Can you name a bigger fucking hack? He hasn't made a good movie since Alien 1979...

Can you name a bigger fucking hack? He hasn't made a good movie since Alien 1979. Almost 40 years without a genuinely good movie

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZgjLJSuGPt8
youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-Q-Acv4qs
youtube.com/watch?v=Npf0mWVP9sc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Alien was a fluke.

Not all of his efforts were duds.
Gladiator, Blade Runner, Black Rain, Thelma & Louise, Kingdom of Heaven are all decent.

You need to get your head out of your ass, or stop shit posting, kiddo.

I think with a better lead actor kingdom of heaven directors cut would be very revered (though i still love it)

This. The elements are there, it just doesn't coalesce into something great.

All art is hit and miss, most working artists would envy his strike rate desu.

Also you forgot his best work:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZgjLJSuGPt8

Gladiator was his last really good film m8. Black Hawk Down too.

Why's there so much Ridley shit posting on here? Is it cause he's a Brit? He gets a free pass to make us much shit as he wants imo by virtue of making Alien and Blade Runner alone.

Gladiator, Black Hawk Down & Kingdom of Heaven are all great flicks desu

That commercial was GOAT. So was the Apple one.

He makes plenty of "good" movies, but nothing "great" in some time.
>The Martian was objectively good.

>So was the Apple one.

Which featured British model Anya Major, same woman Elton John is singing too (while thinking about a man probably) in the Nikita video.

youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-Q-Acv4qs

>>The Martian was objectively good.
it was anonymous as shit amassembly line flick. could have been directed by literally any other hack without a signature style and you wouldn't have noticed the difference.

The Duellist and Alien were his best movies

Everything else doesn't come close

>it was anonymous as shit amassembly line flick
Anyone who comments like this needs to have their internet access revoked until they graduate.

I agree and won't bolster its mediocrity, but let's go ahead and reiterate "objectivity".

he's made enough genuinely good movies that he can't be simply dismissed as a hack, but his output is very mixed, especially lately

duellists, alien, blade runner, legend, thelma & louise, are his best films. honourable mentions for matchstick men and body of lies

i hope he makes a return to greatness and makes at least one more classic. he's almost 80 now, so who knows how much time he has left to do that

He didn't have that much to do with the details in Alien

Prometheus and The Counselor are better than Alien.

youtube.com/watch?v=Npf0mWVP9sc

Well it helped that him being British and the film being made in Britain, he commanded absolute respect from the production crews and they bent over backwards for him.

>The Duellists
>Blade Runner
>Gladiator
>Black Hawk Down
>Matchstick Men
>Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut)
>American Gangster
>"He hasn't made a good movie since Alien 1979."
You're retarded, OP.

Ridley Scott's been off since his son killed himself, hasn't really recovered that spark.

>i hope he makes a return to greatness and makes at least one more classic.
not if he sticks with making alien and gladiator sequels until he dies. then again the scripts for BLOOD MERIDIAN and THE FOREVER WAR were both horrible so maybe we should be glad he's stuck with making sequels.

I thought his brother killed himself?

i don't know why he's suddenly stuck on this alien trip. prometheus was so bad and the reaction so mixed that i'd have thought he'd never want to go near another alien film

>Novelist Cormac McCarthy must have been a fan of Breaking Bad since he steals its byzantine plot–its essence–for The Counselor, the film billed as his “first original screenplay.” The combination cynicism-and-pretense that motivates this crime film about a lawyer (Michael Fassbender) who gains wealth from assisting clients in drug deals, repeats the same moral confusion that is the hallmark of today’s more celebrated TV shows–especially the twisted absurdity of Breaking Bad. This corruption is not profound but for sophomoric minds it is trendy and sussing out trends is part of director Ridley Scott’s headless hack method.

>“Headless” fits because Scott’s cynicism complements McCarthy’s; it’s evident in The Counselor’s leitmotif–various forms of grisly decapitations that are reminders of Scott’s ultra-hackery in Hannibal (where Anthony Hopkins ate from Ray Liotta’s exposed brain). The Counselor outdoes the treachery of Breaking Bad with several gruesome, headless killings. You need to be a TV-junkie to enjoy this mindlessness.

>Yet The Counselor is a swanky form of junk with Fassbender and his trophy girlfriend (Penelope Cruz) enjoying a ritzy lifestyle along with his bling-loving client Reiner (Javier Bardem) and his unfathomably cynical, bisexual moll Malkina (Cameron Diaz) who keeps two pet cheetahs, wears a gold tooth, silver fingernails and has cheetah spots tattooed across her back. It’s almost a comic version of the luxe afforded to big-name filmmakers like Scott. Getting rich off cynicism is a hoary theme indulged–and overscaled–by filmmakers who profit from cynicism.

>Pulitizer Prizer McCarthy peddles cynicism like a huckster who’s found a sure-fire gimmick. His script overflows with bone-headed, pseudo-profundities that weigh upon the story. This kind of thing works for TV viewers who are lazily impressed by literary attitude borrowed from hard-boiled fiction–a pretense special to HBO’s Boomer sarcasm and favored by middle-brow media outlets from the Times to Entertainment Weekly. McCarthy adds an existential gloss that seems overly ambitious for the big screen when Scott adds flashy visual, kinetic excess. Yet McCarthy’s self-seriousness slows Scott’s roll; The Counselor is mostly about dialogue.

>The exchanges are howlers: “Greed really takes you to the edge.” “That’s not what greed does, that’s what greed is.” Or: “That’s a bit cold.” “Truth has no temperature.” Or: “We announce to the darkness that we will not be diminished by the brevity of our lives.” My favorite is a barely remembered rant from philosophical drug kingpin Ruben Blades: “Our extinction is a thingamabob that resignation cannot whatchamagig.” And there’s worse. (Not a single witticism matches the political joke in Costa-Gavras’ Capital where a custom-tailor asks his new millionaire boss, “Do you dress Right or Left?”)

>dude I need to make a sequel of a prequel of a sequel of a 40 year old movie for all this to make any sense. And then I'll make 5 more.

It's time for this old demented fuck to stop.

>science the shit out of this

yeah no, redd1t

Tony Scott (Ridley's brother) killed himself, Luke Scott (Ridley's son) is still alive.

>The Counselor’s richly terrible jabber exposes a creativity deficit. The cast–the sinister Fassbender, a hapless Brad Pitt repeating his Se7en tragedy and a superbly steely-eyed Diaz–only gets credit for keeping their faces straight. McCarthy and Scott give so much attention to treachery, snark and assorted means of killing–from pickling bodies in barrels to several decapitation contraptions (including a snuff film)–that they lose the moral decline sweepstakes to Breaking Bad. They fail to measure the social era like Oliver Stone’s fascinating drug tale Savages or Costa-Gavras’ Capital or such classic John Huston melodramas as The Asphalt Jungle and Beat the Devil.

>After the Coen Brothers’ No Country For Old Men, McCarthy’s Hollywood stock went up. The Counselor should settle that. I never finished Blood Meridian–the only McCarthy book I’ve opened–but if this is the kind of crap McCarthy writes, I don’t feel I’ve missed anything.

Have you seen Prometheus? It was fricking great. Not like Guardians of the galaxy great, but still. Funny and entertaining.

Implying Kingdom of Heaven (The Director's Cut) isn't the best film he ever made. Fucking pleb.

Different user here, Kingdom of Heaven would be a modern masterpiece if it starred a great actor. Orlando Bloom isn't terrible but he severely lacks both talent and charisma.

>Have you seen Prometheus? It was fricking great. Not like Guardians of the galaxy great, but still. Funny and entertaining.

Are you for fucking real ? It was a shit-show of 'dumb-people-in-space' with a plot that made zero sense other than 'lets fuck up everything people liked about the prequels'

Nah, I'm for real here. The story was great. The old man wanted eternal life and was BTFO by his creators. It all took place on Christmas eve. The girl got pregnant like Mary. A new species was created. It all made sense to me. And the characters? I mean they were great. Especially David. So human yet so robotic. Loved the Lawrence of Arabia reference.

really tired of some of you anons having to start threads with this " fucking hack right bros xD" meme when you want to discuss a director or something

*blows on a harmonica*
brilliant jumpscares