Did the studios fuck this up or the writers?

Did the studios fuck this up or the writers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vs5_JQeJPbU?t=1m
youtu.be/x4xun1vi4C0
youtube.com/watch?v=sF0QLtk3YH0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'll actually go with the writers. Overall the movie wasn't as bad as most reviewers made it out to be, and the white-washing casting they all focused on was a complete non-issue. The production values were great overall, and it looked gorgeous, barring the god-awful wig on Johansen (a fuller bob-cut rather than the thin bedraggled looking thing).

It's just the writers dumbed it down a lot and tacked on that stupid tropey origins story to the Major's history and it dragged what was decent plot to the mud. Actually enjoyed the final fight too though it was missing the bit where the cannonfire wrecks the evolution/tree of life wall frieze.

i blame Rupert Sanders for fuck up. what i get from Scarlett try keep many of themes.

>Did the studios fuck this up or the writers?

Both

Why did they cast an aging ukranian woman as the major?

From what I read, the story was originally going to have themes much closer to the original, but they studio thought it would bore braindead audiences, so they had them change it.

in english, doc!

They cut some of the more higher brow scenes from the movie.

So if they'd already shot some more intellectually involved stuff it's safe to assume studio execs had already put their grubby shit-stained fingers into the mix and dumbed it down. Further evidence is that there was supposedly six or seven writers, in a row not at once.

>From what I read, the story was originally going to have themes much closer to the original, but they studio thought they would be sued for plagiarism by the makers of Blade Runner, so they had them change it.

ftfy

I think the movie is fine, but they succeeded in making it un-marketable to ANYONE.

The internet will get butt-hurt in a hurry, which totally nixed out the geekier crowd that could've rolled out for this. All it left was people who had name recognition with Scarlett. This could have dominated April with no similar block-bustery stuff to compete with. Remember Deadpool last year?

Not really, there's been "director's cut" rumors floating around, but I saw a test screening back in January, it was basically the same.

> more higher brow

This is how genre media nerds who think they're clever talk. jej

> All it left was people who had name recognition with Scarlett.

So you're saying that it lost the basement-dwelling orange-dicked permavirgins, and had only normal people watch movies to fall back on? I don't think that was the main issue.

I remember reading somewhere that test audiences didn't like an older version so it was touched up to please their type. Dunno how true that it

>we will never get to see the brain network

With the box-office? Yes. Regular people who didn't know the property passed it hard as well, it had almost nothing but poor reviews that had to dance around white-washing issues, and displeased fans.

It was the weekend Boss Baby came out, if you can't lock in your audience, a family pleasing movie will absolutely bury you.

I guess it was writers overall and the fact that the test audience was too stupid so they decided to change / remove a lot of things

Both. From what I see the story is bad in its origin. It's a deadly mistake to make identity of Major a priority. Another is Kuse relation to Major. The dialogs also sound bad.

The studio is also responsible for the quality of the writing. Then it is responsible for everything else

They've underestimated how much of former weeaboos, modern internet media "journalists" are. Those wannabe purists will trash any unfaithful american adaptations that doesn't compensate by being kino.

>what i get from Scarlett try keep many of themes.
what i mean is that from her interviews on the press tour she try keep many theme in the movie

>the writers?
The writers write what they're told. Then the producers butcher it some, then the director butchers it some more and then the studio butchers it again.

Yeah turning the Major into fucking Robocop is retarded but if you're told to write an android instead of a robot, you write a fucking android.

The people who fucked up were the ones who thought this needed to happen and the ones that bankrolled it and created one of the most unoriginal and derivative pieces of sci-fi in a genre itself that hasn't innovated in years. And that is no small feat.

jew writers cant into anime.

test audience

>the god-awful wig on Johansen

That is actually her real hair. That one of the reason it looks as awful as it does.

youtu.be/vs5_JQeJPbU?t=1m

the writers had no clue. the director also had no clue on what made gits good
at the end, test audiences killed it

Majority of people think anime is fucking stupid.

>
>>the god-awful wig on Johansen
>That is actually her real hair. That one of the reason it looks as awful as it does.
>youtu.be/vs5_JQeJPbU?t=1m

Johansen don't understand the Motoko hair cut
Punk hair cut, not a Emo hair cut

In a movie like this the writers have almost no power. They have to write what the studio and director want or get replaced.

What does Blade Runner have to do with anything?

And why would that majority be aware of Ghost in the Shell?

I thought it was was actually pretty decent, better than I expected.

japs can't into anime either because japanese cartoons are dogshit.

Studios. It's literally impossible to make a massive big budget movie and have the studio not fuck with it, because you're playing with their money and they're in it to turn a profit. By that same token, if a movie ends up being shit a studio will usually finish it and release it just to try and get some of the money back.

You can tell the studio was responsible just fron the casting. Big name stars get attached to big budget projects in the hopes it will bring in box office simply because an audience may want to see that celebrity and therefore trick people into seeing a movie. The actors also sometimes make demands along with the studio and the producers and the project may look nothing like the original idea.

There's a great documentary out there on the making of the 90's version of The Island of Dr Moreau. The studio ruined the film chasing big name stars. Val Kilmer even personally ruined the career of the original writer/director having him fired from his own film project and forced James Woods out. Marlon Brando hated Kilmer and thought he was a cunt and was also purposely trying to screw with the studio because he hated film studios. The studio though wss just trying to make their money back on what was becoming a bigger and bigger budget movie after someone stupidly decided they could get Marlon Brando to do the movie, and if they had him they needed more stars.

It's the best animation in the world.

The doc on the making of Island of Dr. Moreau. The Brando stories make it at least worthwhile. You also see how Hollywood really works.

youtu.be/x4xun1vi4C0

me too

triggered shlomi

everything was fucked up besides the visuals and batou surprisingly enough

Best animated on an average basis? sure. Everything else about it is dogshit, though.

Also you can thank the Koreans for the shows being well animated :^).

By animation I meant the medium, not just the animation itself. And it isn't shit even when compared to live action.

Only a little of the animation is outsourced to Korea, usually in-betweening. The vast majority of all production work occurs in Japan.

>weebs unironically think trash cartoons like this are not only good, but the best medium out there

They aren't trash or cartoons, and in the realm of animation anime is the best. It also matches or exceeds live action in many respects.

There was nothing "fedora" about what I said. Try again.

Lol, most anime has shittier writing, plot progression, story, and characters than the average western cartoon.

Keep deluding yourself. weeb. Just because it has better average animation doesn't mean it's better than everything else, let alone good.

Keep telling yourself that, weeaboo.

Your post embodied fedora m8

go wash your neckbeard

Very few American shows even have stories, almost all of them are episodic. Not only that, but they are almost entirely limited to comedies and almost entirely aimed at children.

>weeb
I'm not a weeb.

>Just because it has better average animation doesn't mean it's better than everything else, let alone good.
It is better than other animation in the world, and as I just said it matches or exceeds live action in many respects.

I'm not a weeaboo.

There was nothing "fedora" about what I said.

The studio thought Scarlet Johansson could carry an action film. They were wrong. She has no charisma and she doesn't really come across as a mega-babe any more either.

They abandoned too much of the philosophy from the original in favour of making it more focused on the Major with a new cliched boring backstory.

Lastly you can't really promote a scifi film on special effects any more. The trailers told you a lot about the settings, not a great deal about what the film was actually about. It needed to show off some neat creative action scenes to be a draw.

>it matches or exceeds live action in many respects.

wew

It does. That's why I said it does. Live action television for example doesn't have the same level of visual quality and creativity, or the same quality of music, or the same amount of variety.

I could take a shit and film it and it would be more interesting than your standard chinese cartoon

No.

Yes?

Explain what makes anime superior.

Your right, but sadly the Japanese, Chinese and koreans have need to take a master class and look at the true kino of not just anime, but entertainment arts in general....

The masterpiece known as Rick and Morty.

From the beautifully simplicity of the artstyle (something eastern anime has yet to achieve), to the groundbreaking and truly thought provoking themes, to the multidimensional (quite literally) story arcs, it achieves what eastern anime....neigh.....the entertainment world has yet to; perfection.

Superior to what?

Yes? Is there something you want to say?

Anime is still shit, kid. sorry to tell you that.

>not a weeb
Yes you are.

That logically means everything is shit.

>Yes you are.
Prove it.

>Your right, but sadly the Japanese, Chinese and koreans have need to take a master class and look at the true kino of not just anime, but entertainment arts in general....

I don't know why you're acting like anyone but Japan makes anime when anime means Japanese cartoons.

>inb4 le koreans animate all anime

Fuck off.

Animu cartoons are garbage my man. Time to grow up.

And also, I'm older than you.

Should have got Guillermo Del Toro. That fat white mexican understands things like GitS. His direction, writing, and producing could have made it a decent movie.

I also would have used one of the side stories from the first manga, like Dumb Barter. Just don't bother the Major's origin or touch on the freshmen philosophy class story elements. Just show cyborg cops operating operationally against narcos. Make it goofy, violent, and lewd like Shirow. Leaving some Easter eggs of the Puppeteer scattered through the movie. So we can set up a plot for a sequel or two.

Find someone better than ScarJo. How the fuck does she keep getting these roles? All she ever does is be stoic and monotone. When the Major isn't like that at all until near the end of the Puppeteer story. Then she eventually lightens up again in later stories.

Less fighting action form the Major, and more hacking and cyber space diving. Her body is state of the art and super human, but in a world full of cyborgs, she isn't the fastest or strongest out there. She wins by being the smartest thing out there.

it was weeb animeshit. doomed from the start.

They aren't cartoons, and if they are garbage then it means everything is.

>That logically means everything is shit.
Maybe, but the best western cartoons are still miles and miles better than the best anime. Most tv shows being garbage isn't news, but anime takes the cake in that regard.

Wrong.

I'm sorry the vast superiority of western anime like Rick and Morty triggers you.

Anime 10% means japanese cartoons. time to stop being delusional, caleb.

>cartoons aren't cartoons

Both but it also could have been a lot worse than it was.

>fat white mexican

Del Toro hates white people though, men in particular

>wrong

Also western anime doesn't exist.

100%*

No, anime is overwhelmingly and objectively better than American animation.

>Most tv shows being garbage isn't news, but anime takes the cake in that regard.
Anime has better visuals, better music, more variety, shorter lengths, more story-driven shows, and more artistic freedom, and lacks the limitations of live action television.

Anime and cartoons are different forms of animation.

>western anime does not exist

Wrong. I'm sorry, again, that superior western anime has surpassed, by many times over, Japanese anime.

>they aren't cartoons
whatever you say retard.

Anime belongs in the trash senpai.

You're getting BTFO and frankly it's getting a little embarrassing.

>Western Japanese Cartoons
No.

Anime is the best animation in the world.

Stating a fact does not make someone a retard.

Then logically everything belongs in the trash.

>You're getting BTFO
No, I'm winning. Why are you lying?

>but the best western cartoons are still miles and miles better than the best anime

Just SHUT UP

youtube.com/watch?v=sF0QLtk3YH0

>Anime and cartoons are different forms of animation.
Anime is literally just Japanese Cartoons. Time to grow up son.

latin americans are trying to pull the same shit the jews do. where they are and aren't white when it suits them.

though not all latin americans are white.

Anime literally means animation, not cartoon.

I'm older than you.

>Anime is the best animation in the world.
Lol, Japs aren't even the best animators in asia. KYS weeb.

>Anime is the best animation in the world.

Wrong, that would be Rick and Morty, an anime that pushes beyond the current norm.

They are, and I'm not a weeb.

it's true but not all of it obviously

>Anime literally means animation
Wrong. Anime means Japanese Cartoons. Every dictionary will support this and every single country on the globe has a different word for what they would call a "Cartoon".

Anime is short for animeeshon, which is the Japanese pronunciation/spelling of animation. Anime literally means animation. It has no relation to the word cartoon.

Out of date, does not account for the earth shattering masterpiece that is Rick and Morty.

Japs can't compete.

>They are, and I'm not a weeb.
I want you to prove both of those statements.

You need to prove that they aren't the best animators in Asia, and you need to prove that I am a weeb.

every one fucked this up, this movie was so fucking basic, like assassin's creed

>It has no relation to the word cartoon.
That image you posted earlier in attempting to BTFO me proves otherwise.

Sorry faggot, anime = japanese cartoons.

It wasn't that good in the first place. They somehow made it worse.
Hollywood can't even make a good adaptation of chink children's cartoon, really makes you think.

That definition is incorrect. Cartoons and anime are separate forms of animation.

Chinks and Gooks are better than them.

tfwnocyberpunkgf

>That definition is incorrect.
So now it's incorrect when it no longer works in your favor? Okay buddy.

Why would they be?

It's incorrect because it's incorrect.

You're incorrect because you're incorrect. Anime is the worst media form and certainly the worst cartoon form.