MARVEL ALMOST SOLD CAP AND THOR

Marvel almost sold Captain America to Warner Bros Pictures and Thor to Sony Pictures in the early 2000's, before Marvel Studios was established.

comicbookmovie.com/avengers/marvel-studios-very-nearly-sold-the-film-rights-to-captain-america-and-a141334

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v4qNhUwBvj8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Huh

The price of freedom is high.

Captain America v Superman: What's So Funny About The American Way by Zack Snyder

And a amazing Spiderman - Thor team up.

>Bucky v Superserum Man
Ends with Cap dying to Apocabones.

>Of course, Feige has never claimed to be the one responsible for founding Marvel Studios, but it's his vision which has given us the MCU we have today regardless of where he was when people like Maisel and Avi Arad were around and talking about giving Iron Man armour which disguised itself as a toaster!

I didn't believe this so I went to the link and lo and behold:

>Despite helping to at least open the door for superhero movies, producer Avi Arad is widely credited for running the Spider-Man franchise into the ground with the creative decisions he forced on both Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man movies. Kevin Feige and Arad don't get along, and when the latter quit Marvel in 2006 due to a lack of faith in their ideas for a Cinematic Universe, it was Feige who would soon take over as the studio's head.

>Arad has since tried to take credit for creating Marvel's slate, despite at one time happily agreeing to produce a movie which would have seen Iron Man unable to fly and dressed by his toaster. This has created a lot of tension between the two, and explains why Arad was so dead set against Spider-Man ever joining The Avengers when interviewed in 2014.

Huh, no wonder they pushed him out. But I guess this means Venom isn't part of the MCU since Arad is involved.

Captain America by Hack Snyder would be pretty fucking terrifying. Single-handedly destroying middle eastern countries without remorse during a perpetual thunderstorm.

>Captain America to WB
>Captain America by Snyder
Oh god.

What do you think a Sony Thor movie would look like? Seeing what they've done with Spiderman, I'd think it would be worse than what we have, but the Disney Thor movies aren't exactly the finest of the MCU.

He would have gone full Ultimate with Cap.

Snyder hates Captain America though. Back in 2008 he said:
>we're going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we're not careful

He'd jump for Civil War from the getgo.

>You'll get to Valhalla when you WIN THIS DAMN WAR

Obviously, he's not a fan of comic book characters in general. It's clear he hates Superman and from his comments about prison rape, it's painfully obvious he hates Batman as well.

Well given their track record is:

Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 3
Amazing Spider-Man
Amazing Spider-Man 2
Ghost Rider
Ghost Rider 2

I'd say there's a likely chance it would've done worse than the Disney Thor movies.

Avi Arad is a maniac. He forced Venom into Spider-Man 3, despite Raimi adamantly declaring he hated Venom. That's why Spider-Man 3 was so half-assed, because it wasn't the movie he wanted to make, so his heart wasn't in it at all.

Yeah but he wouldn't have Iron Man since he wouldn't be sold off to WB

>I'd say there's a likely chance it would've done worse than the Disney Thor movies.

They're not that bad, pleb. Sony wouldn't even know where to begin.

But it's true, a Sony Thor film has a far likely chance to be done worse than any Thor film that Disney made.

But he said Sony Thor would have been worse.

Obviously. But the implication was that Marvel's Thor movies are not good.

No that was making that implication.

If only he knew

From the Hollywood Reporter article they linked to:

>Maisel says the company's focus was on licensing other characters, "the more movies, the better because there's more consumer products to sell." Soon after he started, the company was poised to license Captain America to Warner Bros. and Thor to Sony. "If I had gotten there three months, six months later, those deals would have been done," he says. "And there would be no chance to bring all these characters together." Spider-Man already was at Sony, and Iron Man had been idling at New Line. ("They thought it was a lousy property," says Maisel.) Hulk was at Universal, which had made one semi-successful film.

Deadpool was also at New Line too (Fox eventually got him for Wolverine Origins) and so was Blade. Also was Universal's Hulk really that successful?

What fucking heroes does he like?

I don't think he does. I'm pretty sure his mission was to somehow make comic books "palatable" to those with similar shit taste with shitty film adaptations.

Watchmen

Avi Arad is so bad Steven Seagal thinks he's an asshole.

You say that like he doesn't hate superman and batman

Ozymandius

>Maisel says he wanted the next movie to focus on Hulk because Universal's 2003 Ang Lee version provided some basis to predict how another might perform. But Universal still had rights. Maisel called Universal chief Ron Meyer and asked whether he had plans to make another Hulk. When Meyer said no, Maisel says he proposed that if Marvel could have rights back, he would make at least one more Hulk movie, spending $100 million-plus, and pay Universal to distribute. It was found money for Universal. The catch was that Universal could distribute the films only if Hulk were the central character. Marvel owed Universal nothing if Hulk appeared in, say, an Avengers movie — which is, of course, exactly what later happened. (In one of several points of dispute, Arad says that he was the one who contacted Universal.)

>Ant-Man by Zack Snyder

Half the movie would be people exploding from failed shrinking devices.

The second one was unarguably shit, a near total cinematic abortion, and a literal remake of star wars episode 2.

(But the Loki scenes were good)

Some stuff the Russos said about Perlmutter leaving, might as well post here.

>Even Dupree is on cable television on a never-ending loop.

Anthony Russo: To be honest with you, before we did Winter Soldier, Dupree was by far the most commercially successful thing we’ve ever done. Almost the only commercially successful thing we’ve ever done.

Joe Russo: Also, it’s the thing we’ve felt we had the least amount of control over, with that movie than anything we’d ever done in our career. So, if we were going to go back to movies, we were going to do it in a way where we had great creative control.

>It is surprising Marvel qualifies as that.

Joe Russo: There’s this misperception about the way that Marvel works. You have to remember, too, it’s a very different place than it was two years ago.

>Right. Someone [CEO of Marvel entertainment Isaac Pearlmutter] who used to be there isn’t there anymore.

Joe Russo: He’s not there anymore.

>So even to you, you can tell that big of a difference?

Joe Russo: Oh my God.

Anthony Russo: It is different. We obviously have to see our vision of the movie to Kevin Feige. Our job is to go, here’s the movie we want to make, and sell it to him.

>And he’s a fan.

Joe Russo: But it’s no different than the process at any other studio where you’re dealing with a studio head who is writing a check for hundreds of millions of dollars.

Anthony Russo: Kevin would then have to then sell that vision to “someone else.” Now he doesn’t have to.

Joe Russo: Anytime you streamline communication, you’re doing better work.

I had high hopes for eccleston since him being the only good thing in gi Joe showed he's capable of redeeming schlocky material and the comics version of his Thor 2 character is a total ham, but thor 2 gave him literally nothing to do other than stomp around and grunt in elfspeak

>What do you think a Sony Thor movie would look like?

I'd be hard-pressed to believe it could be worse than the ones we have now.

He hates Ant-Man even more than he does Captain America

>Snyder took a shot at the Marvel Universe in an interview with The Daily Beast. While addressing Steven Spielberg’s comments that “there will be a time when the superhero movie goes the way of the Western,” the filmmaker said Marvel heroes are a dime a dozen.

>“I feel like he’s right. But I feel like Batman and Superman are transcendent of superhero movies in a way, because they’re Batman and Superman,” Snyder said while promoting Doritos’ final Super Bowl filmmaking contest. “They’re not just, like, the flavor of the week Ant-Man — not to be mean, but whatever it is. What is the next Blank-Man?”

Maybe mutters is the reason Thor 2 was shit? I guess we'll see when ragnarok drops

>trashtalking ant-man
>meanwhile superman vs. batman ended up being complete and total shit

>They thought it was a lousy property

They must be kicking themselves now.

>What is the next Blank-Man
Oh gee, maybe Bat-Man vs Super-Man you fucking hack. Matbe wait till after the movie comes out to take a victory lap

Sebastian Stan's response to him was 10/10 though.
>Something about, ‘It’s not going to be your flavor-of-the-week Ant-Man.’ And I was like, ‘Oh thanks, Zack. That’s great. Way to do something original,'” Stan continued. “But I would say we’re still making something very original in our own way. I mean, the Russo’s are coming in and taking something people are used to and they’re shaping it up and changing it in a very different way. They’re not trying to mimic a better Christopher Nolan movie or something like that.

*Maybe

Should've sold Thor. Thor movies been sucking hard.

Hundreds of high-profile actors and directors turned down "Iron Man" after it went to Marvel Studios, certain that the movie would be a spectacular flop.

Terrence Howard was paid so much because his street cred was at an all-time high in 2007 and they needed at least one high-profile actor to add credibility to the project.

of course, Cap's not a Jesus-like figure so Snyder can't wack off to it.

Oh wait, after reading the HR article it turns out Iron Man was at New Line so if they got Cap maybe they could've just moved Iron Man over.

Winter Soldier delivering the frostburns.

>They’re not trying to mimic a better Christopher Nolan movie or something like that.
They're just trying to mimic a Joss Whedon movie.

This, also remember that RDJ was a big risk because of his drug and prison stuff.

Remember that episode of the Simpsons where they joked about him being in a shoot-out with the cops?

It's always the quiet ones.

One year later? You can do better than that, Zack.

You really think that Sony would do a better job? Sony, with Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 and the Ghost Rider films? And that's not even getting into other stuff like Pixels and the other lesser Sandler comedies.

Doesn't sound like he has a particular hat on Ant-man.
He sounds more like just another casual, who thinks Batman and Superman can be the only good written super heroes.

You tried.

youtube.com/watch?v=v4qNhUwBvj8
kek

>he doesn't realize/care that he's slamming the entire dc backbench
No wonder the flash and aquaman directors quit rather than work a franchise led by this moron
Maybe Affleck's Batfleck flick will be good enough that Ben can cuck Snyder's job

The Aquaman director quit too? When?

What? James Wan is still on Aquaman isn't he?

>They’re not trying to mimic a better Christopher Nolan movie or something like that.
EXTREME ICE BURN

>>he doesn't realize/care that he's slamming the entire dc backbench
That's the best part to me

It turned out to be just a rumor

>Marvel almost sold Captain America to Warner Bros Pictures

I don't even want to imagine what that would have been like. But I already have.

>A small apartment, the curtains drawn.
>An old record player barely drowning out the noises of an angry and restless city.
>A man walks into the living room in full military dress.
>He places a box on the table, has a seat and stairs at it for a moment before taking a deep breathe and opening it.
>He reaches in and slowly pulls a gun from the box.
>A tear roles down his eye as he chambers a round.
>He puts the gun to his head pauses for a moment then screams.
>Title rolls in from his open mouth
>CAPTAIN AMERICA

Even worse, Ultimate Cap had redeeming qualities and the guy learned from his mistakes.

SnyderCap would be exactly what casuals who have never touched a comic think Ultimate Cap is.

Even the Ultimates made a dig at RDJ when Fury tells Cap hus face looks more smashed than RDJ.

And that was before the Iron Man movie.

alright Sup Forums
lets cast Sony's Thor
>Kevin James as Thor
>Adam Sandler as loki
>Chris Rock as Zeus
>Melisa Mcarthy as Jane Foster
>David Spade as Mjionir

He said Watchmen is the one book that managed to get him into superheroes cuz "sex and violence"

>Zeus
holy shit i meant odin

>Arad has since tried to take credit for creating Marvel's slate, despite at one time happily agreeing to produce a movie which would have seen Iron Man unable to fly and dressed by his toaster
And I thought Marvel movies were bad. I mean, a toaster? That's dumb even for a cartoon.

No no, this could work.
>Sony Hercules

>In 1943, Steve Rogers (Ryan Gosling), an impoverish, sickly young man rejected for military service is selected as a test subject for the Supersoldier Program, a fringe science experiment secretly funded by the United States government and conducted by mad Nazi scientist Abraham Erskine (Scott Glenn). Rogers, an expendable figure, unexpected emerges as the sole survivor of the horrific experiments, whereas Erskine is killed by a deranged subject who snaps his neck. Rogers is immediately conscripted to become a black ops operative in the European frontlines, a skilled, untracable operator who becomes an urban legend known as "The Captain" among the soldiers. In his final assignment before retirement, Rogers is unexpectedly ambushed and falls into the freezing waters of Iceland following a seemingly fatal explosion, and is declared dead.

>On present day, Rogers is found and revived by the shadowy international intelligence organization SHIELD, led by General Nick Fury (Jason Segel, playing against the type), who collects Rogers' blood to complete a refined reproduction of the Supersoldier Serum given to an accomplished black ops operative, John Walker (Alexander Skarsgard). Rogers is stripped of his rank and shield and forced to conform to a rundown life in a world that is alien and broken to him.

>Maisel also confirms that Universal still hold the distribution rights to The Hulk while Marvel owns the character, so a solo movie remains unlikely.
Why haven't they bought them out yet, this isn't like the situation with Fox/Sony; they can't make a movie on their own, they won't get any money even if the characters are included in other movies. Just sell the distribution rights back already.

CAP OF MURDER

>Seth Rogan as Hercules

>Soon enough, he can't take any more of the filth that pollutes the streets and drapes himself in the American flag to wage a one-man war against crime, terrorist, drugs, prostitution and all behavior he views as immoral and degenerate. SHIELD soon makes Rogers their public enemy and Walker is sent to kill him, but in the process the Supersoldier Serum in Walker's veins begins to mutate him, driving him insane. Warped by his own sense of self-worth and viewing himself as morally superior to the human race, Walker tears the skin off his face, rejecting his human upbringing, to embrace his new role as an icon and a symbol of a new world order. With Walker's rampage threatening the population, it rests on the shoulders of Rogers to fight one more time and destroy the living embodiment of what went wrong with America.

>But Rogers soon realizes that he himself is a relic of a fundamentally broken system for a myriad of different reasons, and chooses to die alongside Walker in a symbolic act in which he acknowledges Walker as his brother in their physical superiority and sense of detachment. Rogers is given a proper burial by SHIELD as a loyal soldier of America, but soon rises out of his grave and despairs at the realization that the serum in his veins has rendered him virtually immortal, forever denying him the embrace of death and shackling him to a world he's grown to resent, forever steering him towards a neverneding fight for a broken dream.

>Then Fury's aid remarks on how hot Rogers is "for a grandpa"

>DIRECTED BY ZACK SNYDER

I heard of dodging bullets before, but this is ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure that SHIELD and Nick Fury were a seperate license

Snyder Cap would only be pallatable if he casted Fantastic Four-fresh Chris Evans in a Sucker Punch outfit.

Nah. Fox made a Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD TV film. They also wanted to put Ultimate Fury into Fantastic Four 2 but Marvel declined it (since they were planning to use him for Iron Man)

>James Franco is his satyr sidekick who introduces him to the pleasures of the modern world, namely weed

>THOR BY SONY PICTURES
>Kevin James as Thor
>Peter Dinklage as Odin
>Adam Sandler as Loki
>Melissa McCarthy as Jane Foster
>David Spade as Mjionir
>Chris Rock as Zeus
>Seth Rogan as Hercules

Anyone else?

That's exactly what I meant, that SHIELD and Fury wouldn't be included in the Captain America rights

Oh right, yeah, they wouldn't be part of the Captain America rights.

Ya'll laugh but Universal considered a comedic Hulk movie starring Adam Sandler in the 90's.

No it's better if he's Zeus.

>Superman and Batman are complex characters with the potential for movies with both heart and meaning
>If Snyder continues we get his trash
>If Snyder leaves the next director will probably create a braindead comedy
JUST
U
S
T

No joke, they were stuck on a script written by Jonathan Hensleight in the 90's and considered just making it a joke, with Sandler as Bruce Banner and Jim Carrey as the main villain, Novak, an ex-con who is turned by gamma radiation in a monstrous ant-man.

Amy Schumer as Enchantres
Avi Arad as Surtur

I'd be better than what we got.

The Rock as Skurge, complete with gut wrenching sacrifice?

This thread reminds me of when Sup Forums brainstormed some ideas for a Tim Burton Spider-Man movie.

Which outfit though?

>tfw realizing you dont live in the nightmare alternate reality where the MCU doesnt exist and comic book movies are still about as good as video game movies

huh

Well, Snyder hates Superman too.

>That's the universe where all your favorite shows got another season