Moana

recently found this on twitter.

Moana looks more tribal-esque here.

do tribal Polynesian women shave their armpits?

nah, just pluck the hair there.

>pig and chicken
Did Polynesians even have those before coming into contact with Europeans?

The pacific islands that have "native" populations were originally populated by Asian settlers. These settlers had access to pigs and chickens. Yams too.

Europe and Asia actually benefit from being on the "widest" (East to West) continent of Eurasia, which allowed for fast adoption of livestock and crops.

Compare this to Africa and the Americas, where crops took longer to adapt to the variations in growing conditions as you went north to south.

Fun fact: Madagascar was originally settled by people traveling from Oceania/Asia.

That means that historically, it was easier to go from Africa to Europe, Asia, the pacific islands, and then Madagascar... than it was to just hop from Africa to Madagascar.

Africa is a horrible continent to develop on.

This movie is going to Princess and the Frog in theaters.

i think you meant something else.

The rooster is the bad guy, I'm calling it! Just look at the lust and hate in his eyes!

This better not fucking bomb. I'm a huge fan of Polynesian culture and there's hardly any fantasy fiction with that aesthetic.
shit, I can't even think of another movie/game/show besides Lilo and Stitch.

yes, and pigs were super important to polynesian tribes too

Well, if wrestling shows count, just tune in to Monday Night Raw and it's just Samoans as far as the eye can see.

It might do okay in the west. It'll bomb in Asia tho.

Japan's indiscriminate love for Disney v. Japan's racist tendencies: Dawn of Maybe this was a bad idea.

A lot of Disney movies do badly in Japan. Frozen did great because it featured two snow white female protagonists.

>those cheekbones
yes good

I thought Japan liked Hawaii. Don't they like vacationing in Hawaii and loved Lilo and Stitch?

They made Lilo a white anime girl in their TV adaptation though.

Real Lilo shows up at the end though.

The Japanese issue with dark skinned people is most of their history had them as the Ainu ethnic group.

The Ainu were the natives to Japan, before China colonized it and oppressed the fuck out of them. Ainu have always been rural, and country folk with a strong accent.

The Ainu stereotype in Japanese culture is comparable to a Mississippi Caucasian with skin like leather from working out in the sun who drawlsso hard you can barely understand them.

So as a result, Japan tends to think that about any tan peoples. Anyone black is just American, meaning they're stylish but loud and annoying and probably a walking armory.

Forgot pic.

>Yams too
I thought those were from South America.

An old sailor myth is that chickens and pigs don't drown because of this many sailors had roosters and pigs tattooed on their ankles and feet.

Still disappointed that they decided to go save and just do Hawaii again instead of the rest of Polynesia.

Hopefully Sund and Moon won't do that too.

Bionicle was only islander for the first couple years; then it went more sci fi.
The reboot is more Aztec-looking.