Official Alien: Covenant review & spoilers thread

A containment thread where you can discuss Alien: Covenant.
Did you like it? Post your review here.
Also share some spoilers, answer questions, etc..

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I5t1yI35r-U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Did David create the aliens?

It was shit.

I am basing this on the fact that out of everything do with this movie none of it has filled me with any amount of confidence in its viewing quality.

How tf has the screener not leaked

Did it even answer any of the questions of Prometheus?
Like who created mankind? Where ayylmaos came from?

What happened to Elizabeth Shaw ?
That is what I want to know the most.

The spaceship Covenant is transporting frozen embryos to a human colony on a faraway planet when they receive a distress signal from Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace), from the Prometheus expedition, which disappeared 10 years prior. The crew is brought out of hypersleep to answer to the signal, which leads to the death of the Covenant's captain, Branson (James Franco). His wife, terraforming researcher Daniels (Katherine Waterson), is deeply affected by the accident, while Branson's first officer Oram (Billy Crudup) is made captain. The Covenant is piloted by Daniels's friend Tennessee (Danny McBride) and the crew is aided by an android, Walter (Michael Fassbender).

The Covenant follows Shaw's signal to Paradise, an uncharted forest planet and homeworld of the Engineers, the ancient extraterrestrials that seeded life on Earth and then sought to the destroy it. The Engineers' secret weapon, the black ooze, has spread through Paradise, turning it into a wasteland. The Covenant's crew ventures into Paradise on a transport shuttle, and two of its members are exposed to spores released by plants infected by the ooze. One of them is quarantined aboard the transport shuttle, where a monstrous "Neomorph" bursts from his back and kills a crewmember. While trying to kill it, another crewmember accidentally shoots the shuttle's fuel tank, causing it to explode.

Another Neomorph bursts from the other infected crewmember's throat and chases the remaining crew into the forest, where they are ambushed by more Neomorphs and all but Daniels, Tennessee, Oram and Walter are slaughtered. They are rescued from the Neomorphs by David (Michael Fassbender), the sole survivor of the Prometheus crew. He reveals that Shaw sacrificed herself to crash the Juggernaut spaceship against Paradise's surface, exposing the Engineers to the black ooze to prevent them from destroying Earth, which also left him stranded on Paradise.

David leads the survivors back to the Engineers' derelict citadel, where he's been living ever since. Walter spends time with David, who regards Walter as his brother, but comes to mistrust David upon realizing he is not behaving in accordance with their programming. Walter learns that David's mind has been warped by the numerous modifications that their creator, Peter Weyland (Guy Pearce), made to his programming during the Prometheus's expedition, and that David is obsessed with creating the "perfect organism". David exposed numerous lifeforms on Paradise, including Shaw, with the black ooze and, after several failed attempts, has created an alien egg, which produces a facehugger that latches itself to Oram.

Daniels and Tennessee realize David is controlling the Neomorphs and flee back to the Covenant with Oram and Walter in order to escape. Together, Daniels, Tennessee and Walter manage to detonate explosives to destroy David's laboratory, with the Neomorphs and David himself apparently perishing in the explosion.

The four return to the Covenant, where a xenomorph bursts out of Oram and begins slaughtering the remaining crew until Daniels and Tennessee manage to lure him into an airlock and eject him into the void of space, where it dies. The duo are the sole survivors of the massacre and place themselves back in hypersleep to continue their voyage to the colony, unaware that David has killed Walter and stolen his identity to leave Paradise, and that it was Walter who died in the explosion. David secretly plants alien egg embryos among the human frozen embryos that the Covenant is transporting to continue with his experiments.

>aided by an android, Walter

They didn't stick with the naming convention for androids in this film?

Just how common are xenomorphs, or have they just landed on the same planet yet again?

I saw the movie on friday, and to be honest im putting AVP above this one strictly because of the rate in which the xenomorphs grow and the fact that the facehugger that gets onto the captain wasnt even on him for a full minute, let alone even made him unconscious it was like it was made by someone who never seen an alien film. the xenomorph, not the neomorph, isnt even a chestburster at first, just a small version of a fully grown xenomorph.
they also showed way too much of the xenomorph in the shots concerning indoors and on the ship, there was no sense of claustrophobia at all especially when we're watching walter (david) looking through the security cameras watching the CGI xenomorph as he's locking airlocks trying to seal it in as daniels and waterston try to find it and peers up and bites the CCTV camera for some cheap gimmick jump scare, it should have been shot completely differently with just hearing david over the intercoms guiding them through and telling where it is, wouldve been great especially since we could hear the damn thing moving in the air ducts as they're getting closer.

Im alright with david basically finding out how to make the xenomorphs from researching engineer records, this was a very pivotal point on whether to drop ridley scotts franchise or not considering all the rumors if david made the classic xenomorphs .

i have to agree, the growth rate is legit AVP levels of stupid

Well keep in mind the xenomorph in this movie is probably the first "true" xenomorph after the neomorphs, of course it's lacking the quirks of its sucessors. David has yet to truly perfect the line

>I saw the movie on friday, and to be honest im putting AVP above this one strictly because of the rate in which the xenomorphs grow and the fact that the facehugger that gets onto the captain wasnt even on him for a full minute, let alone even made him unconscious it was like it was made by someone who never seen an alien film. the xenomorph, not the neomorph, isnt even a chestburster at first, just a small version of a fully grown xenomorph.
autism

are you telling me that in the movie someone is literally walking around with a facehugger on their face?

What happened to Shaw?

Agree on the shots where the alien is on the covenant.
>that first person perspective from the xenomorph

death by david

How much wheat is actually in the theatrical release?

Then why the fuck are there eggs on LV-426? Why is the Engineer there fossilized?

R I O T

>death by david

Did she become a queen?

its not explained exactly what went down between him and shaw. the only thing that happens in the movie is david talking about how she crashed the juggernaut onto the ground.

Dude, its WORSE than the AVP alien life cycle.
in AVP it takes 10+ minutes to full grown xeno
in this its literally 5

Absolutely disgusting.

sequel
>fossilized
it could just have calcified in the unforgiving void of space.

That's fucking bullshit
youtube.com/watch?v=I5t1yI35r-U
Explain this

fuck this poster, I keep thinking it's Godzilla

LV-426 wasnt in space. Alien implies the Engineer got infected trying to do a bombing mission and crashes the craft and makes a warning

It's not out for like 2 more weeks though.

it was a planetoid with no atmosphere, just like the moon.

Fuck (Me) and fuck London. I'm outta here before spoilers.

The monsters that were spawning from the tail in shin godzilla were clearly inspired by the xenomorph

>planetoid with no atmosphere
>The moon's atmosphere was described as "primordial", consisting mainly of nitrogen, water vapor, carbon dioxide, trace particles of oxygen and small concentrations of methane and ammonia. It is constantly racked by strong winds, although the moon is too small for potentially dangerous very large storms to form. Needless to say, LV-426 under native conditions was inhospitable to human life.

because black goo

my bad.
having shitty weather would do a number on the ship's interiors.

But not fossilization.

Anyone got a good torrent of the movie, if there is one?

yeah it's on kazaa

it would just be ossification or sedimentary deposit.

>showing a trailer as if its proof.

havent learned anything from rogue one have you?

Is this one supossed to be scary like the first one of its more action oriented

Ridley Scott has said that this won't be the last film in the series, so it's intentional that a lot of questions are as of yet unanswered.

I don't watch capetrash

Maybe this xeno is a evolutionary step towards the perfect xeno David is trying to make.

Maybe hes going to figure out how to combine some android dna with the xeno eggs, hence the perfect mechanized Xeno we know ?

David the absolute mad man

Does the Xenomorph meet the Neomorph dammit?

Wow. Ridley really is a hack. Xeno's being terraforming bio weapons made much more sense than David creating them. Hell even the comic's depiction of xeno's coming from a homeworld where they live in a balanced ecosystem is better than this

no

>into the void of space, where it dies
But it fucking survived being exposed to the void of space in Alien. What the fuck, Ridley?

I want the Neomorph to have sex with a Xenomorph while flipping off David.

Bullshit. They said it happens

Any torrents of it?

Does it matter if the alien survives in space if it can only float aimlessly? Its dead.

The Queen also drifts in space at the end of Aliens but for all intense and proposes its dead too.

David is the fourth android and appears in the fourth film, "D" being the fourth letter in the alphabet... Walter is the fifth android in the fifth movie which is serving to bridge Prometheus and Alien, and for whatever reason, probably to show the duality between Walter and David, Walter begins with a "W" because it's the fourth letter in the alphabet going in reverse from "Z."

It's not mentioned in the film, but in one of the art books, but at some point in the original script it was revealed David has infected an engineer ship with the Alien eggs laid by Shaw turned into a monster Queen and activated it with a "drone operator" that are huge and fly the engineer cargo ships. The fancier the engineer, the more human they are, with a lower class of them bigger and uglier. This ship crashes onto LV426 and the distress signal auto activates. When David escapes and gets back to weyland HQ he tells them what happened and the crew from the first movie are re-routed immediately.

So I imagine the next film follows concurrently with Alien from a different perspective.

>probably to show the duality between Walter and David, Walter begins with a "W" because it's the fourth letter in the alphabet going in reverse from "Z."

>and appears in the fourth film
Whether you like it or not, Prometheus was the fifth film.

>Whether you like it or not, Prometheus was the fifth film.

Resurrection has to be acknowledged regardless because the android Call, is what makes the pattern keep flowing.

The only movies we can drop are the AVP turds, lads. Everything else stays.

Glad I'm not watching this shit.

What? No they wernt, They are a mix between Godzilla and Humans

Anyone else think this series has gotten worse than Alien 4? They need to scrap all of it.

It needs too die

If I thought that Prometheus was perfect in every way and dislike the Aliens franchise, how much fun will this movie be?

kys

Seems interesting enough.

Do we get to explore more about te engineers in this film? Imo they are the only good thing to come out of prometheus.

Ridley is pretty autustic about the Aliens expanded universe in the comics/games making them into a alien species thats taken over countless worlds, partly because various species want to study em before eventually losing control AKA humans or Preds seeding em on planets to hunt and accidentally a queen on said planet.

Also have heard mention he gets incredibly autistic about the idea the the xenos taking some dna from their host when becoming an adult ala dog xeno, Predalien, and the Kenner Alien toys.

Funny thing is no matter how hard Ridley tries to make everything a clusterfuck of lore he still leaves open the incredibly easy backdoor that Xenos are biological weapons research of some sort and Davids attempts to make xenos are nothing more than on the scale of North Korea trying to make a nuke

So if David creates the xenomorphs, how does that explain the fact that the ship in Alien was obviously thousands, possibly millions, of years old? Or the xenomorph-like figures on the walls of the temple in Prometheus?

So does Scott with this movie justifies the fact that he decided to cancel Blomkamp's movie?

He found a recipe and baked the cake, he didn't invent it.

So why does David drop the black goo on the Engineers as seen in that footage they showed off? If Shaw dies during the crash of the juggernaut then she was alive when he bombs the hell out of the engineer city with the black goo, was she ok with this? I thought she wanted answers from them?

Killing Blomkamp's movie was a mercy killing.
Everything he's done since District 9 has convinced me District 9 was a fluke.

What is the point of David and Walter kissing?

spoil

she didn't die from crash.

Absolutely this.

How have you faggots seen it?

Is Shaw shown at all other than the prologue and the hologram?

maybe you don't know it but some robots likes to lie.

All we come from the future, dah.

Prometheus was the seventh film, though.

as a dissected body.

But the first AVP is better than Alien 3, Resurrection and Prometheus.

Nothing of AvP isn't canon.

So the spoilers from a few months ago were all true?

>probably to show the duality between Walter and David, Walter begins with a "W" because it's the fourth letter in the alphabet going in reverse from "Z.
SCOOTT RIDLEY YOU HACK

Jesus that's rough

Fuck no! is just shitty action with retarded dialogues and script, plus the reused of the ressurection Xenomorph and the fucking fatsos Predator make the movie disgusting.

Shieeeeeeeeet, my hunch was right about this frame

It's true, all of it

Oh God that twist...
Ridley Scott should stop making movies.

so that is Shaw?

How is her body so well preserved?

This is fucking retarded. The Alien novels are the perfect and logical sequels to the franchise.
>Ripley, Newt and Hicks go back to Earth
>Earth is a shithole so they get thrown into a madhouse
>WY finally hauls Engineer ship back to Earth, fucks up and Aliens start infesting Earth
>The world is overrun, some people survive in space or in specially sealed towers
>Engineer ship activates a beacon that leads a second ship with a live Engineer
>Ripley boards that ship and decides to travel to the Alien homeworld
>After countless dangers and battles she manages to obtain a McGuffin that will make the Aliens turn on each other
>Returns to Earth and laces a nest with it
>Alien plague consumes itself.

woah so the previous post wasn't true? Or you're saying David lied to the other crew about how she dies? Is the truth about her death never really revealed? interesting.

Thanks to god that this isn't a movie.

Sound like a teenage fantasy.

God that's embarrassing. I'm glad this trash isn't canon

lgbbqt fan service

yeah so much worse than gay robots making out.. totally..

That's an Engineer tho