Thinking about starting Mad Men

>thinking about starting Mad Men
>check it out on imdb
>7 seasons

Yah nah

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tm3yrjwaRLo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

From watching the first five episodes, seems like a good decision you made.

good posts

I think I watched it up until the last season or so. It was fun aesthetically but just got boring as fuck.

I'm watching the final episode right now

S5 was the best it's all downhill from there

I tried to marathon the intro sequence but had to pause it to check Sup Forums and make a sandwich. 2/10

you aren't missing much, it's just a boring soap opera for people who think they are too sophisticated for regular soap operas

What was the point of the show? It seems like they wanted to exploit the aesthetic and show how life wasn't as good as people might think these days, but that doesn't justify a series. The whole advertising premise seemed fairly weak, and I don't know how they would have made a whole series out of it, as what little I saw barely kept my interest.

I wish I never watched it after that abortion of a final two part season.

>don doesn't marry dr miller
shit show, don't waste your time

it doesn't really kick into high gear until around the start of the third season, maybe end of the second season, before that it's a little all over the map.

It's a show about people. Rich people for the most part, but it's about people searching for meaning that seems to be just out of grasp.

Mad Men is the single finest thing ever produced and the plebs so far in this thread should be shot

youtube.com/watch?v=Tm3yrjwaRLo

Its boring core after season 2.

At least I got one awesome waifu out of it.

you plebs deserve to get caught with the biggest, blackest, prostitute, ever

>it doesn't really kick into high gear until around the start of the third season,
>mad men
>high gear
Is this for real?

>it gets good after season 3

>single finest thing ever produced
>lawnmower foot mangling
pick one

>it doesn't really kick into high gear until around the start of the third season
Are you fucking serious? I understand how people like it, but how can you ask anyone to watch more two dozen episodes before they can be expected to enjoy it. And then people say the series peaks at five, so it's like you have a series that begins badly, and ends badly, and is mostly bad.

Okay, but there seems to be little of a cohesive story, which would be find it the stories for each episode were compelling, but they're not. I dislike the Sopranos for the same reason, but that series has has high stakes, (usually Tony and a power struggle he's having with someone else), that usually get resolved by the end of the season, or earlier. Mad Men, as far as I could tell, does have extended conflicts, but the stakes aren't that high, and they're not that compelling, so I can keep watching to see what happens with that single mother and her kid who moved in across the street, or not, because I don't really care about it, and it's not like there's some inevitable conclusion that's being reached.

Most if not all shows have one or two good seasons in them, that's it. After that it's just the studio prolonging the ordeal artificially and redundantly just because they know people will keep watching it.

True Detective is a case in point. Season one is perfect and sufficient.

I said until season 3, there's a difference, and before 3 it's entirely watchable just a little more scattershot.

is it just me or is this thread full of plebs?

So I can think of the Simpsons, Seinfeld, South Park, King of the Hill, Star Trek:TNG, Are You Being Served?, and that's all for now, shows which gave more than two good seasons. Now, you said most, and maybe the ones I mentioned were exceptional, but for a series like Mad Men, I would expect the quality to be more consistent if the series is held in such high retard. This might seems rather hypocritical from someone who doesn't care for the first few seasons of Seinfeld, ST:TNG, and South Park, but those seem like shows where you can just skip the episodes if you don't like them, which I have, but that doesn't seem feasible for a series like Mad Men.

>which would be find it the stories for each episode were compelling, but they're not.
I disagree completely. There isn't a bad episode of Mad Men and it's a show that got better as it went on. The worst season of Mad Men is the first one.
> I dislike the Sopranos for the same reason
Well, you and I are just never going to agree on this subject then, The Sopranos is a perfect television show.
>but the stakes aren't that high, and they're not that compelling
Again, just completely disagree entirely. The stakes are the character's relationships and egos and belief systems
>and it's not like there's some inevitable conclusion that's being reached.
You mean like life?

>There isn't a bad episode of Mad Men and it's a show that got better as it went on.
I wouldn't describe the episodes I saw as "bad," just mediocre.
>The Sopranos is a perfect television show.
Do you really think this, user? You couldn't think of one major complaint for the show?
>stakes are the character's relationships and egos and belief systems
So in the episode when the MC's boss puked because he ate oysters and strained himself, what were the stakes there? It seemed like there was no growth at all. I think I get that it's supposed to have the character realize his limitations compared to to his young employee, but I don't see why I should care about that. Also, the events of that episode, as far I as I remember, have no impact whatsoever on future episode. The Sopranos had a lot of shit like this, where I get to the end of the episode, and I wonder what the fuck I did with my time, as I'm trying to connect with characters and they keep going through conflicts that don't change them in the least, so it they no impact on characters, so they had no impact on me
>You mean like life?
Pic related is the greatest film in the history of humanity, by that standard. Why even fucking have a television series if you're going to show something that's totally indistinguishable from real life? Also, plenty of times, there are realistic situations where inevitable conclusions are being reached and it's clear they're being reached, so I don't see why this shouldn't be reproduced in drama. Even the Sopranos did this better. Surely, I can't believe at some point in Mad Men's series, some conflict doesn't come up that needs to be resolved across several episodes and you feel that it's being gradually more and more resolved. If that's the case, they should have put that in the first season, and if that's never the case, um... the series sucks?