I admit Hangul is superior

As you can see, Korean is more compact and fits the spacial patterns of it's Chinese counterpart. Genious.
C:大統領
K:대통령
J:だいとうりょう
————————————
C:新聞
K:신문
J:しんぶん
————————————
C:食卓
K:식탁
J:しょくたく
————————————
C:中華人民共和國
K: 중화 인민 공화국
J:ちゅうかじんみんきょうわこく

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man'yōgana
youtube.com/watch?v=sJNxPRBvRQg
youtube.com/watch?v=IARguDQIGVs
youtube.com/watch?v=KdB904ifzSM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

니혼고

no, Korea has been a vassal state of China yet they abandoned Kanji, and they cannot compose proper sentences without Kanji characters
In their notation, Korean cannot distinguish the words like
童貞(virgin) vs 同情(compassion)
史記(historical records) vs 詐欺(scam)
紳士(gentle man) vs 神社(Shinto shrine)
反日(anti-Japan) vs 半日(a half day)
放火(arson) vs 防火(fire prevention)

Hangul looks cooler too

△〇□l-
yeah, good for kindergarden.

Those seem to be recognizable by context. I mean how would you mix up "gentle man" with "shinto shrine".
We have the word "banco" it can me "seat" or a "bank" and it never gets confusing because the context helps.

Not to mention homophones

수도(修道): spiritual discipline
수도(囚徒): prisoner
수도(水都): "city of water" (e.g. Venice or Suzhou)
수도(水稻): paddy rice
수도(水道): drain, rivers, path of surface water
수도(隧道): tunnel
수도(首都): capital (city)

even korean can't distinguish properly, most useless language.

Can you please learn proper english before posting here as american you fucking imbecile?

Just a question. Wasn't that problem introduced because of kanji? Like they made up words based on the characters? Maybe now they can make up new terms.

sorry, im studying english right now.

and i am Korean.

i Hate my country so much, so so much.

no you aren't. seriously kill yourself

Every language that has somewhat phonetic spelling has those, we have a ton of homophones in Finnish too.

so what? what you want to say?

>Make up new terms

That's what North Korea did

They made up new words based off basic Korean

all of those words are either chinese or japanese in origin, korean vocabulary is about 60% chinese origin. If kanji is still in place, there won't be a problem telling them apart reading-wise

Hangul is created to match one character two only one chinese character that is why Hangul remains same length when using chinese characters

>japanese mentioning homophones
haha holy shit

いどう(移動、異同、異動、胃同、医道など)
かんし(監視、看視、環視、冠詞、諫止、漢詩、菅氏、韓紙など)
きかん(期間、機関、器官、気管、帰還、基幹、季刊など)
こうしょう(交渉、高尚、公証、考証、口承、鉱床、厚相、哄笑、工廠、興商、工商、公傷、公称、校章、工匠、好尚、高唱、公娼、高唱、高承、交鈔、康正、行賞、口証、孝昭、高翔、甲生、興正、交唱、口誦、咬傷、香粧、高商)
こうせい(更生、校正、恒星、更正、構成、公正、攻勢、後世、抗生など多数)
さんか(参加、賛歌、酸化、傘下、惨禍、産科、讃歌、三化、山河、三価、酸価)
しこう(嗜好、思考、志向、至高、歯垢、試行、施行、指向、紙工、施工、伺候、刺咬)
しんせい(申請、新生、親政、神聖、心性、真正、新星など)
せいか(製菓、成果、盛夏、生家、聖歌、生花、正貨、聖火など)
せんだい(仙台「宮城県」、川内「鹿児島県」、先代、千台、専大など)

they already did serious mistakes in construction of high speed railroad due to misunderstanding the word 防水(water proof) as 放水(water spray)
they had to replace construction materials

I hate kanji in non-chinese languages. Why would you take something that was invented for a completely different language and forcefully make it work for your language then after you made up a mess you say "see? we need it"

Can you imagine if we started writing Portuguese in Kanji? You'd think it's dumb but why isn't dumb for japanese and korean that are different from Chinese as well?

>japanese mentioning homophones

The point is the we use Kanji, so we can actually differentiate the meaning of homophones you dumb kimchi

Chinese characters are awful for non-sinic languages. So, who cares? They were never meant to be used by non-chinese languages.

ah, yes, so you can speak in kanji?

Why you used Japanese term.
大統領/新聞/食卓 are Japanese. In Chinese are 总统/报纸/餐桌.

Hangul is superior for the simple fact that I don't need to learn THREE (3!) FUCKING ALPHABETS to be able to fully learn a new language.

That's why it's been abandoned by every major country that used it. Vietnamese use the Alphabet and Koreans use a script born from phags-pha. Transmission of Hanzi was a mistake.

nobody forced anybody to use kanji, korean, japanese and vietnamese culture were heavily influenced by the chinese literature. Thus alot of the phrases and vocab are adopted, so did the writing system.Also, hiragana/katakana/hangul are developed long after the kanji was adopted.

Are you really that stupid? They're talking about writing systems.

but we do keep Chinese characters so no problem
you cannot read ancient Chinese writings written by your master China
Since Kanji was abandoned, Korea has been busy for making up fictitious history of glorious Korea, sigh..

>Never meant

You truly don't understand. Most Japanese and Korean words are based off of Sino compounds. Similar to how Westerners use alot of Latin compound roots. Without it, the meaning and history is lost.

Imagine if English got rid of all it's Latin spelling. "Syense" instead of "Science", "Akwerium" instead of "aquarium"

Why did it take Coreans so long to devise a writing system that could actually write their goddamn language properly?

Why did you never devise one?

I didn't mean they forced anyone. I meant that the system wasn't meant for those languages so it becomes clumsy.
Didn't Japanese people had to make this in the past and it was very complicated?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man'yōgana

I used -sino terms that are common in Japanese and Korean.

Of course Mandarin is different. Sino-Japanese and Sino-Korean are based off classical Chinese

>Of course Mandarin is different. Sino-Japanese and Sino-Korean are based off classical Chinese

What?

Written Chinese is the same no matter what dialect. What are you talking about?

the educated elite used kanji and wrote in classical chinese. Even after hangul was invented by king Sejong, chinese usage was still the majority until last century.

are you retarded? lots of English words have the same spelling and pronunciation and it's doing fine. there's something called contect you know?

It gets extremely confusing looking at a solid wall of primarily the same 50 syllables over and over, no way to recognize the "shape" of the word to speed read because all the words are the fucking same.

This happened with Turkish. They removed all the arabic shit from their language and got rid of the arabic alphabet.

>What is Anglish

>are you retarded?
>contect

Japanese has more homonyms than English.

Okay, but why was hangul developed so late?

>let me tell you about your language

classical chinese is very different compared to modern mandarin

there's a different between a logic error and a simple spelling error mutt

But wasn't the kanji who introduced the problem? I saw some words and I looked at the etymology and it always look like the word formed because of the characters. If I'm right then the kanji created the problem in the first place!

Kanji is used as the linguistic immune system to prevent shit skins from learning Japanese and coming to Japan.

well you are right to some extent, but they still adopted the system and it worked out for them to some extent. Kanji are mainly used to represent the noun while hiragana/katakana are used for the grammar (conjugation, etc) Kanji is a logogram, all it represent is a meaning, not necessarily a sound.

This is correct. Ataturk thought changing the language would help in people not caring about their history anymore, but it didn't happen. When he tried suppressing Ottoman history, Turks just basically told him to get fucked. So the language changed, but the culture didn't.

It's not hard. It's that there are so many that it takes years and years to remember all that shit.

Also you know that "shitskin" is referring to the brown color, right? Last time I checked Thai people have brown color as well.

written chinese =/= spoken chinese until the fall of the qing dynasty, it was used as a bridge across all east asian languages.

I think those Japanese term in Chinese character were invented by Japanese. Chinese and Korean just borrowed a ton of Japanese term before WW2. For example, 中華人民共和国 of 人民 and 共和 is Japanese term made by Japanese.

You were wrong on both counts though.

In Vietnam too, and they (French conquerors) kinda managed to remove much of the Chinese influence in Vietnam.

The Japanese don't like South Asians either

わたしは終戦前、ベトナムがまだフランスの植民地であったころ、朝日新聞の特派員としてベトナムに滞在した。わたしはシクロ(三輪自転車)を乗りついだり、路地から路地にわざと道を変えて、ベトナムの民族独立運動家たちと会った。大方、通訳の手をかり、通訳いない場合は、漢文で筆談したが、結構、それで意が通じた。いまでも中年以上のものであれば、漢字を知っており、わたしどもとも漢字で大体の話はできる。漢字といっても、日本の漢字と、二の地域のそれとはかなり違うが、漢字の基本に変りはないわけで、中国-ベトナム-朝鮮-日本とつながる漢字文化圏の中に、わたしどもは生きていることを痛感する

>modern mandarin

Nice edit.

what?

nope

So, English has the same or comparable amounts of homonyms as Japanese?

1.제발 차린 건 없지만 철 좀 드세요

2.당신만 보면 짜증면 곱빼기예요

3.사랑이 다 밥 먹여줍니다.

4.겁을 일시불로 상실한 녀석

5.동거를 하고 싶다면 거동을 못하게 해 주마

6.제 어깨 편하죠? 제 어깨는 과학이랍니다.

7.너 보다 비참한 녀석은 주문진 국도변의 오징어처럼 널리고 널렸다

8.그 정도는 새 발의 피의 적혈구의 헤모글로빈이다.

9.그건 또 무슨 오락실에서 수학문제집 펴는 소리냐?

10. 사랑이 잔뜩 여물어서 건드리면 국물이 배어나올 것 같은 커플

11. 이거 당장 놓지 말아도 되어요
12. 아니 그게 무슨 아가미로 용트림하는 소리요?

13. 당신의 고집은 100년 묵은 육포처럼 질기군요.

14. 그렇게 말한다면 그건 경기도 오산이요.

15. 아! 메가톤급 외로움이 텍사스 소떼처럼 몰려오는구나….

16. 아니 그게 무슨 오밤중에 끓는 물 마시고 벽치는 소리요?

17. 하아~ 너무 놀라서 염통이 쫄깃해졌어..

18. 쓸데없는 걱정이랑 모공 깊숙이 숨겨두렴

19.귓구녕에 살이쪄서 말귀를 못 알아 듣는군

20. 마치 모든 것이 후비면 후빌수록 더 안쪽으로 들어가 버리는 코딱지 같았던 짜증나는 나날들[으악!]

21. 아주 200만 화소로 꼴깝을 떠는구나

22. 누가 볼지도 모른척하고 빨리 뽀뽀해 줘

23. 나는 미스코리아 뺨치는 그런 아내를 원해요
=> 나중에 그는 미스코리아만 보면 뺨을 때리는 아내를 얻게 되었다

24. 걱정일랑 시멘트로 생매장시켜버리고 빨리 말해

25. 눈썰미라곤 눈썹이랑 함께 다듬어버린 모양이로군

26. 오늘따라 좀 음산하군, 올록볼록 엠보싱마냥 소름이 돋는다.

27. 이런 요한 씨밸리우스 같은 녀석을 그냥!

28. 괜시리 콘크리트바닥에 계란 투척하지 마라

Probably, they're just written differently, too, because of your insane spelling system.

Hangul is incredibly ugly and hurts my eyes, right up there with Simplified Chinese.

>Probably

It doesn't.

I think the flood of sinic words in Chinese is the problem, not the kanji because Chinese characters have no set pronunciation and because it's a tonal language and Japanese is not you gained a shit ton of homonyms.

wtf are you talking about mutt? i was talking about hangul and English in the first place not jap. the original post was implying that koreans cant distinguish some korean words because in korean the writing is the same but not in chinese. i said its the same thing in English but it doesn't matter because of context

>homonyms

Yeah it's confusing but we humans have an ability to distinguish one word from others according to contexts. I think abandonment of kanji is not serious at all.and those who bring up "we have kanji, but they don't have!" don't look smart

It really does look nice though. Other Asian scripts can easily look messy and unappealing, Hangul is always very geometrical and aesthetically-pleasing (not just visually but in overall cohesiveness of design/style).

Spotted the 在日

>oh these words look the same. I guess instead of making up new terms we should adopt 4000 characters. That's the most logical solution.

Not even japanese people can write/read their own shit LMAO
youtube.com/watch?v=sJNxPRBvRQg
youtube.com/watch?v=IARguDQIGVs

>Everyone knows every word in their native language

Wew

Mutt?

Chinese wasn't a tonal language back then, even today shanghainese has a similar pitch-accent system as the japanese rather than mandarin chinese

In a written context 100% kana is awful. Kanji is incredibly convenient when you're reading because you'll know what to look for when you're using a dictionary vs using the sound which tells you nothing.

Unrelated to the topic, but I've heard that each asian country emulates and represents a specific dynasty in Chinese history: Japan is the Tang Dynasty, Korea is the Ming for example. How true is this?

Yep, kanji is actually convenient, it helps us read books much more easily(after you know more than 2000 kanji and get accustomed to all the combinations). but it's not vital. Reading can work without kanji. it can be proved by the fact that society in Korea works. Anyway, thank you for learning Japanese to the point where you realize kanji is really helpful when reading. 有難う

>Written Chinese is the same no matter what dialect.

Ameritard

I never said it was vital, but I rather not. Especially, if it's being advocated simply because Corea does it.

Eikawa English Teacher

Vietnam looks very Qing influenced for sure

Is Mongolia then Yuan lmao

I almost spit my milk out lol.

Japan was heavily influenced by tang because of the kentoshi, Korea was heavily influenced by Ming because Korea was unified after Mongol invasion and Ming was the major power.

Finally someone that admits it would be possible if tried. I get the arguments about the tradition and etc... but the spoken language comes before the written one and if it's possible to talk without kanji, it's possible to write without it as well.

mee too :D

Why do alphabetophiles hate Chinese Characters so much?

Yeah in terms of tradition kanji should be preserved.

Vietnam is still super similar to southern China. Perhaps the most Sinic non-Chinese cunt in the world.

t. Viet

Annam (North Vietnam) was a Chinese province, So, not surprised.

Yeah Ancient Chinese was not tonal and it’s word order was SOV but interaction with SEAsian languages changed the language to become tonal and SVO. By the time Japan was borrowing from Chinese culture, Chinese had already become a tonal language. Shanghainese actually has a reduced tonal system and it’s not representative of older Chinese at all.

So, what dynasties would China be non-tonal?

I heard people claim Classical Chinese is close to Japanese.

Warring States period. What’s interesting is that Chinese used to be an aggulanative language too. I guess historically with the SOV word order, non-tonality and agglutination it would have been more similar to Tungusic, Japonic, Mongolic, Turkic, etc. It went through some massive changes but that’s unsurprising considering it’s the oldest language in the area.

Classical Chinese influenced Japanese with idioms and vocabulary. Classical Chinese employs SOV order sometimes and introduced the /N/ as a syllable-final moraic nasal into Japanese. Before that, all Japanese words were open syllables.

>SOV
>No Tones
>Agglutination
>Pitch Accent

It honestly sounds like it was the same language family as Japanese, WTF?

youtube.com/watch?v=KdB904ifzSM

Someone has reconstructed how old Chinese might have sounded.

Oops, meant to say tones developed in the Warring States period. So the Chinese language of the Xia, Shang, and the Zhou Dynasties were non-tonal.

The Sino-Tibetan languages originated in East Asia along the Yellow River basin so it would have had contact with other East or North Asian languages hence the similarity. This all began to change as they headed south and adopted linguistic features from the SEA. Some of the minor Sino-Tibetan languages still have the SOV order and no tones.

You can notice some words in old Chinese that have been retained in modern Korean and Japanese. For example the old Chinese njin (in modern Mandarin "ren") for 人 has survived in Japanese as "jin" and in Korean as "in".

I’ve seen that before. Sounds like Klingon.

Are you all linguists or something? I didn't know how Japanese originated

Japanese is a mystery. There are multiple theories such as it being a part of the controversial Altaic family, a descendant of Tamil, a Koreanic language, a now extinct language from Eastern China, a language isolate that was a sprachbund to North Asian languages, an Austronesian language, or a creole of Austronesian + Altaic.

On the subject of religion, is there any connection between Taoism and Shintoism?