Reporting in

>tfw living further north than 90% of Canadians

35th it is

>tfw living further north than 100% of germans

35th master race.

>tfw living further north than 100% of swedes

b-but i lov u norvey

europeans don't know the meaning of cold

norway and sweden are at the same latitud than alaska.

i thought you guys didn't use communist degrees

Alaska is as unrepresentative for the US as Norway is for Europe.

it's a university so i guess they prefer it
also the difference isn't so large at extremely low temperatures

it's colder at the same parallel in north america than it is in europe due to the gulf stream

didn't know it.

Fairbanks isn't even in Northern Alaska lol

at the coast yeah. if you go inland -40 isnt really that rare in the winter

/65/ here

63rd

>muh coldness
I'm happy the past winter have been mild not going colder than -10c

>living above the 30th
disgusting wh*toids

Mon ami.
43rd here, too.

>not 51st master race
Where my Cardiff, Bristol, London, Antwerp, Düsseldorf, Dresden, Astana, Kamloops or Calgary bros at?

indeed the most based parallel

23rd

>also the difference isn't so large at extremely low temperatures
That doesn't even make sense, they don't share a zero. -45°C is -60°F. -90°C will already be -150°F.

no wait it's the 44th the most based

>it's colder at the same parallel in north america than it is in europe due to the gulf stream

Wrong. This is a common myth, but in reality it's just because Europe gets a moderating effect from the ocean to the west. This is also why the West Coast of North America has a milder climate, due to being affected by ocean air.

Eastern North America and East Asia get continental air flow from Canada and Siberia, causing much colder winters.

that's not correct

Everything I said was correctly estimated. I always go by a rule of thumb of doubling and then subtracting 30 to go from Celcius to Fahrenheit, and it's reasonably close for outside temperatures. And the two scales do not share a zero. 0°C is 32°F. 0°F is -18°C.

It's actually colder than the North Slope

/34/ master race

-45 degrees C is not -60 degrees F, or even remotely close to it
for temperatures actually achievable on earth, the lower temperatures have a smaller difference than the higher temperatures, as shown in the graph

Milder climate or not, Europe is still at a higher latitude than the US and thus the sun is less direct and summer days and winter nights are really long (like 20 hours).

At 40 degrees north, you still get 8 hours of daylight even on the winter solstice.

>all those African latitude Americans
That's everything south of San Jose CA, Springfield MO or Virginia Beach VA by the way.

I live in Pennsylvania though, so same latitude as the Mediterranean.

You know Inland Northern Sweden and Finland gets that cold right? ffs it was -35C there last night

Okay, so -45°C is -49°F, big deal, my rule of thumb fails at such extremes. Sue me. The point is that the lower you go the greater the difference will be again. -273°C is -460°F. If that's not a difference I don't know what is.

>68th

In the tropics the day and night are very nearly equal at 12 hours pretty much year round.

Yeah the difference between seasons is really pronounced even in temperate Germany. At winter solstice the sun is barely up from 8 AM to 4 PM. At summer solstice it's 4 AM to 10 PM. Boggles the mind that American winter days are only four hours shorter than American summer days, and that American summer days aren't as long as ours.

You wouldn't have this problem if you'd use Opera Browser

>273 C is 523 F
that is a larger difference
i will concede that i should have specified that i meant that the difference in temperature is smaller at lower temperatures within the range of temperatures encountered on earth

Or in like, Brazil where it's pretty much seasonless (ok I guess they have a wet and dry season) and the length of the day/night is always the same. That would be a little hard to adjust to.

43rd, checking in

The angle of the sun too. In Europe you'll notice right away how it's not as high up in the sky as in the US and shadows on buildings are more pronounced.

Me too

When there's sun.

Who /48th/ here?

Western Europe doesn't get much snow due to the ocean air, usually just rain and fog in the wintertime. When you get into Eastern Europe, you start to notice the shift to a continental climate as winters become much colder with more snow, while summers are hotter.

>continental climate as winters become much colder with more snow, while summers are hotter.
That is not always the case though. Also contintental climate regions usually have very low precipation during winter. That's the reason why for example in Central Russia the snow doesn't get that high even though winters are long and doesn't go above the freezing point for a few months

>Also contintental climate regions usually have very low precipation during winter

The Great Plains in the US gets hammered with major blizzards every winter, but that's more a coincidence of geography (having a continuous supply of moisture from the Gulf of Mexico to feed storms).

Central Russia is mostly a desert and has very little access to moisture thus far less precipitation. You can see that the air flow there comes from Kazakhstan rather than the Gulf of Mexico.

/51st/

I've heard the jokes about how Germans and Scandinavians are big on nudism because the winters are so dark that when the summer comes, they want to get as much sun as they can.

>Central Russia is mostly a desert
No I wasn't talking about central asia, I meant Siberia which also has a low precipation in winter and a lot more in summer. Here for example in Yakutsk. Same in central Canada which also has a very typical continental climate

Tohoku(japan) has the most snow on average in the world

Nine inches a year is still awfully dry. For example, Germany averages 25 inches of precipitation a year.

Maybe so, but the lower angle of the sun in Europe makes you less likely to get skin cancer. I wouldn't try nudism in Australia if I were you.

Yes it is but because vegetation time is only for about 3-4 months in these areas it's still enough for the forests there. There also countless lakes and huge rivers because so little water evaporates in the arctic and subarctic regions

That's not a lot either. Texas gets similar precipitation, the only thing stopping us from being a dry steppe is cool temperature preventing evaporation.

Not at all. Almost none of Texas is that dry. You have to go to the inland Rocky Mountain states to find an area with

THE BEST

I meant Germany.

Look at the length of the growing seasons in Western Europe. As far north as Norway, the growing season is 8 months long. Notice how rapidly the growing season shortens as you get into Eastern Europe.

P-town represent!

>tfw you check and your latitude is 43.5
Technically it's closer to 44, I guess, but only by the slimmest of margins. Anyone else /inbetween/ here?

Here my brother

/65th parallel/ here

lmao my town gets -45c

my cottage has the swedish cold record

samefag here

actually it holds the cold record for europe, exluding russia

>45th parallel
>passes Hokkaido

can't believe most Europeans live far north than this line
even though I know the climate's different

I'm at the 44th
Close enough

alaska is basically canada

this

using shoes is basically cheating

52th here.

yeah but how long does it take before your toes turn black?

Good to see an MLS Team in one of these things

I didn't know that europe is that north. Seoul is 37th but still has colder winter than UK or France.

Literally goes through me, at least a 100 meter cross section.

It's because of the Gulf Stream. Eastern Europe has also much colder winters than western Europe

Apparently it is not the gulf stream iirc, even without it europe would still be warm, I'm not sure what it really was though

dat is het verhaaltje dat ze mij hebben wijsgemaakt tijdens de lessen aardrijkskunde

42 in

>Liking sn*w

Ironically, it sure is summer in here.

i'm 46.1 am i in ?

Reporting
I live right on the 45th parallel