How's Your Webcomic? /hyw/ #267

Share your comic with others!
Link your website and portfolio!
Comment and critique others work!
Previous thread: Thread activity: Draw your character getting caught in the rain.

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0lck7oo4A
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
tapastic.com/episode/345575
webtoons.com/en/
lezhin.com/en/
youtube.com/watch?v=_nH6ya5g2-s
vimeo.com/2867706
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag

Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:

>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

>*-Finally, here are some links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV

>*-Here’s the contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>*-We also got a SKYPE CHAT room going on,
To join the chat, seek out 'starlinemike' or 'scribblehatch' and they'll add you in.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0lck7oo4A

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>no double embeds
good job friendo
who wants to talk about continuity?

Onto the mammoth task of blacklining. Ideally i'd like to try and capture a kind of laid back and comfy feel in a kind of Kino's Journey way.

An traveler ventures to a nature-reclaimed edifice only to find she is not alone.

This looks pretty!

Ok that's it for now, I'm heading out
>
Really good advice with the shoulders thing, yes the short torsos and long limbs are international but I think they look pretty weird too honestly
>
Here's how she responded you your comment

shangri-fuckin'-la dude. i love it

Very well done, good job

The Sisters updated! And shit officially got real.

thesisters-comic.com
tapastic.com/episode/345575

Lookin pretty rad! Reminds me a lot of Brandon Graham (Royalboiler).

And thus she did smite him with the holy hoof iron
I didn't think erin and this fight could get more badass but holy goddamn crap. compound fucking fracture in radius AND ulna, and still able to do that. Well hopefully he works on typical rules, and this actually shuts him down for good.

good riddance faggot

And still workin on my own little mini-comic one-off (pic related) imgur.com/a/zkylk

It's safe to say he's down for the count.

>bugquest only comes here for self promotion
>dewd never works at getting better
>bones is lerking in the shadows
>cell novel copypasta still happens
>sisterfag annoying shit
>ms paint guy dumps too much
>Willdrawforfood is a cock sucker
Pls just let these threads die

That's a bit dramatic, but I don't really show anyone my early sketches or designs either, so I can sort of understand it. Might be worth starting with a short story or something simple like that if she's particularly worried about her skills, though. If she's new to the whole comics thing it'll help a lot to get a little critique and practice in with the proper comic format before diving into something big.

even when it's insult time I get left out ._.

Someone's writing a novel about Dragon Ball Z's worst villain?!?

What happened to Bad Adjectives guy, I liked him

Didn't his house burn down?

yeah but he came back briefly.. so there must be something else wrong now
he was doing a new comic for a while

>check comic today
>two fans
:D

>check comic day after updating
>0 views

Cry harder, faggot.

>tfw no one shares my depressed webcomic feels

almost done page! (without text)

damn, please don't stop. this world you're building looks awesome.

I share it amigo
0 views, 0 views, 0 views. My stuff only got views when this gen corrected my english, so I stopped and pursued on my own. 0 views.

So I'm doing a comic. It's not a serious story or anything, it's just a light comic called Juneau, its about a short 'thicc' girl (named Juneau, go figure) running around punching gods in the face. This is my first comic so I'm trying to do my best here and learn everything I need to to make this better. Im studying on the side but yeah. Expect this within a month. I'd be glad for people to shit on it.

What's your comic? I'll give it a read.

well the art looks great! Do you have any designs for the gods the girl punches?

Hey, Harro! I got something I want to talk to you about on Discord, I just have a question to ask real quick, thanks!

looks cute m8
you look like you'll do just fine

what are we doing wrong my man?

I want to FUCK Miss Melee's armpits!

does this comic have a plot?

so nice to see you again!

cute as fucking shit dude. link us
I don't think that's a thing. but i want to lick them

nice to see you too user! (I'm usually here, just lurking or anonymous if my posts aren't related to the comic)

are the lines ever so slightly blurry? Why?

I need some input from you guys on how a certain mechanic in my story is going to work, if you don't mind reading a bit.

The story revolves around a kid jumping back and forth between a fantasy world and the real world, Pan's Labyrinth style, but I'm having trouble deciding just how that would work.

The world itself is actually a self-contained cluster of memories from an ancient god and all his creations, who are all sealed inside a tree. The idea is that getting near the tree pulls you inside, and each time you do, some of your memories get caught inside and vice versa.

My problem is I don't have a set way to leave the world.

One idea is to have you "wake up" as if you were in a dream, but that's inconsistent and feels like more a cop-out than a legitimate plot point.

The next idea is to die inside the world, but that eliminates all risk.

The last idea involves an item that essentially grants wishes, so basically you wish yourself out, but that item doesn't come up for a while, and I need to have him be able to leave before then.

Finally, I don't really know where I'd have the character end up once he's out. By the tree again, in his bed, who knows.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Go play Alice McGee's Wonderland whatever it's called but the second game, not the first.
In that, she only wakes up after major plot points to not draw the player too far into the game and forgetting her real life counterpart exists.

What if the way to switch out is to swap places with someone outside the dream?

That could allow you to get more people into the dream world, and more people into the dream world out into the real world.

I wish there were more sites like Dumm Comics that hosted a bunch of comics. Like a Shounen Jump for webcomics.

That's an interesting take, but a bit beyond the range of where I want the story to go. I want it to be a story for one, almost to the point where you don't know if it happened at all. Really good idea though - I'll keep it in mind.

Drunk duck is one that I know of.

>that world jumping scenario
ehhh
>the other world is godmemories
oooh now you have me.
>dream
that would be traditional. link's awakening is the first thing i thought of.
>there's an item you can wish yourself out with but they dont get it for a while
ding! RPG rules. Perfect solution: you can only leave the treeworld when you find a special branch-with-fruit-on-it which contains a portal back to real life. or just a portal.. or a special stump with a portal in it.. whatever. You only find them every so often (possibly only when you've jogged the god's memories a bit or broken open some that were sealed) so that leaves a possibility of tension. like sliders, you can't be sure when another one's going to show up

well we used to have things like fireball20xl..
i think he means all on one SITE. like, you go to that site every day, and maybe today this comic updated, maybe tomorrow that one did. because otherwise yeah any hosting site counts as that.. or anything in between like hiveworks or freakanimes

webtoons.com/en/
lezhin.com/en/

y/n? It looks clean too, and plenty of talented af people.

>or just a portal.. or a special stump with a portal in it..

I actually do have something like that... basically weak points in the world that leak the same essence as the wish-granting item. Perhaps I can re-work them somehow.

Also, glad to see the concept is at least interesting.

>i think he means all on one SITE.

Oh. Well, I know Tapastic's a thing, but creators have to submit their comics there.

Isn't RSS used for that? I don't know much about how that works, but I seem to remember it's something along the lines of that.

yeah, or maybe just.. i mean, do you have a form in mind for said object? because like, if it turns out to be a compact, you could find whiffs of makeup dust. ashes if it's an ashtray, etc

how do you feel about minor jokes that end up coming back as a major plot point?

They're alright.
I have none in my comic except something something fractals *cue laughter* except that will be explained fairly early.

i only regret one i ever did, because it took something slightly funny and changed it into something mundane. basically it retroactively ruined the joke by making it no longer a joke
venture bros has a bit of this. the really old joke names they brought up at random.. now we know who those people are, so it's no longer a joke

What about things that seem minor or random but come back much later? It's not childish to write like that, right?

>do you have a form in mind for said object?

Yes, actually. They take form as bodies of water, like a small rejuvenating pool.

Maybe every time he dives into a body of water, there's a chance he'll get sent back. That could even play into the mechanic that the more you visit, the harder it is to leave, since the chance could decrease.

That sound reasonable?

Probably not. I remember a comic that did it but I forgot which.
Not Homestuck, they did it but not that comic.

>tfw your Rebel family are singing the star spangled banner downstairs while you're trying to draw
>tfw I can't find my fucking earbuds
MAKE IT STOOOOOOP, THEY'RE SINGING ALL THE VERSE, NOT JUST THE FIRST TWO AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

that's actually neat. i was going to say random vials from said body of water, so when you actually discover the BODy it's like OH it's a whole spring of that stuff we've been using
but actually that works too. the idea of it getting harder to leave makes a lot of sense. especially if his memories are mingling with the god's memories.. yeah. hell that even fits in with the sleep metaphor, as hitting someone with cold water is a traditional waking technique.. and one that decreases in efficacy over time

what would you think of YouTube videos like moving comics? Meaning it would have sound and voice acting but not full animation? Is that a bad idea?

isnt it mexico day? our day is in two months

It works too because he crosses a body of water to get to the tree which slowly gets deeper over time, and he could wake up in a nearby creek, or in the bathtub, and wow that actually really works. Thanks for talking with me. This helped immensely.

i always wanted to do that!!!
I mean, who doesn't love these gems?
youtube.com/watch?v=_nH6ya5g2-s
vimeo.com/2867706

yeah this is like six different kinds of classic myths together, i love it.

I legitimately spent hours following something similar. A Swedish mulatta would make these awful comics and talk with a high pitched voice their lines. Including the males. It was fuuuuun.
That would probably be nostalgic for me, dunno about other people, go for it.

those where purely comedy, what if it was more like storyboards with voice acting? Like watching the unfinished deleted scenes of an animated movie but that was the whole series?

could work. but dramatic acting is going to require some serious quality performers or it'll be pure narm

Ive been lurking for a couple months now, forever hesitating to post.

Should I just go away and never return? y/n?

Some of it was story but eh sure. It wasn't exactly comical. I just watched i because she was my inspiration.

I still would watch it. It would be like those cutscenes from Alice McGee's Wonderland or Psychonauts and I have good memories of watching those deleted scenes from movies like Bee Movie or Dune because, I dunno, but at least I don't look down on the practice.
Do eet.
I think I used to do it when I was 10 but my stories were nonsensical to the modern me (two people talking, one gets shot, cut to both of them locked up and chained in a room screaming, cut to a girl at a front door, she slowly fades away) so I'm sure you could do better.

you shouldn't go away
you should post us more context, because this page on its own basically gives us nothing

Leave because you're too good.

Go away drama queen

okay!
I just finished that page, so I don't have much else to show right now.
But! I'll be working on this project pretty much everyday all through May, so expect regular stuff from me.

Whoakay t-thanks!

I just wanted a few people to talk about making comics with. Twitter is good for promotion but nobody really talks to you unless you're already known.

Ok I just needed reassurance that it wasn't autistic
I'm gonna do it :D

surely that isn't page 1

dont forget to post results
Are you going to do all voices?

It is, yes. Page 2 and 3 reveal a lot more of the current situation.
I'll be submitting this to a printed anthology, so I can get away with being confusing at first, as long as I intrigue you enough to turn the page. Not that I've achieved that, but that was the idea.

A good portion of them because I can change voices. I'm getting my old theater group together.

Your figure drawing skills are on point, but this is one hell of an unappealing way to start. The mysterious narration, lady lying on the ground and other lady shouting "You betrayed me!" in a melodramatic fashion can give readers mood whiplash, which doesn't seem to be what you're going for given your uniform, orderly, but ever so slightly askew panelling.

I can't give you a really good rundown when there's only one page to pull from, but your art's on point.

Oh shit, I didn't even notice it was the first page.
Yeah, I thought that was like some random page.

It feel like a start of a murder case in Phoenix Wright desu

if you say so.. this doesnt feel like a start to me

Not really.
An Ace Attorney opening immediately depicts an immediately understandable scenario, but either leaves a lot of blanks or pushes the player into thinking things they KNOW are false (like "my defendant did it").

This page gives us a cryptic narration next to some broken windows, a pan out to an establishing shot (which probably should have been the first panel), a shot of some girl on the ground, and a girl shouting dramatically.

We can gather what's going on based on this, but it's not really like Ace Attorney's cold opens at all.

Fair enough
Maybe the author just wants an intro with a "kick". I have writer friends who are into the same thing. Then there are others who are into the more shocking intros to get new readers with ADHD to keep turning the page.

If you do your best, that will in turn make me want to do my best.

So please do that.

Kind of rude to imply that shocking or immediately gripping intros are meant for people with ADHD.

I've got nothing against user's page itself.

Talk about the fairy princess from last thread you hack.

I beg your pardon?

So this happened. The translation is apparently inaccurate too. It's been an amusing day.

Don't play dumb with me, you boob.
Don't just dump and forget. I want context.

What are you talking about?

Haha was that too triggering? I dont have anything against his page as well. English is not my first language so pardon if thats sounded rude. I even employ the same tactic myself eventhough my writer friends warn me about it. They say "If youre going to make that kind of intro, it'll be difficult to keep the tension up for the rest of the story. The result is high tension at the start and then it will crumble down until the peak of the story."

Or "you realize that'll be the first impression on your comic, right?"

I get what theyre saying.

I wouldn't say "triggering", just a bit condescending. No harm done, I just think whether people wanna start fast or slow shouldn't get labelled like that.

Thanks! I understand what you mean, my paneling could've probably been a lot better in this page but yeah, like said, I'm hoping for your "what?", followed with a page turn.
I've been trying to improve my art since November when I decided to go full on into comics, I think I'm "getting there" but I have this constant "not good enough" in the back of my head. It's really nice to hear that somebody thinks I'm decent.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback. I don't know if I will have time to rework the page but hopefully I can use that knowledge in future projects.

Yeah, it's easy to forget just how important composition is for making a page work. I'm sure your story will come out fine.

Awwww, cute.

Finished this page!

Do you even try?

I have ADD and I wouldn't bother with such a blatant attention grab. It presents mysteries but none I'm interested in without any initial investment. I'd prefer an introduction to a character, not just a flop directly into some generic action scene.

Relax. Thats only the 1st page.

Really happy how cute they came out.

Don't take this the wrong way but I see at least six characters yet the background is literally just green grass(?) with a blue sky. I guess you at the very least drew clouds though even if lazily. Couldn't even draw grass under the guy shoe in the last panel, for all I know they are all walking on a giant green sheet. You seem to care way too much on the characters but couldn't give a shit about the comic as a whole. Ever though about just writing the story out, you know normal text format? It isn't like you even need the pictures to be honest.

so damn cute. youre going places. cute places.