Midnighter #12 Storytime

The last chapter of Midnighter's wild ride is here. Let's see how it ends Sup Forums.

>that Authority nod
Based.

Was about to storytime.

>Phalanx pistol from Mass Effect
Aco, I usually can get past your poser for your sick panelling and coloring but that one was too obvious

Great use of Multiplex

Apollo a cute

That heat vision looks more like he's shooting blood from his eyes.

>the lamp looks like the Sun
not too subtle

>Apollo taking the enemy out of a populated city
Apart from BvS which was fixing MoS' mistakes, I can't really remember this happening that much in the comics either.

Goodnight, sweet prince. You will be missed.

>Authority reference on the first page
Nice

My badass hero.

Based Waller

It doesn't happen much because require both the fighters to be around Superman level and not wanting a "simple" aerial battle

I don't think I've ever really shipped dudes. But this is cute as fuck, goddamn.

Yeah, ACO's use of assets sometimes bothers me too.

The fucker looks so pleased with himself, I can't help grinning along

Great last set of panels there.

I'll fucking miss this. Fuck I'm emotional. thanks Orlando.

PUT HIM ON THE SUICIDE SQUAD ALREADY

Fuck you, Orlando, for making me ship two guys

>On Midnighter

>To start things off, the first and most important thing to say is, I don’t already know how this ends. I thought I did — but I don’t. I’ve said it before, but working on MIDNIGHTER has been an honor. Getting to take a character that helped me when I was younger and boost the signal to a new generation has been an honor. And honestly, to beat the odds with a character people that people doubted, or didn’t know what to expect from, has been an honor.

>From the time issue one hit, I knew we had something special. Messages would come to me, either through social media, or meetings at conventions — “Midnighter gave me the strength to come out.” “Midnighter helped my friend come out.” “I’ve been waiting for a book that spoke to my life for decades — my whole life.”

>Midnighter, in all his Bauhaus violent glory, was doing what I hoped—— bringing strength.

.Because I hoped from the start that even though he’s not perfect, and not a role model in all ways, that that could be precisely why we love him, and why we identify with him.

>Midnighter is a very human character, filtered through a superhero lens. Like so many of us, he’s had bad things happen to him in his past, and just like we must, he’s finding a way to move past it and make a life. He’s not defined by his past, he’s defined by his present. It doesn’t haunt him. Despite being abused, experimented on, and kidnapped, he finds joy.

>And whatever we face in life, that is, I think, or hope, what we’re looking for.

I like his dynamic with Deadshot, but I doubt anyone could put a bomb in him (especially with Apollo around), and the chances of him volunteering to work with the likes of Harley and Lawton are null.

>but I doubt anyone could put a bomb in him
Didn't that legit happen in Ennis' run? He'd work with Waller.

>I couldn’t be prouder of what we created with MIDNIGHTER – “we” being the kick-ass people that worked together to make the book a reality: ACO, especially, made the book his own and brought his work to a whole different level for our own gay badass who lives by action movie rules. But we wouldn’t have gotten there without support from Alec Morgan, Stephen Mooney, Hugo Petrus, Jeromy Cox, Romulo Fajardo Jr, Jared Fletcher, Tom Napolitano, Mark Doyle, Chris Conroy, Dave Wielgosz, Alex Antone, Brittany Holzherr, Michael Shelling and Clark Bull.

>And what did we do? We gave you the baddest man in the DCU, and he was a gay man that didn’t care what anyone thought about him. He was 100% true to himself at all times. He was the guy that even other heroes in the DCU would see in a fight and say “damn, that was cool.” He was a fighter — but not a mindless one. He was someone who could be incredibly caring and just as incredibly violent if you crossed him or the people he cared about.

>And most of all, finally, for people who had maybe been waiting their whole lives, he was all these things, and he was gay. And that wasn’t his sole characterization or his only definition, but for once, the hero in the driver’s seat, the hero leading the book, got to be gay. And that’s powerful. The man that never lets you down, that hears you when no one else will, the hero that doesn’t want to be an urban legend, but instead a reality for anyone that hurts others — he got to be gay.

Yeah, but that involved time-traveling and shit, so his teammates weren't able to help him.

>And most of all, finally, for people who had maybe been waiting their whole lives, he was all these things, and he was gay. And that wasn’t his sole characterization or his only definition, but for once, the hero in the driver’s seat, the hero leading the book, got to be gay. And that’s powerful. The man that never lets you down, that hears you when no one else will, the hero that doesn’t want to be an urban legend, but instead a reality for anyone that hurts others — he got to be gay.

>Midnighter was the one that terrorized the terrorizers. He put fear in the stomachs of those who traffic in fear on a daily basis. He was the ultimate check for people who cross the line — and that competent, strong, unwavering fighter got to be gay. And he got the respect. He got to win the day.

>And I am so happy that got to happen, so proud of it. Because queer people, non-binary people, people of any minority — we can be anything. We can be the heroes, we can win the day, we can be strong, and we don’t have to live to anyone’s expectations but out own.

>And that’s what made MIDNIGHTER special. Yes, if you ask me, we had one of the best damn action books on the shelves. A book that crossed boundaries and brought you moments never before seen in comics. Hell, we killed someone with a porterhouse steak, and stuck Midnighter in a bullet and shot him into space!

>But beneath the blockbuster action, there is an icon that says without question: only you define yourself, no matter who you are, and absolute belief in that is all you need to be strong as hell.

>Thank you so much for reading...

thesteveorlando.blogspot.com/2016/05/tostart-things-off-first-and-most.html

Based Orlando. Fuck, I'll miss this book and I'm not even part of the lgbt crowd.

The book and character meant great deal to him. Because I think this was his first cape stuff and because he identifies with the character a lot. All I can hop is he gets to work on the character again.

I love that despite being a sadistic bastard, Middy is literally the most well-adjusted hero out there, what with having civilian friends he constantly hangs out with that know all about what he does and generally having a normal social life without any complications that could come with having a secret identity, all because he just doesn't give a fuck.

>Tony wearing an Authority shirt
kek, A+ bro

Ha, didn't notice.

>three top-tier looks in three pages
We /fa/shion now.
How can any other hero compare?

Best couple DC has hands down.

>someone who could be incredibly caring and just as incredibly violent
This perfectly encapsulates Midnighter, and differentiates him from someone like the Punisher.

Oh Apollo, can't you go one fight without getting your nice suit all torn up? You beautiful bastard.

>implying the punisher didn't care about muh family

Great run

I don't think he can emotionally connect with anyone currently. He isn't as well together and emotionally stable as Middy.

He does, but you've gotta admit that Frank and most other vigilantes are kind of emotionally constipated. By contrast, Middy's rather open about what he feels, be it anger towards enemies or love towards friends.

>You think I don't know that.
Based Middy.

My favorite thing about him is that he literally doesn't give a fuck about what other people think about him and that's what allows him to be so open with his emotions.
Like compare how Bats gets prissy about being flown by Supes and how Middy allows Apollo to carry him bridal style in front of their enemies. Absolutely no fucks given.

It was a wild ride, I still regret not buying this in my LCS, but I probably would have if they actually stocked the damn thing.

There is something I don't get - if he can rip people apart with his hands why the fuck would he need any melee weapons?

You could've just asked them to order it for you.

Who? Middy? He's peak human, not superpowered the way Apollo is.

He probably finds them fun.

>peak human
M8, I don't think you know what that means.

His modifications make him straight up superhuman.

>why the fuck would he need any melee weapons?
Maybe it's more fun for him?
I mean, I'm sure he loves punching people with his fists but every once in awhile he needs to use a little something to bring some spice to the relationship.

There's no fun in that and weapons are faster.

Because it would then need to be called the Homicide Squad

Well, I'm guessing he's like MCU Cap, who's considered peak human, but can hold back a chopper.

He's superhuman.

Bump.

So what do you guys hope to see in Middy's future now that his series is over with?

In the long run? Another series.
But I'm glad they'll at least be using him in Nightwing, so he won't completely fall into obscurity.
But damn if this issue didn't make me want more Apollo. He really need to appear in the Superfamily books.

Midnighter and Apollo book

I have like this really generic pitch but it could work.
Authority villains attack Justice League, half of the League is incapacitated. Dick tells Batman to ask help of Middy and Apollo. They both help League and build Authority from the ground up. At the end Waller is asked by America to sanction the government led team called Authority. They're the failsafe if League should ever fail and they would keep Wildstorm fucks in check. Could swap America for UN honestly.
Also I want Seeley and Orlando to write this and Hitch to draw it.

I'd like that too, but given how bad the numbers for Midnighter are I strongly doubt that will ever happen.

I hope he will find Christ and abandon his sinful way of the faggot.

>I hope he will find Christ
This reminds me, wasn't Jesus suppose to join the Authority at one point? I think I recall some writer saying he wanted to do that but it never happened.

You want him to settle down with Christ?

Azzarello

F-FUCK YOU ALL THIS IS TOO MUCH

Lol off yourself retard, you've either never read a middy comic and are posting like you did or are too stupid to realize that he has powers

Neither are considered peak human you're just really dumb

I really hope Orlando is doing more than Supergirl in Rebirth.

After how great this ride's been, he deserves more.

I doubt they'd have made him exclusive only to put him on one title.

Fuck Clark and Lois, this is the best DC couple right here.

I'd give anything to see a little Jenny Quantum show up over in Super Sons.

I miss Jenny Sparks, she's one of my favorite comic characters ever. Was never really a fan of Quantum, probably because I'm not that into kid characters.

>see a little Jenny Quantum show up over in Super Sons
She's not really close with Middy and Apollo in the DC universe though.

I think the idea was Christ comes back and he's super pissed off at everything then the Authority calm him down, something happens with the Magician, I think he and Christ fight, then either Magician leaves and Christ joins or Authority just has two Magician-level reality warpers.

It's hard to write a good Jenny Quantum, since she's basically the Franklin Richards of the DC Universe.
Also, yeah, Middy genuinely tried to kill her, I doubt he's suddenly looking into adopting the 11 year-old now.

That's what I'm thinking but it's the only book announced that he's doing so far.
Didn't Didio or someone say that the announced Rebirth titles aren't all they have lined up?

Oh man, I never dreamed we'd see Sparks again.
I'd take her over Quantum, Spark's power set was a lot more fun than "Oh, quantum mumble-science and problem goes away".

Then we can forget Quantum ever existed and just roll with Jenny Sparks.

This sounds both retarded and amazing at the same time.

He's also writing a story for the American Vampire Anthology, but yeah, so far that's all they've announced.
I'm sure there'll be more titles later on. For example, I'm surprised they haven't announced a World's Finest/Batman+Superman book from the get-go. That title always gets high sales.

Bump

I'm gonna miss this book so fucking much

>only 12 issues
>doesn't make it into dc rebirth

God-fucking-damnit.
I hope they release a goddamn paperback because i will fucking buy it.

The first 7 issues are already collected in a TPB, second one should be released in autumn.

I hope they make a paperback of the whole set.
I hope they plan to jew it by splitting it into two in hopes of getting enough funds for a rebirth release.

Well, at least they got back together. It would have driven me up the wall if the series had ended up with a tease about their situation.