Why is John Wayne such a divisive figure?

Why is John Wayne such a divisive figure?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h_ncnL0iejo
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Divisive? Never heard anyone say that about him.

didn't he promote smoking and hate native americans?

Reactionaries love him and use him as a role model despite being a draft-dodging zionist who only married mexican women, it's kinda impressive

Here's the thing, John Wayne was actually a *very* bad actor. He only could play one character, had absolutely no range. And I suspect that extremely weird cadence to his speech comes from reading cue cards. It's like he doesn't quite know how the line goes so he begins the sentence in one way and realizes by the end of the sentence that he needs to change the delivery entirely and does so mid sentence.

BUT he was an extremely popular relic of his time, so people that lived through John Wayne's heyday have a lot of love for him.... strangely enough, even if those actual people didn't like him at the time.

Something happens when you get older. Even the pop culture crap of your youth begins to appeal to you because it brings back good memories of when you were young.

For instance, I thought Spice Girls were crap growing up, and they are (though admittedly I wanked to the vids when I was about 10). But now, if someone is playing a Spice Girls track, I'll listen to it and actually enjoy it just because it makes me remember the good old days. Same with gangsta rap in the 90s, I hated it at the time, but it time warps me in a good way.... and this sort of parallels the posthumous appreciation of John Wayne.

That and he's seen as a strong example of American manliness.... though to me it always seems suspiciously like a closet gay or effeminate man overcompensating.

haha he used female lingerie, what a faggot

>American manliness

lol

There's this song by this band I like, Hatfield and the North. The song is called: 'John Wayne Socks Psychology On The Jaw.'

And I think that's pretty neat.

>real name was marion

Think about it!

He's laughably bad. It's very hard to take him seriously.

Rio Bravo and The Searchers are good movies

>John Wayne
>bad actor

Bwahahahaha has. Pathetic NuMale Redditeen detected. You've never watched a single Wayne movie. Literally fucking kill your self and never post here again
Searchers
Red River
True Grit
McClintock!
Quiet Man

FUCK YOU !!!!

He always treated injuns with respect. Fucking dirtworshipers!

>all those buzzwords

Could you be any more reddit?

>He only could play one character, had absolutely no range.
He had some range though.

The "John Wayne only plays one character" comes from the fact that at some point he got his finances straight and figured out that he doesn't have to play in movies for money. He also recognised that he was absolutely loved by kids and started being picky about his roles, since he wanted to keep family-friendly role-model kind of image. So unless something good came out(True Grit) he was as picky as you can imagine actor to be. There are numerous anecdotes about this with this one being probably the funniest:

youtube.com/watch?v=h_ncnL0iejo

Before that however he played some specific range of people. Not wide one but he did. He was strict cavalry officer in some movies and not-so-strict sheriff on others. In Red River he was literally evil man, blinded by ambition.
> And I suspect that extremely weird cadence to his speech comes from reading cue cards.
It happens in some movies and it doesn't in others. Probably he didn't care about memorising all lines in all of his movies. He doesn't look around the set too much which indicates that there are no cue cards though.

>says John Wayne is a bad actor
>likes the spice girls and rap music
Alright, so you are a proper retard, sorry for you.
user gets it.
Red River is one of the finest films ever made. I will watch it once a year without fail.
McClintock is a great comedy as well.
Add Wayne's performance from The Longest Day as well. Just perfect.

He made some good movies but he was a bit of a cunt.

who?

It's not that I *like* Spice Girls and rap.... it has nostalgia value. One you're older than 30 you'll understand. There's many things that are objectively bad when you're growing up, but as you begin to get old, you'll like them because they'll remind you of the past.

But a young guy could never wrap their mind around that, so I understand where you're coming from....

You hadn't even been spat out of your mothers cunt when I first watched these movies.
You're talking out your arse, thinking that others don't understand what nostalgia is.
Nostalgia doesn't make the spice girls or 90's rap better you pleb. It was bad then and it is bad now, you just have shit taste.
John Wayne starred in a lot of films, some of them bad, some terrible but many of them are unforgettable greats of cinema. Nostalgia is not what makes them great.
The man himself is a giant of the movies and a great actor with a unique and lasting appeal.

>leave my manly gayfu alone!