Comicbook Movie Rating List

Here is a list of the most to least acclaimed comic book movies. The scores were determined like this:

>I combined three scores for each film using three major sites - the wide-sweeping critical countings of Rotten Tomatoes, the more selective critical assessments of Metacritic, and the open to the public IMDb user ratings.

>One condition was decided from the get go - RT's T-Meter score is ignored in favour of each film's 'Average Rating' by critics out of 10. Without a mixed option, the T-meter score is generally unreliable as very mixed reviews are often classified as positive - leading to many widely liked but rarely acclaimed films scoring ridiculously high. The site's average rating score from critics however has proven far more stable and consistent over time and is employed instead.

>A film like "Watchmen" had a 6.2/10 RT average rating score, a 56/100 Metacritic score, and a 7.7/10 IMDb user rating. The result was worked out like so:

>(6.2 x 10) + 56 + (7.7 x 10) = 195 / 3 = 65.00. This meant its final score was 65.00 out of 100.

Seems pretty fair

BVS is up there now at 55.33%

What do you think?

Fuck off to

>Akira
>That low

I'm not aware of Porco Rosso having a comic.

>The Mask
>That low

>TDKR
>that high

Was it ever a manga? There are a lot of movies on that list that I never knew were comics. It's very thorough. I'll give it that.

Only nerds didn't like it, user.

INTO THE TRASH

>Blue is the Warmest Color

Is it like the comic? It can't be, if it's rated highly.

Reviews are so very missleading as time moves on.

I mean, Princess Bride, John Carpenter's The Thing, and I'm sure dozens of other films were initially panned, but gained a following and long term appeal.

Is there a way to account for the scoring of the "nostalgia factor" of films released in the pre-internet era before any of these metrics were created? In a very real sense, films like the Tim Burton Batman may move up or down the scale because they are being scored by a viewer in the present with all their baggage of preferences and biases rather than a historical viewer.
Have the review sites made an effort to research a "historical" review score that is independent on changing tastes and reflects how a film was accepted by audiences at its release date?
I ask because I'm a historian and one of my pet peeves is the tumblr trend of interpreting history using modern values and thinking rather than the perspectives of the people living during that era.

>Metropolis and Ghost in the Shell at the bottom
>beneath shit like TDKR and Scott Pilgrim

pure garbage

>What do you think?
I think art is subjective and critics should go the Kurt Cobain route

thanks for compiling all the stats though, have a bump while I check them out

This is the moment when you realize that all film reviews, whether from a critic or audience, are entirely and completely subjective and relative, and ultimately don't mean shit.

tastes change over time. What audiences and critics like are moving targets.

>Ninja Turtles and Speed Racer that low
Why do we listen to critics again?

There are not all

>Ironman 2-3
> that high

>Cap 1-2
>that low

Mind you, IMDB ratings are also counted. I loved Speed Racer. It's sad most people just didn't get it.

>It's sad most people just didn't get it.
It's not even that, there's nothing to get. The problem is that first impressions are EVERYTHING. People will convince themselves whether they like or hate something almost immediately. Speed Racer had too many marks going against it. It was a live action adaptation of an old cartoon that changed too many aspects to be considered faithful, therefor it was new and frightening, and people decided that was bad. There is little to no subjectivity in the world of criticism.

>Both Addam Family movies
>Rocketeer
>Ichi the Killer
>That low
All this shit taste

Someone has probably already said this but the prominent problem with this system is, like all rating systems really, it relies on how many people with certain tastes have seen the films.

i expected lower for V for Vendetta, they didn't gave a fuck in terms of adaptation i guess