit any day of the week.

What I can't stand is the bullshit fandom that surrounds Star Wars. I hate the fanboy bullshit that's ruining the series thanks to Disney being the heartless, soulless corporation it is and marketing solely to them because they'll eat up anything that says Star Wars and praising each new movie as the best Star Wars yet.