OK I am now going to prove to you that there is NO continuity error in Seven Samurai

OK I am now going to prove to you that there is NO continuity error in Seven Samurai.

Michael Jeck on the commentary on the Criterion DVD says there is, and that theory has made its way onto the IMDB page. WRONG

Be my guest, OP

What Jeck claims is this.
1) The bandits start out with three guns.
2) Kyuzo captures one.
3) Kikuchiyo captures another.
4) The bandits now only have 1 gun.
5) There are two gunshots in succession.
6) Gorobei is kill.

Jeck says "there can't possibly have been two gunshots in succession from one matchlock gun. Continuity error."

But here's what really happens.
(pic of Gorobei that should have been posted on last post)

wow that clears up the two guns. thanks op.

1) The bandits start out with 3 guns.

2) Kyuzo goes off and brings back one gun and kills two of the bandits.

3) Katsushiro raves about Kyuzo to Kikuchiyo.
4) Kikuchiyo decides to equal Kyuzo.
5) Kikuchiyo leaves his post to go get a gun.

6) Kikuchiyo kills a bandit and comes back with a gun.

7) Kambei chews him out about deciding to do it on his own and leaving his post.

8) Kikuchiyo gets fed up with frickin' Kambei.
9) Kikuchiyo THROWS THE GUN ON THE GROUND.........

10) and AT THAT MOMENT, they realize they are under attack from Kikuchiyo's vacant post.

11) There's a very confused fight.
12) The bandits are surging in from all directions.
13) Only a few of the samurai are at the "gap".
14) Two of the bandits get into the town and are roaming around.
15) We hear two shots.........

16) ...and Gorobei is kill.

The intended implication is: in the confusion, the bandits RETOOK THE OTHER GUN, and now had TWO GUNS to shoot Gorobei with.

So OK, I admit that it's not emphasized and it's a little hard to put together. They should have had a shot of a bandit actually picking up the gun again and running out. Maybe they filmed something like that and it didn't work for some reason.
But there are other things like that in the movie too. For instance, the instant that Kikuchiyo's big sword breaks, I didn't see it. When Jeck pointed it out, I still couldn't see it. I had to watch that couple of seconds several times to see wtf he was talking about. It could have been clearer, but maybe they went with the best shot that they could get.
So I'm convinced that the bandit retaking the gun is what Kurosawa was going for.

ok

Convinced?
Good!
My work is done here.

I hereby accept this explanation. Blessing be upon your work.

>implying

Autism is real.

Good job OP is not a fagget for once

It doesn't matter either way. It's a small aspect of the film. Any number of things could have happened. The samurai could have counted wrong. The bandits could have only shown 3 guns because one was jammed and they only fixed it later. A gun plant bloomed and the bandits picked one of the fruit. It literally doesn't matter.

This is actually a classic Sup Forums-style post. I don't listen to commentary tracks and can't remember Japanese names because they're gobbledygook to me and don't watch black and white films or films with subtitles, but OP seems to know what he's talking about and has coupled his theory with relevant screencaps from the 70s television show he loves. That's very reminiscent of the pre-ReCAPTCHA era of Sup Forums, when you could freely imagedump and make comment about cool stuff you had knowledge about like Lost and Legend of the Seeker.

According to OP, Michael Jack made a declaration on the commentary (this is on a Criterion release, mind you, something that will stick in the public mind for generations) that asserts an error. Maybe it's like you say and it doesn't matter either way, but this guy's assertion has made its way, according to OP (I don't visit IMDb or any other pages which require javascript or egregiously cross-site request) onto IMDb so it's clearly gaining cultural traction. So hey, maybe even if it doesn't matter either way, both viewpoints should be heard, because -- and I will never know because I do not plan on watching this or any of Kurosawa's movies unless he is resurrected and films one in English and colour -- perhaps OP is on to something.

>I don't listen to commentary tracks

Well that's fine user jus-

>don't watch black and white films or films with subtitles

Why are you even on this board? You have no interest in film. Fuck off or watch more.

Maybe there was a fourth gun you cunt.

YIFY quality rip, VIP quality analysis. Good posts!

I watch and appreciate films on a daily basis, they're just in the language I have native proficiency in (and therefore can focus my attention on the visuals without having to have my attention and comprehension distracted by reading graffiti on the bottom of the screen) and in full colour, sometimes in 3D, because that is the technology of the current era and also the recently past era.

Primitive filmmaking is a curiosity but not necessary to immerse oneself in in order to appreciate film. I have actually viewed a Kurosawa film, now that I think about it: it was called Dreams, and it was worse than every single Woody Allen film I've seen, and I've seen most of them.

I love film, I love colour, and I love the English language. I think you'll find that most people around the world prefer watching films in modern formats in their own languages. Your opinion is elitist and bizarre.

I don't agree with you at all but your reasoning is sound

You watched one of Kurosawa's last films, released when he was 80? Do you realize that that might not be characteristic of his oeuvre?
Watch The Hidden Fortress (one of the inspirations for Star Wars), and if you find that not too hard to stomach, watch Seven Samurai next.

His opinion is open and inclusive, whereas yours is hindered and stupid.

That's all.

There are over two thousand films produced each year globally. It's not possible to watch them all. A man has to have some standards. Ideally, these should be based upon his own preferences, attachments, psyche, upbringing, traditions, honour, creeds, codes, and even peccadilloes.

Heck, the name Criterion explicitly (etymologically) refers to exclusivity and judgment. Why hasn't Pauly Shore's oeuvre ever been considered for inclusion? Is it open or not, reddit spacer?