What does Sup Forums think of this?

What does Sup Forums think of this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6ySgb8pqXzM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Golden_Age
historyforatheists.blogspot.lt/2016/11/the-dark-ages-popery-periodisation-and.html
historyforatheists.blogspot.lt/2016/05/the-new-atheist-bad-history-great-myths.html
armariummagnus.blogspot.lt/2009/10/gods-philosophers-how-medieval-world.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Director's Cut is great. Theatrical cut is a mess. Best part is when Orlando Bloom loses his sword and is forced to use a rock to crush a dude's skull.

they think it's kino. Haven't watched the movie personally

the director's cut is quite good. it poses theological and existential questions about understanding the nature of god, sin, and man's place in creation. the theater/tv version is a generic historical action flick.

too sympathetic to muslims

pushes the "le both sides were bad" narrative when the crusades were a reaction to Islamic hordes raping and killing

the directors cut improves it a bit, but orlando bloom is still shit and he ruins the movie

>orlando bloom sucks
>non-noble christians were sold into slavery after the siege, not peacefully allowed to leave

other than that its ok.

saladin let the christians leave if they paid him

Just about every secondary character is fucking brilliant, but the main character sucks. Not to mention that the plot gets pants on head retarded when they decide to make some uneducated French blacksmith the leader of Jerusalem. Also they don't show the battle of Hattin, which is like the most important thing that happens during the whole crusade. I mean what the fuck?

I really want to like it, but my historical accuracy autism doesn't let me.

exactly. so the non-noble christians were sold into slavery when they couldnt pay

How do I watch the directors cut?

Wtf I love jihadists now

Only watched directors cut and loved it. Great music and good fights/battles. Also for all the Orlando Bloom hate, you can't deny this glorious haircut is glorious

I really wish they'd make movies like this again (Troy, Kingdom of Heaven, Last Samurai). Here's to hoping King Arthur will be good.

love the Harry Gregson-Williams score

also this scene

youtube.com/watch?v=6ySgb8pqXzM

Ridley Scotts 2h apology to Hollywood for making black hawk down

>Also for all the Orlando Bloom hate, you can't deny this glorious haircut is glorious
Dudes a fucking hunky fucking dream boat, but still was a wet blanket for most of the movie. Just too far out of his depth next to the likes of neeson, irons, and norton.

dat hair

You'll need to find an old priest and a young priest, and the blood of a virgin pagan priestess.

Convoluted mess with decent set pieces. One of the worst main protagonists I can think of.

Massively overrated here.

Maybe someone like Jake Gyllenhaal would've been better in his place

What movie isnt improved by based Jakeypoo?

Watched Prisoners recently, dude was amazing in it, love that guy

>King Arthur
Can we get an accurate depiction of who Arthur was supposed to be? Some Brythonic nobleman or possibly a Romano-Briton officer who rallied against the Anglo-Saxon invaders? No castles and no plate armor.

I didn't care for the 2004 King Arthur film that much, but I did appreciate that they actually made it about Arthur and the Britons vs the Germanic barbarians.

Better than Gladiator

>apology to Hollywood for making black hawk down

But I liked Black Hawk Down.

Absolute bullshit.

The Roman version of Arthur is shit, though. Actually, that entire story from both sides is shit.

I think having the colorful band of crusaders slaughtered at the beginning of the movie was a deliberate slap in the face to LOTR fans. I think Ridley wanted you to know right off the bat this wasn't going to be a lofty tale of heroism.

but also FUCK ISLAM

He was fired from covenant because his 12 yo son leaked some xeno pictures.
A pity, he did a great job in prometheus.

Hollywood elite didn't because it didn't shit on the military, so he made a "all Christians are bad and Muslims are good" movie as an apology

It's not dude, the Seljuk turks were real and they were fucking brutal to pretty much everyone.

He set the price above what Jerusalem could pay and took many civilians as slaves. Saladin was a pretty reasonable guy by the standards of the day, but it's pretty bullshit how the movie makes him out to be a saint while showing the worst of the Crusader side.

That explains why I enjoyed it. Also getting to watch Ewan McGregor kill niggers with a grenade launcher.

Also without any backstory people just assume the muslims had some right to be there.

>movie portrays muslims too positively

I never understood this argument and it gets posted every time this film gets brought up. If we consider the amount of screentime christian and muslim figures get, it's obvious they're treated absolutely equally.

Good Christians:
Orlando Bloom
Jeremy Irons
Liam Neeson
Edward Norton

Bad Christians:
The two idiots, one played by the guy Brendan Gleeson

Good Muslims:
Saladin
Initial slave guy

Bad Christians:
The reckless idiot who keeps telling Saladin to attack all the time

What narrative purpose does including more muslim screentime serve in a story focused on power politics in christian jerusalem?

i could have tolerated the anti christian propaganda if they had at least cast a better lead. its visuals and music are really the only things it has going for it.

That period is often considered the golden age of islam. They were far more tolerant of other religions and people than the west was, and it was the scientific capital of the world at its time. No doubt innovents git caught in the crossfire, but what is accurate in the movie was the crusade that established the kingdom of jerusalem and how brutal it was. Saladin did let everyone who paid the bounty go, which was easily a far more kind option.

Also, Saladin was a Kurdish Sunni, not a Turk.

>golden age of islam

nice joke

I love the variety of clothing and armor

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Golden_Age

>The crusades were a reaction to Islamic hordes raping and killing
Really?

The sneeze was a nice touch.

Before the islamic conquests the entire middle east and north africa was christian. Muhammed and his followers were basically the most savage barbarians the world has ever seen who raped pillaged and burned everything from India to Spain until they were finally stopped in France. Then proceeded centuries of muslim terror against christians, where millions were raped and enslaved, until Europe finally decided to resist with the crusades.

The muslims were always the bad guys, then and now.

Nice bait, faggot.

Eva Green kino

Story is pretty bad, Bloom is a shitty Ridley Scott ubermensch character, and the Christians were bizarrely non-religious. But some of the scenes look amazing and Eva Green is sexy, so it's not worthless.

>the Christians were bizarrely non-religious
It's sad how many of you simply do not understand history at all. Not saying that this movie is accurate by any means, but to assume that everyone in the middle ages were pious, devout and their entire lives revolved around religion is just stupid. Of course the Church/Pope would have you believe that, but the people back then were hardly any different than the people now. Your life didn't have to revolve around religion.

The crusades being a reaction to seljuk on byzantine land is only a partial truth. There were political, economical and ideological factors to consider as well. It consolidated the papal power nicely when his influence was waning, for instace.

not surprisingly , the muslim sources tell the exact same story as the western sources, only with reversed roles. We ( the Other, the barbarians) encroach on their ( the muslim, the cultured) lands bringing with us our lack of personal hygiene and our utterly barbaric ways, such as eating the corpses of our fallen as we were being besieged. etc etc. We would obviously baulk at hearing our ancestors being portrayed as boors whose remedy for every ailment would be gnawing on garlic and bloodletting. Strip those sources to their kernel though, and you'll quickly find that both sides have committed atrocities

There is no need for romanticisation of the past, not only does it alter truth to fit your agenda, it fans the flames of discord between different cultures.

>Golden age of Islam
>Arabs coasting off the achievements of the Greeks is a "golden age"
>Arabs go back to goat fucking after Mongols rape them and no more Greeks to build shit for them

It's like people are genuinely surprised and confused that there is ancient Greek architecture in the middle east, as if arabs always lived there and the ruins just popped up like fucking mildew

>le both sides where bad meme
Show me the records where Europeans captured thousands of thousands of rape slaves from the middle east and then we'll talk. Sometimes truth is exactly that black and white.

>and the Christians were bizarrely non-religious
almost as if it was based on real life and not a shitty redit meme

Nigger, this has nothing to do with the Greeks. Muslims weren't even in Greece for another 200 years after this time. Their accomplishments in science, the promotion of scholarly arts, and healthcare is mostly what made it a golden age. They were hundreds of years ahead of the west.

Fucking kill yourself already. You are a moron.

It's literally a story about a holy war. Obviously intentions and motivations vary a lot but I don't think it's incorrect to say people back then were quite devout, especially compared to modern western people. Its why Nietzsche went on his spiel about God being dead, because in years past it had been a very big deal. Assuming everyone had the modern cavalier indifference towards religion seems like more of a wish than reality.

Fucking kill yourself already. You are a muslim.

I'd bet most people were devout in the way that they didn't want to go to hell and suffer for eternity. Religious law was pretty straightforward, and could easily be considered an extension of natural law; ie dont kill someone because you don't want to be killed. The crusades were just as often a platform for wealth, power and glory as it could have been for redemption. No doubt there were people that went because of good christian intentions, but those people could easily have been in the minority. Often the people that wanted redemption were too poor and helpless to make the trip without support, which is why instutitions like the templars were formed.

>Gets asked for source
>"Fucking kill yourself"
Hahaha. You definitely proved your point there. Pathetic.

I don't see any sources for your/his dumbfuck opinion. Even if you were able to pull one out of your ass, you're generalizing and condemning an entire group of people that by no means had any connection to each other other than religion. This movie is about Saladin, it is about the Abbasid and Ayyubid Sultanates, both of which were a fuck load more accepting of dumbfucks like you than -anyone- in the west at that time.

>Show me the records where Europeans captured thousands of thousands of rape slaves from the middle east and then we'll talk
They didn't because Europe's labor market was overflowing with people already, with not enough worked land to employ them (and landowners not really willing to create jobs for them at their own costs).

They DID however capture and sell into slavery (to the Muslims, especially in the Northern Africa) a fuckton of their own. Pretty much every failed campaign into Holy Land in that era ended with the leadership of a broken army selling their own (lowborn) men as slaves to the enemy in exchange for their own guaranteed freedom and often money.

Sometimes it didn't even take a defeat for that - many lords just missed critical battles and entire campaigns due to logistical reasons, and in that case selling off your own retinue bit by bit was the only way to pay your way back home, or at least to return the losses on the journey.

Every time this turns into a not muh history thread. Fuck off to /his/ with that shit

It's mostly just ignorant fucks coming in here spouting anti-muslim rhetoric. They're unable to see past what they are now instead of what they were then, which was a group of people that valued science, innovation and tolerance instead of blocking it out for hundreds of years like the west did.

>I'd bet most people were devout in the way that they didn't want to go to hell and suffer for eternity.

That's really all they need to be to be considered religious. A lot of religious rules go past simple common sense laws, dietary limitations probably being the easiest example. They were concerned for their souls and it guided their actions, the same as the muslims. Casually hand waving all this stuff is a fairly recent invention.

Slavery is better than getting roasted and eaten alive by crusaders

Probably the best Director's Cut in terms of improving a movie.

XDDDD islam promoting science, ur one dumb Macron voter arent u, faggot

lolololol

I'm not even Muslim

Sub80 iq reading comprehension right here

>Good Christians
>Bad Christians
>Good Muslims
>Bad Christians

I see what you did there sandnigger

DC is verified kino. Anyone who says otherwise is a legitimate pleb.

There were no bad Muslims during the Crusades, they were the ones invaded by hostile foreign armies.

Wrong thread shitposter.

not a great film, objectively. But if you have a hard on for some history epics it's perfect. 3 hours long, lots of atmospheric chanting, and plenty of Orlando Blumpf not being his usual massive on-screen pussy

Directors cut he meant, not capeshit

>t-they v-valued science n sheeit
>t-they definitely didn't dig up some old texts and translate it into local dialects to pass it off as new knowledge

Science and innovation belong to the most savage conquerors of all time, it is no means by which you should judge character.

>tolerance
ha.
HAHA

AHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAha

Yeah, never once in history.

okay now this is just bait.

Director's cut was a great movie
Not historically accurate though, like everyone seems to think

Director's Cut you dumb nigger. Also he's right.

Would be a fantastic film if not for the talent-vacuum that is Orlando Bloom.

> a group of people that valued science, innovation and tolerance instead of blocking it out for hundreds of years like the west did.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA
>breathes in
AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

You do know almost every muslim achievement was either stolen from Greeks/Romans/Indians or produced by Dhimmis, right?
Even your precious Al-Andalusia

Directors cut is even better then Master and Commander

Type like a retard, get a retarded answer.

>it didn't shit on the military

Guees you didn't understand it then.

>If I pull that off will you die?

Director's Cut is 11/10 one of the best movies ever made. The theatrical cut is entertaining but completely unwatchable after seeing the DC.

you're a fucking moron. but yeah, keep gibbering memes you ugly little autistic shit.

It would be extremely painful

No one said it was.

c'mon m8, you're not even trying
historyforatheists.blogspot.lt/2016/11/the-dark-ages-popery-periodisation-and.html
historyforatheists.blogspot.lt/2016/05/the-new-atheist-bad-history-great-myths.html
armariummagnus.blogspot.lt/2009/10/gods-philosophers-how-medieval-world.html

> a simple blacksmith rises up the feudal hierarchy episode

Fucking Ameroniggers I swear

Thanks for your shit links, where even the comments tell the author what a fucking idiot he is.

>and plenty of Orlando Blumpf not being his usual massive on-screen pussy

I object, he was easily the worst part of the movie. He had a great cast of actors around him and he just ruined the whole thing. It didn't help him that his character was a complete contrivance (blacksmith who is secretly a lord's bastard and rises to nobility and defensor of Jerusalem after rejecting kingship due to high morals even though he had no problem in fucking the queen in the first place) but a better actor could have pulled it off better.

Bloom's character was pretty much only a vehicle, a fish out of water type to show the audience the much interesting things that were happening around him. I still find the movie great because of the historical context, the amazing actors who disappear into their roles and the ambience/costuming.

Someone should make a Sup Forums's cut removing all the heavy focus on Orlando's Balian whenever it's possible and let the movie focus on the historical events. The history nerd cut.

But for this film I would think Bloom a huge faggot.

At the very least it'd be a shorter movie.

I take it you have dogs in this fight?

Fuck Muslims and fuck their death cult false prophet

How is it bait?