Your language:

>your language:
Does it have a vulgar and a formal variant?

>Japanese
Yes. Formal Japanese is almost like a different language. Kinda difficult to master even for Japanese

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Portuguese#Language_Register_-_Formal_vs._Informal
youtu.be/FnLDAzZZUEU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Portuguese#Language_Register_-_Formal_vs._Informal

>The linguistic situation of the BP informal speech in relation to the standard language is controversial. There are authors who describe it as a case of diglossia, considering that informal BP has developed – both in phonetics and grammar – in its own particular way.

>Accordingly, the formal register of Brazilian Portuguese has a written and spoken form. The written formal register (FW) is used in almost all printed media and written communication, is uniform throughout the country and is the "Portuguese" officially taught at school. The spoken formal register (FS) is essentially a phonetic rendering of the written form. (FS) is used in very formal situations, such as speeches or ceremonies or when reading directly out of a text. While (FS) is necessarily uniform in lexicon and grammar, it shows noticeable regional variations in pronunciation.

Hindi and Urdu are the same. Almost no one can speak the formal version well. The politicians there like to take advantage of people's impressionism by appearing to have a good flair in it, and therefore appearing intelligent.

armenian

yes classical armenian which has many words which we do not use on a daily basis

english

i dunno bud. go fuck yerself

>Yankee English
Only a vulgar variant

In America, we have AAVE (slang invented by black people) that most people use on a daily basis, and normal English used for work and stuff. Though it is socially acceptable use AAVE at work and school nowadays, only virgin white dudes try and avoid using AAVE.

Proper Queen's English is something you're born into. The mannerisms, vocabulary, it's just a different class to standard British English. Most Brits speak with their regional accents and are much more casual and easy on the ears.

>Does it have a vulgar and a formal variant?
english
I do not know

At least half of he country speaks basic Spanish, no complex words and they don't use many synonyms, usually they say "güey" every. Damn. Sentence. With other vulgar sentences for every situation. And they shorten words and use a damn hight pitched voice it hurts.

English is informal by default

youtu.be/FnLDAzZZUEU

Most Japanese I've talked to can't understand this.

That's not the same, even people using vulgar slang are speaking pretty standard Spanish regardless of the vocabulary set.

is formal hindi the one that is taught or what?

nigspeak and real english is almost two different languages

It's just old old Japanese.

Yes

Formal
>minun mielestäni sinä teit juuri paskan langan

Vulgar
>mun mielest sä teit just paskan langa

Yes but Americans mostly only know British English from nature documentaries that have some posh Oxford grad narrating and going "During the dry season in Malawi, water is scare and many wildebeests fall victim to lion predation."

AAVE isn't slang user.

Choice = Tense \ Choices = Tensions
選擇=時態\選擇=緊張
選擇=緊張\選擇=緊張

Past (Choice):Then:Compression
Present (Choice):Now:Compassion
Future (Choice):Later:Reading Comprehension

過去的(選擇):則:壓縮
目前(選擇):現在:同情
未來(選擇):後來:閱讀理解

過去の(選択):次に:圧縮
現在(選択):今すぐ:思いやり
フューチャー(選択):後:読解

Past>Then>Compression<
Present>Choices>NowChoicesReading Comprehension的壓縮<
現在>選項>查閱選擇閱讀理解圧縮<
現在>選択肢>今すぐ選択肢読解

>Eastern Aramaic

A formal variant was created for spiritual & (I think) scientific literature after the establishment of a Protestant printing press in northwestern Iran in the 19th century. I believe it simply adapted the corpus of traditional expressions to modern grammar and used that as the pattern.

Besides that, there is the language of the classical corpus itself which is occasionally used. The vulgar counterpart being technically extinct through linguistic shifts.

I don't know how difficult or different it is, but the vocabulary can be quite unusual, that's what I know.

I guess yes
"Tu" for vulgar
"Vous" for formal or several persons
The verb changes with it ofc
But it stops there
You also use double negation in formal speech (when usually you only use it when you write)

>Russian
It doesn't, same as english. The formality it all about choosing more formal verbs/nouns/adjectives and not using informal words.
There's a "literature" kinda language, but it's the same as the language used in older english novels - it just has many fancy and unused words and a funky word order.

Every language has this.

Native Anglophones who are be confused by Japanese honorifics are 1) shit at Japanese and 2) shit at English.

T.ching chang chong

Ebonics

That's not the whole picture, while lower classes may use the informal variant in their speech most people of the upper classes don't. It's kind off a tool used to determine people's background from the way they speak. The real formal variant could be the use of verbs in the second person of singular and plural ("tu" and "vos"), and the language in wich scientific documents are written, this form of portuguese is spoken by almost no one and truly requires a deep understanding of the language.

Yes, but it's just some vocabulary and phrasing and how much of your dialect or accent you let shine through.

Good thread

>Does it have a vulgar and a formal variant?
Well yes and no at the same time.
Vulgar Russian has lots of swearing and informal words, but basically it is the same language.

Not true. Your slang is incomprehensible for the rest of us

In Finnish the difference between formal and vulgar is like between Latin and Vulgar Latin.
There's like a spectrum, from smart to smart casual to casual.
Speaking formal Finnish doesn't come naturally for me. We don't really practise it in school either, other than reading aloud from texts. Essays and exams are written in formal.
Most written stuff is in formal, but casual throwaway messages are in vulgar.

Smart casual would be, maybe, using "hän" (he/she) in stead of "se" (it) for persons.

どうでもええがな。ほっとけ。

Yes but they dont switch between the two they stick with the one the were born with.

In English it's just choice of vocabulary that separates formal speech

Poor people speak a different language, sometimes I barely can understand them.

The poorer you are it seems the more coarse your speech becomes, poorfags tend to make their voice sound deeper to appear more tough.
When in formal situations you should refer to the respected person in the plural in order not to offend. You aren't their pal after all.

Spanish.
Yes, chilean spanish is a whole different language, almost impossible to understand unless youre chilean or have mapuche heritage.

Yes, it's funny because our informal language is all over the place. It's borrowed mainly from german and croatian/serbian languages.
In the past German used to be considered the language of the upper class and the Slovenian used to be the language of the peasants. Now days using borrowed words of germany is mainly informal language. Formal language is just using proper Slovenian words.
For vulgarity we rely heavily on the croatian/serbian languages. It's really hard to just curse in Slovenian because it sounds weird like you're trying to be polite.

The formal type of Norwegian is derived from the upper class of 19th century Oslo. The spoken language around the Oslofjord is very similar to it, while the rest of the country is pretty different. Everyone at least understands it though.