Is he the most overrated writer?

Is he the most overrated writer?

Eraserhead was pure garbage.
Twin Peaks puts me to sleep every time I try to watch it.
Fire Walk With Me was ok.
Lost Highway was entertaining but didn't really go anywhere.
Mullholland Drive was tryhard too smart for you core like most of his movies but I liked it.
Inland Empire puts me to sleep every time I try to watch it.

I like what he tries to do but at the same time some of it seems pointless and without direction. I personally think he is overrated but thats just my opinion.

>inb4 2deep4U

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Go watch God's Not Dead or Passion of the Christ you fucking cuck.

Yes. All of his stuff is literally DUDE RANDOM LMAO.

>This is what plebs actually believe.

Both of those are garbage and I don't see what not falling for the lynch meme has to do with cuckoldry.

What do you consider good writing, and can you please be more precise explaining why you think his writing is overrated, so we can have a discussion?

One writer I like that gets put in the same column as Lynch would be Kubrick, although I am not a fan of 2001.
I think Lynch is overrated because his stories pretty much all follow the same choppy non-linear nonsense. If his movies were more rounded with a start and finish, in whatever order, I would probably like him more.
He has good ideas and great visuals but he is always talked about as one of the best when a lot of his movies just don't make any sense or tell any real story.

>choppy non-linear nonsense

What are you talking about?

Also it's not that I don't like Lynch I just think he gets a little too much credit just for being 'different'.

>a lot of his movies just don't make any sense or tell any real story.

Each director, whether it's Alfred Hitchcock, William Wyler, Kenji Mizoguchi or Satyajit Ray, all have their own style of filmmaking. Lynch has his own style of filmmaking especially seen in the narrative. This style is very inaccesible, hence the hate a lot of people have for Inland Empire and Eraserhead, while loving the accessible Mulholland Drive (my favorite), Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet.

The movies 'not making sense' (the surreality) is just an artistic choice.

>or tell any real story.
This is why Lynch is regarded as a great filmmaker. The man is known for not telling real stories, he is known for his absurdity with some (often shocking) thoughts behind it. When I first saw Eraserhead I thought it was very cool but I didn't think it had much substance. After a second viewing and doing some reading on it I saw how it was a tragic story about a man who wasn't ready to be a father. And Mulholland Drive might seem like a very weird love story, but it's actually a very good satire of the showbizz culture in America.

Now I accept if you still think it's overrated, maybe he gets too much credit, maybe he doesn't. But I hope you realize that his movies tell stories, it's not just a bunch of imagery.

yes, overrated writer

underrated director

get in here guys
S2 E1-8
lets(dot)rabb(dot)it/886j/3O880xrfXC

You are clearly evaluating the quality of a writer if he can make a coherent linear narrative, which is absurd.
Lynch films are not about the narrative, he's a surrealist, everything is focused solely on the experience (which is mostly a representation of a dream)

Don't try to find singular universal answers in Lynch films, they are more of an experience where the viewer projects his mind onto it.
While you watch it you shouldn't be "manually" deconstructing every segment thinking what does this or that mean, but just let yourself experience everything.
So literally whatever you think is the answer to your questions IS the answer, there is no wrong.
It's like that to stay as a personal experience for every viewer, not just a puzzle with universal singular answers to everything.

You probably think Tarkovsky is a shit writer too because his written narrative are merely plot points for the actual visuals, the emphasis on the visual narrative, not the written one.
Tbqwy I don't even like Lynch or Tarkovsky that much, but I would still say that they utilize the visual medium better than 90% of other directors, their films can't be just retold to someone, you literally have to see/experience them.

>while loving the accessible Mulholland Drive (my favorite)

Mulholland Drive was cobbled together with footage in a way that was not originally intended which is why it has a busted narrative and relies on "dream logic" to make it work.

You're praising a failed TV pilot that they shot some extra stuff for and re-edited to make it a movie. You're calling it accessible when it makes no fucking sense, because it was supposed to be a more straightforward narrative TV show but that didn't happen.

This is why Lynch is so loved by college age pseudointellectual cunts.

>cobbled together with footage in a way that was not originally intended
A good editor can make a good film, even with difficult footage.

>boohoo the film was edited and made entirely different from the original idea therefore IT'S SHIT

you are not even aware how many films are made entirely in the editing room, all the reshoots and narrative turns come from the editing process my dude

>You're calling it accessible when it makes no fucking sense
wrong

>cobbled together with footage in a way that was not originally intended which is why it has a busted narrative and relies on "dream logic" to make it work
lol you think the process invalidates the finished product? please tell me more of your opinions on movies

If the extra stuff and re-editing was by someone different trying to make something work out of the failed pilot, okay, but it's the same guy reworking his own material. Also, your point is an argument for why it's not accessible, when you're replying to someone who found it accessible.

Lynch is one of the greatest living directors.

Mulholland Drive isn't a satire. At all. He's not amused by Hollywood in that film. It's a tragedy of broken dreams.

>Eraserhead was pure garbage.

Stopped reading right there. Faggot.

>A good editor can make a good film

It's an assembly cut.
>you are not even aware how many films are made entirely in the editing room

Are you people fucking serious, it's a failed TV pilot that had footage bolted on to resell it to recoup the loss.

>lol you think the process invalidates the finished product?

Is this a fucking joke, are you the same person? Some jew decides to re-sell a failed show as a feature film and you praise it.

>If the extra stuff and re-editing was by someone different trying to make something work out of the failed pilot, okay

Jesus fucking Christ I have timeshares to sell all you gullible fucking retards. The movie makes no fucking sense. People like you defend it for making no sense saying the equivalent of "it's stylistically designed to be that way".

I bet you're the kind of idiots to stand around pondering single colour paintings at the art gallery too.

Reminder if you don't think Blue Velvet is Lynch's best film, you don't belong here.

how is his hair always perfect

>Is this a fucking joke, are you the same person? Some jew decides to re-sell a failed show as a feature film and you praise it.
not the same person. also not shocked that a board for film discussion has people who like mulholland drive.

it's curious that you keep saying it's a failed pilot. i'm not suggesting you're right or wrong, but that you seem to misunderstand the history of it. studio canal bought the rights from ABC for $7million to make it a feature. again, what this has to do with the actual film is negligible to me.

i'm not interested in changing your mind, but it tickles me that you say you don't think it makes sense and keep bringing up it being a pilot. at least try to make a valid argument.

I'm LMAOing at your life.

>tfw too dumb to enjoy Lynch's films

great in depth analysis OP
wtf I hate david lynch now

You seem to be one of those guys who thinks he's an insider because he knows the same information everyone else does and refuses to understand it on more than one level. The movie makes sense. You were responding to someone who said it made sense for them. So hot are you to mention something you read on the fucking IMDb trivia page, you ignored the user's statement in order to did-you-know us.

Of course I'd look at color field paintings, you loser.

People who shit on lynch just dont understand his work which isn't hard to understand in the first place.

op is flexing his retardkino

>you don't belong here
Pretty high compliment, desu.
FWWM is his best.

Actually, it's Inland Empire. Nice try, Reddit.

>The movie makes no fucking sense.
Sure. The producers decided to spend millions to make a movie that makes no sense. It's one of the highest acclaimed films of the 21st century, yet it makes no sense.

Open your eyes, man.

>trying to talk sense into someone with a room temperature IQ