Studio Ghibli

Who is the best director at Studio Ghibli? Is it Miyazaki? Takahata? One of the other guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I2IQqNP1ajg
imdb.com/title/tt6336356/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

whoever it is it's certainly not fucking takahata

Takahata

Miyazaki is the face of the studio and has made a lot of fantastic films. The question is really if anybody there can top him.

Kondo made the best Ghibli film of all time, but Miyazaki wrote it and Kondo died way too soon to see if he could continue to direct quality films. If he had lived, he might have been able to surpass Miyazaki.

Takahata is underrated as fuck. He's mostly known for Grave of the Fireflies, which is a great film, but Only Yesterday, My Neighbors the Yamadas, and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya are underrated as fuck. The only bad film Takahata made was Pom Poko. Kaguya in particular is such an amazing film that it's the strongest argument for Takahata being better than Miyazaki.

Goro Miyazaki dropped the ball with Tales from Earthsea, but redeemed himself with From Up on Poppy Hill.

Yonebayashi is good, but doesn't quite reach the heights of Hayao or Takahata. At least he's better than Goro.

Morita only made The Cat Returns, which was decent but not as amazing as some of the other Ghibli films.

>The only bad film Takahata made was Pom Poko

I will fight you.

Shinichirō Watanabe is the best japan has to offer

>muh giant raccoon testicles

Hayao Miyazaki is the best director at Studio Ghibli.

As for the best Ghibli film, it's a tie between Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

Imagine being an animator at Studio Ghibli working late nights giving life to scribbles some old drunk asshole hands you. Every time he passes his scribbles to you he criticizes your work before going into a diatribe about the environment and world war 2 japan. Every once in a while he hands you what appears to be naked children, and instead of the usual drunk scolding he just says "do this now" before standing silently behind you. for the next hour while you animate a few frames of this scene, you start to hear repetative movements and heavy breathing behind you. You also hear the sounds of all the other staff in the room quickly but quietly evacuating. You have been here before and know the consequences of turning around to see what the hell is happening. You persevere and continue drawing masterfully polished frames of bare kiddies hoping the sounds go away soon and the demon retreats back to his smelly corner of the room. When he finally leaves, you shut down your station, leave the office and grab a couple of sakes from the bar across the street before beginning your long commute home. You get home and your wife is already asleep. You get in bed and she wakes and asks how your day was. The reality you did well to block out suddenly floods back and you proceed to beat and rape your wife.

Patrician taste. I'd say princess mononoke is in the running as well.

My top 13 favorite Ghibli films are in order:
01. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
02. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
03. Princess Mononoke
04. Spirited Away
05. Howl's Moving Castle
06. The Wind Rises
07. When Marnie Was There
08. Arrietty
09. Porco Rosso
10. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
11. Kiki's Delivery Service
12. Whisper of the Heart
13. Only Yesterday

>giant raccoon testicles
>bad
What did he mean by this?

I agree

>"Have you gotten bigger again?"
>Princess Kaguya is voiced by Chloë Grace Moretz in the English dub
What did they mean by this?

Tale of princess kaguya is outstanding. It's the only movie that has ever moved me to tears.

The villain in Laputa: Castle in the Sky is a goldmine for reaction images.
As I learned from a certain tripfag.

Kondo dying so early kind of moots a lot of the discussion. He was being groomed to replace Miyazaki and what little he did showed lots of promise. No one else really comes close to the two founders after that, and is probably a driving force for Miyazaki to never stay retired also. Personally his work is the best the studio has released, but not enough to say the best director.

It really comes down to Miyakzai and Takahata then, and you basically hit the crux of why OP's question is a bit hard to answer in noting how few works Takahata has done compared to Miyazaki. Hell, even his most known film is in technical limbo outside the Ghibli library.

What Takahata has done is great, however. I'd give him points for being open to try new styles and think outside the typical box, while Miyakzaki films have followed a very traditional auteur style set with a few duds where his source choices just don't match his animation ideals. Namely length gutting something like Howl's Moving Castle.

Also, Pom Poko is great. It's silly and tells Japanese folk lore in an interesting way to relate to modern times and for kids to get into. I only find the episodic nature odd about it which messes with pacing, but again, he experiments with every film he does.

What really gets me is that I enjoy the technical experimental points of Takahata, but due to Miyazaki's extensive work he's made more films I enjoy more. That said, they were mostly his earlier ones, so perhaps through age he's lost an edge over Takahata?

tl;dr It's kind of a tie between Takahata and Miyazaki. The studio wouldn't be what it is without the pair, honestly. Everyone else is fluff or never got a chance to stand out. RIP Kondo.

No Porco Rosso? For shame. Close second being Whisper of the Heart.

yfw

>mfw they put they put the robe on her practically mid sentence

Miyazaki, He is the beating heart of the studio
Whisper of the heart is their best film though
I found it kinda dry
one of the worst ghibli dubs in quite a while

Look at my full top thirteen list.

y'all ready for nu-ghibli?
youtube.com/watch?v=I2IQqNP1ajg

Yes. I want this.

>he watches dubs

Ghibli gets Disney to do the dubs though, which means they're much higher quality than most anime dubs.

Ghibli dubs are generally good because Disney handles it this time around it didn't mesh with the style imo
I watched it with my nephew btw he's too young to be able to keep up with the subtitles

studio ghibli is the most overrated shit on the planet

Delete this now, fool!

eat my shit gutterslug. princess monmon is the only good one.

I'm not sure I can take anyone seriously when they have Howl's Moving Castle that high and Porco Rosso that low.

That's not Ghibli, right? Did some of their talent run away and start their own studio recently?

Correction, they USED to be higher quality. Now they get talent-less hacks they wanna make famous do the dubs, instead of people who actually made a name for themselves in the industry with some clue about what they were doing before being cast.

I can't really watch modern Disney dubs for Ghibli. If I can I'll find the British dubs just to avoid the shit Disney pushes on America because they still hire people with range, and for some reason don't use the NA dubs.

There was a time I'd prefer the Disney dub, like for Porco Rosso. More attention to overall sound with background noise/conversations and a more full translation without many egregious edits compared to the first English dub that made it feel natural overall.

Now it's assembly by committee and they don't even need to try.

Didn't Disney completely rewrite Jiji the cat's character in Kiki's Delivery Service and turned him into Salem from Sabrina the Teenage Witch, filling all the quiet "boring" moments in the movie with his dumb quips off screen?

Is this the dawn of eyebrow-kino?

Miyazaki directed Laputa so him

new studio founded by old ghibli animator/director (arriety and marnie) there are a bunch of ex-ghibli people working on it or they could just be freelance

Might be interesting to see where this goes then. Might get Ghibli to try something new, or just become a spiritual successor. They seem to have the talent, but hopefully don't just stay a Miyazaki clone.

>Only Yesterday

I love this movie, so many people are talking about it these past few years too. Why?

My god the angles in all the mid-air shots is phenominal

Disney finally gave it a dub last year so a lot of people suddenly found out it existed.

It just got released in US theaters last year or this year
Disney didn't want to distribute it originally because of the period scene

Best ghibli movie is whispers of the heart, its objective fact

You know what, now that I think of it I remember seeing it on the marquee of IFC or the Angelika, I forget which one. I remember being annoyed I didn't get to see it on the big screen but if it was a dub it may have not been worth it.

Watching that movie made me get that anime is just a medium, not a genre, and is capable of not just beauty but depth.

I watched Whisper the other day, and while it's a really beautiful movie it's a little goofy. I love Country Roads, and the beginning when she's just reading the books at her desk and following the cat. It reminds me of before I had a computer and all I would do is get lost in books. It's a superficial movie, and I don't even say that as a criticism really, because it's a beautiful movie, but it's a movie about people, not ideas, and Ghibli is great when it engages with ideas.

That was the old dub they made in the 90s. New one is more true to the original.

im a simple guy

Following up on this, Miyazaki is my favorite because of among other things the Castle of Cagliostro. It's such a wild, madcap farce. I know that walks back my statements about "ideas" movies, but nothing is more fun than Lupin III directed by MIyazaki.

it's slice of life
also is it the first anime to do the bike romance cliche? i suspect it might be

That's part of the power of Ghibli. I'm not going to say it's "accessible to everyone" because that's trite (even though it's true), but I am going to extend that idea to how the movies look.

Nature is always so important, and it really reflects, I think, Miyazaki's perspective how the movies mix the ornate backgrounds with the smooth, declarative characters.

To untie that garbled sentence a little, I mean that nature, the environments, the waters, lush forests and leaves are always dense and hyperealistic (if a bit impressionistic), but the people are bold and visually uncomplicated.

That really came through to me in watching Porco Rosso the other night.

I don't know if it did, but it's cute. I wish I had seen that movie first ten years ago. Whenever there's a young girl in a Ghibli movie I always identify with her more than the boy love interests.

>Whenever there's a young girl in a Ghibli movie I always identify with her more than the boy love interests.
because they are the main character
there is a name for this particular genre in japanese but I can't remember it, basically otherworld fantasy/adventure

It's specifically young girls though, not teenagers. I didn't feel the same thing with "Up on Poppy Hill."

I'm interested in know that word.

Where an I find good torrents of Ghibli with subs? Pirate Bay mostly has dubbed shit.

Why u rate kiki's delivery service so low

the dubs are actually pretty good, they're supervised by Disney iirc.

I prefer no dubs, lad. The dubs are fine but the originals are so much better.

https: // mega . nz / / # F!09BkDTAK!ATXIRdbKL-T1ofaLkcbsFw!tk4gjIjY

enjoy

nyaa ;_;

Thanks. Will this stay up for a while?

>porch Rosso so low
>Kiki so low
>whisper of the heart so low
>the wind rises so high
Bad taste

I heard he forced the staff to camp with him

I have seen Nausicca many times and recently I began to cry when I watched it

But it's also recently I began to realize how brilliant Kaguya and the raccoon one are, thanks to the reruns. So I would say Takahata was underrated by me

Beat that, Shinkai.

Only Yesterday is the only Ghibli movie you can actually enjoy if you're not 12, so Takahata wins hands down.

Thank you!

It's not Ghibli, but I'l always love Miyazaki because Castle of Cagliostro is what introduced me to Lupin.

definitely nausicaa
1.-Nausicaa
2.-Kiki´s delivery service
3.-Mononoke Hime
4.-Howl´s moving castle
5.-The tale of princess kaguya
6.-My neighbor totoro
7.-Porco Rosso
8.-Grave of the fireflies
9.-Whisper of the heart
10.-Cat returns

I always cry to nausicaa and i´ve seen it like 40 times

Are we still the most Sup Forumsntrarian shithole still online? Do we still hate Spirited Away for being popular? it's obviously the best Ghibli

Looks like Yonebayashi has a new movie this year. I really liked Arrietty and Marnie, so I'm looking forward to this.

imdb.com/title/tt6336356/

now that i read this again,i actually think spirited away is my 9

Arrietty was kind of a washout but Marnie is genuinely 10/10

This right here

not this

this

arrietty wasnt that good
marnie was great though, pretty keen