Today I will remind them

Today I will remind them

nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/04/03/television-tests-tinseltown/film-is-art-television-is-a-medium

Has anyone stopped this madman yet?

>BTFOs liberals
>BTFOs alt-cucks
>recognises kino
>hates pandering
>brings gems to the public
>calls steve mcqueen a fucking trashman
/areguy/

The Youtube commenter of film critics.

Does he like anything on TV?

>The value of art depends on the values of the art critic.
>Most art is born as imitation, not innovation.
>The critic, not the artist, is the one who defines innovation, and rates it.
>The artist is merely a vehicle for the aesthetic/ideology of the critic.
>The critic is the real artist.

He is 100% right.
I have yet to see a single tv show/series that didn't blow shitdick.
All those praised tv shows like The Wire, Mad Men, Breaking Bad etc. are nothing but pleb shit for redditors who like tho think of themselves as intellectuals, but merely have an average IQ.

I completely agree though

Why do people hate him again?

Only cucks hate him.

I would agree, but the original Star trek and twilight zone change my opinion. Legimately fantastic media.
Contemporary television, yes. It's literally banal things happen for hours upon hours.

>worshiping a nigger

This is why Sup Forums sucks

This dude does more for race relations than any activist.

It's very strange that Sup Forums likes him despite his niggery look.

It makes sense, when you have to make something drawn out for a season, it's too much. Something ends up watered down along the way. You can make art that lasts 2 hours, asking it to go for an episodic 8 hours+ is unfeasible.

If he saw Better Call Saul he would delete that

>tfw film studies professor said tv is "for people who don't like to think" and that we should be watching artfilms instead

I asked if he at least saw Breaking Bad, but then he just snickered at me.

Good professor
Stay in that class.

Denzel Washington has clearly not seen The Wire then, or The Sopranos. I can see why Sup Forums likes him, he's just a non anonymous shitposter.

It's true. This is why novels are the lowest form of art. If you can't tell a story in a sentence, then it isn't worth telling.

Of all the shots you could've taken, you went with that one.

That's not what he's saying retard. He's saying movies and film are television, and that television that has transcended the medium become film. Everything starts out as television, even movies, but if they have artistic merit, they become film. So The Wire, Mad Men, The Shield are all television shows as well as film.

Those are extreme outliers.

idgaf. they prove him to be little more than a HAHAHAHA poster

This has me unironically thinking.

Did you even read the fucking article, kid?

>He is 100% right.
>I have yet to see a single tv show/series that didn't blow shitdick.
I'm going to argue with you or him since I have no idea what you like on TV in the past 50 years of programming.

Eh, I agree with now.

I usually hate Armond White, but he's actually spot on.

Every sentence there is the absolute factual truth, television is definitely an inferior form of a visual medium compared to film.

Are you just baiting or an actual retard that lacks basic reading comprehension skills?

If I watch television on a big enough screen does it become art?

>this amount of mental gymnastics

Where do miniseries fall?

Medium art?

What about a TV movie that you watch on a big screen.

>mfw niggers try to say anything

Miniseries are usually just produced to give the producer content, that's why it's always a Netflix Original miniseries or an HBO miniseries. Real artists aren't in charge of that shit.

What about when movie directors and crew make a TV show?

this is true but I believe tv shows have potential to be great, it just hasn't happened yet.

>thinking Sup Forums has any credibility to judge what is and isn't art
chucklingkike.jpeg

you mean when universally acclaimed director jew jew abrahms directed a series with no conclusions and horrendous story telling? Face it, LOST was not art. It was a series of cliff hangers and mysteries to get retarded television watches to keep tuning in.

Fishing With John?

So hes self righteous.

Fuck stingy critics, its easy to hate things.

>another ignorant that thinks "art" means "beauty"

is there a smear campaign against this guy? You can't just post a picture of the guy and copy some bullshit written by a nobody

>It's generally accepted that television is a producer's, or show runner's, format, where content is developed to support advertising, but all this talk about "television's golden age" overlooks the fact that television has never proven to be a medium for artists -- or auteurs -- who express themselves personally and, primarily, visually.
This isn't applicable to television anime, aside from auteurship being more diluted (but not absent). On the other hand, it doesn't say anywhere that one man's singular artistic vision is the only valid way of producing art, and even movie directors collaborate with others and may have to make compromises.

What the fuck, television anime is made to sell to otaku and teenagers. You really think there is any artistic merit in underaged panty shots?

>What the fuck, television anime is made to sell to otaku and teenagers
"Otaku" doesn't really mean anything, and saying that something is targeting otaku doesn't mean anything either. I don't think Japan makes much of if any distinction between teenagers and adults like Westerners do, and it's also not an argument to say that something is allegedly targeted at teenagers.

>You really think there is any artistic merit in underaged panty shots?
You really think anime consists of nothing but or primarily of "underaged panty shots"? Why were "underaged panty shots" the first thing you thought of?

Despite what liberals may shill,
Sup Forums is not racist.

We are a board of Peace.

Do HBO/Showtime/Netflix count as TV since they are ad free?

Westworld was art.

The Dekalog exists...

Yes, deserved it for his plebbit opinions.

>Westworld was art.
kill yourself

the BBC - Big Black Critique

>Do HBO/Showtime/Netflix count as TV since they are ad free?

So it isn't Sup Forums with an underaged foot fetish?

Huh, they're very good at pretending.

That's such a stupid analogy. By that logic, film is a medium as well. Think of it as an album of hundreds of photos in a form of a roll. Is this guy a hack?

the television shows themselves are advertisements for the producers, silly goy. Congrats, you fell for it

I thought it was a very simple, yet clear analogy.

Irrefutably the definition of /ourguy/. Weeds out the plebbitors on this board like no other. Truly, we don't deserve you, Armond.

This.

If television is made with high quality characters and explores themes, it is transcends to become a kinoprogramme. At the same time, motion pictures can be so devoid of substance that they are base flicks or movies, not artistic like kino or film.

Based Armond does it again.

thats a quote from scaruffi though

Dick and Dom in da Bungalow.

So films are the directors medium, while television is the producers medium, right?

Film is also a medium, contrarian gaynigger.

So to expand on this, the director is the most important person in a TV anime, there is no "showrunner." There is a lead writer ("series composition"), but the director has the highest rank and decides how the show will be made. Directors typically storyboard episodes, but rarely all of them. Sometimes they also do series composition and personally direct voice actors, or do other things like design work.

Anime is a highly visual medium, and because of the way it's made (storyboarding, drawing, painting) it doesn't have the limitations that live action TV does. Creative freedom and risk-taking are also much higher than in live action TV, seemingly anything goes. Short series lengths help too.

So television can be very similar to film.

indeed

Armon White is the dullest critic in film history

>television is the producers medium,
Television is the advertiser's medium.

Deluded weeb spotted. Anime is the most capitalist mass marketed crap on television

>Film is art

I'm not deluded or a weeb, and anime is actually one of the least capitalist. Late night anime, which by now comprises most anime, is aimed at small audiences and supported directly by them, not by advertising. All the information I've been able to find on anime production suggests that the level of "executive meddling" is very low, and mostly affects voice acting and music. The production committee system minimizes financial risks, and the typical 12 episode long series is not that expensive to produce.

To be honest, that seems like the kind of movie Armond would defend.

That's a flick, not a film.

It's like comparing David Guetta with Beethoven.

experimental and innovative. Dumb and dumber is more kino than anything you've ever seen

>"Catching Fire is another step in the cinema’s destruction, making movies more like television." - Armond White

Say what you want, but you can't deny his texts are interesting.
He is a good critic, in my humble opinion.

t. plebeian

That's what reddit want you to believe
We're quick to call out the jew when he does some jewish trick but we ain't racist

Call me when a movie in the last ten years can scratch the nutsack of shows like The Sopranos or The Young Pope. Movies as "art" has been wholly consumed by foreigners looking for easily digested stories and the corporations looking to sell it to them, don't kid yourselves that random fucking arthouse movies that release a couple times a decade define the medium.

Well it's not like Sopranos defines television either.

THE ABSOLUTE MAD GAY CONSERVATIVE NEGRO

I used The Sopranos because it's an agreeable starting ground here. I'd argue even plebcore art like Banshee puts most modern movies to shame. Or if that's too lowbrow for you what about The Knick? Especially the first season. They're all neutered mass marketed garbage attempting to be the next big thing, the other category is garbage oscar bait for movies like Hidden Figures.

The last movie I saw that I really enjoyed was John Wick 2 because they put a lot of passion into the movie and the choreography, you can see it plastered all over the movie. I'm not looking for high brow life changing stories every time, just some FUCKING ART. Something created with passion and not in a fucking boardroom.

Personally I think TV is getting better on average because it's just a hell of a lot less of a financial risk to make a season of a show than it seems to be a movie. It's why we keep seeing a lot of movie directors jump in on it.

Holy fuck this is so true

All other things being equal, a movie ought to cost less. TV shows also get more and more expensive as they go on. GoT apparently costs $10 million per episode or more now. I think ER got to be the most expensive show of all time just because of the actor salaries.

Armond 'Honorary' White

I completely agree. It's the advertising budget for movies that has inflated their cost massively I believe. That's sort of another problem, TV is more easily advertised because it's advertised within itself quite commonly. You basically ONLY get movie ads when you go to watch other movies. A lot of movies slipped my notice over the years when a simple preview would have probably made me go see them, like Dredd.

Also, advertisers pay for a lot of the costs of a TV show, although as this article mentions that's going downhill. There's not much equivalent for movies without awkward shit like Ford sponsoring Fantastic Four 2.

IT'S GOT A HEMI.

kek you deserved it

>The one who does nothing is the one who does everything.
Classic nigger logic.

I don't want to read the article but I agree with the title.

But what about miniseries such as Roots or John Adams

Who else is on Sup Forums's list of honorary whites?

>calling someone like Armond White an ignorant
Kys pleb, please leave newfag

>are
typical Whitehead

Sounds like he's afraid of becoming irrelevant.