What are your thoughts on this? I liked it better than Mulholland Drive desu

What are your thoughts on this? I liked it better than Mulholland Drive desu.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XRh2L7tJqcI
youtu.be/qjNQxYESm4o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump for an actual film discussion on Sup Forums for once.

I thought it was tripping than mulholland drive but I don't know about better. I liked them both. Inland Empire made my head hurt though.

i bet you're one of the people that "get it", right op?

shit my pants then fell asleep

I don't get it. I don't think there's anything to get. We had to watch it in my critical thinking class. The way my professor explained it is that the film's purpose is to blur the lines between fantasy and reality. You can't tell what's real or a dream. It makes sense when you watch the movie and think of that.

worst lynch, he don't give a fuck anymore

so basically every lynch film ever made?

Shouldn't you be in a capeshit/bill nye thread? Sup Forums-Sup Forums Crossposting subhumans need to leave.

i saw it the cinema by myself when it first came out and i had no idea what the fuck i'd just seen
i couldn't stop thinking about it and then went and watched it again
and i still can't stop thinking about it

It's almost a tie for me because they are both just fantastic. I do prefer Mulholland Drive because the shaky camera in Inland can be too much at times.

Yeah but Inland Empire is a lot more extreme than MH.

Those are the only two David Lynch films I've ever seen. Are there any others you guys feel are better than those two?

>everyone i don't like is a capeshitter/poltard!

s h i g g y

I hate it with passion even though big part of it was shot in the city I used to live. No amount of local patriotism and nostalgia for Eraserhead, TP and Lost Highway is gonna save this turd.

I wouldn't say better, but you should watch the rest of his films and Twin Peaks, they're all pretty good, except Dune and maybe Wild at Heart.

no maybe about it, WaH is dogshit

so is FWWM

It's honestly the only movie where I can say it's all about the "experience" just like what you hear people say when they look at a painting even though I've never got that. The movie I thought was a great capture of what somebody's dream looks like and I know you can say that about all of Lynch's film but the camera he uses and the places Laura Dern gets in like the hooker house and how people act really gives it a "this seems real but something's off" feel that a dream would have. Definitely my favorite right after blue velvet.

All the close ups of people were literally repulsive, especially filmed in digital.

But that was the point I guess.

Eraserhead

Yeah Eraserhead is a special gem, definitely worth checking out.

Also watch The Elephant Man to see the most "normal" Lynch film in terms of the structure, which is a bit funny considering it's a film about a heavily disfigured man with tumors all over his face and body.

youtu.be/XRh2L7tJqcI

Idk why but I loved this scene. I also watched this in the theater so the song was blasting.

Watch Lost Highway.

There were parts that were pure mindfuck kino. The Rabbits were my favorite. Made me feel so uneasy.

youtu.be/qjNQxYESm4o

I love that scene too user. Nothing deep or crazy about it but I just love it.

If there was a cut that replaced the rabbits material with the hour or so of deleted scenes from the dvd it would be his best film.

You're telling me there was supposed to be an hour more?

I don't think I fully "get it" either. But the tagline "A Woman In Trouble" lays out the main recurring theme. Laura Dern's character is an actress, and we're tripping through her memories, fantasies, scenes with characters she's played in the past, apparently a telepathic connection with other women who've had similar experiences, et cetera.

To reduce it down to idiotic terms, it's about the plight of the 7/10. The woman who's attractive and desirable, but not like top-shelf beautiful. All of these women, played by Laura Dern, are constantly getting seduced, manipulated & trapped by men who want her, but don't really love her. Even as they're fucking up her life, they act as if they're "settling" and she should be grateful just to have a man around. She's also forced to deal with the jealousy and resentment of other women who'd like to be desired like she is, even though it doesn't turn out great for her.

She runs into that distorted version of herself, in the end, that basically exaggerates her "ugliness" and reflects it back at her. Shoots it dead, and "helps" the murdered Polish girl who played her character in the past.

There's a hell of a lot of other stuff going on too, the spiritual & supernatural events that I didn't fully understand. But most of Lynch's films are character studies first and foremost, and on that level, this is his most ambitious & unusual exploration of a certain type of woman's struggles. I think it's his greatest film, and certainly the best & most personal role Laura Dern has ever played

Well Lynch had final cut and chose not to put it in.
But you can watch it on the DVD.

It's the only Lynch movie I thought was straight up shit, to be honest.
The cheap cameras and bad acting didn't help.

I think Mulholland Drive is 9/10

>It's honestly the only movie where I can say it's all about the "experience"

That's why I defend Gravity so much, since I saw it in IMAX 3D.

I thought Eraserhead was fucking painful to watch. I had to force myself to finish it.

With that in mind should I give Inland Empire a miss?

This was the list my English (critical thinking w/lit) professor concocted for us all to pick a film from and do a presentation on it. I picked Inland Empire.

R8 my professor's taste in film.

I watched this yesterday desu. I don't know why but I cried during the ending, I had no idea what was going on but I loved it

The Elephant Man and The Straight Story don't do that at all.

Eraserhead doesn't have any "reality" to begin with, and I didn't get any real fantasy elements in Blue Velvet.

The blurring of fantasy and reality really present in Wild at Heart, Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire.

>no fantasy elements in blue velvet
maybe you should watch it again.

If you couldn't get through eraserhead there's no way in hell you can get into inland empire. Eraserhead is entry level honestly.

I know you'd get to love it you gave it a chance now.

Better than I expected.

out of all of those great films you picked this shit? lol

I think Wild At Heart is pretty much meant to be taken at face value, too. His last 3 films are all about internal character development, learning about the protagonist through their subjective dreams, memories & fantasies rather than just "objective" plot events.

Wild at Heart is just his attempt at a wacky road movie. I think it's all meant to be "really happening." Except maybe the vision of the fairy at the end, but I think Nic Cage is supposed to be kinda concussed from his beating when he sees that.

BRUTAL FUCKING MURDER

What are some of the ones you reccomend? I'm going to watch a lot of them but which should I pick first? I was thinking the Lars Von Trier films.

i would have either went with Haneke's "Cache" or Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut"

if you want Von Trier, then i'd go with Melancholia.

*blocks your path

Pretty damn good, wish I had a professor like this.

I imagine Cache is very easy to write about due to its layered themes

He really is a true patrician. He always cuts class short so he can go home and play Zelda.

Tbqhwy Inland Empire is probably one of the hardest picks from that whole list because it's so much about the personal experience and no scene has a singular universal answer to it, Lynch hates symbolism.
I would pick something more literal like Funny Games, but your professor should respect your attempt alone.
Just don't talk stuff like "This scene represented this, the ending means that" because there is no universal answer to those questions in Inland Empire.

I already did my presentation. He even told me ahead of time that I shouldn't try to understand the film. Just talk about how it made me feel. He also likes to talk about post modernism and how it blurs the lines of fact and fiction so I related I.E. to postmodernism during my presentation.

The deleted scenes make the entire premise of the film painfully transparent. Are you allowed to talk about deleted scenes in an analytical essay?
When I was at school we read books on science instead of watching movies.

Well it's a college level English class. The whole point of the class is to make read or watch something, think deeply about it, then write about it. We mostly have been using literature and poetry but the same can be done with films as well.

Hey! Look at me and tell me if you've known me before.

>Yes, we will do that.

That always pops up in my head randomly.

Does anybody understand the connection with Poland and why Poland was so significant in this film?

Wew lads. Mind if I join?

Try Mulholland Drive.
If you can't enjoy that, you can't enjoy Lynch.

It's very different from Eraserhead, and much more driving and thrilling.