Could Mel Gibson adapt it to movie form successfully?

Could Mel Gibson adapt it to movie form successfully?

Mel Gibson or the Coen Brothers

Roger Deakins behind the camera though

Mel is the only man who can adapt this to film. And Nic Cage should play the judge. He's got one more great performance in him. I just know it.

Only if they literally use the same makeup/effects from Prometheus to depict Judge Holden

i have no idea why anyone thinks Mel Gibson would be a good fit for this. because he's edgy IRL and likes gore? his movies are corny as hell. like embarrassingly corny in every example but Apocalypto, which by all appearances was a fluke (and at this point kind of overrated). if you think the director of The Patriot and Hacksaw Ridge should be let anywhere near this material, you are dumb

Coen Brothers. They don't just understand how to approach the story, they'll do justice to all the details of the world that McCarthy creates.

Who would you suggest?

And he didn't direct the Patriot.

Was the kid raped to death?

It would have to be NC-17 if they didn't massively cut down on the violence and racial rhetoric

Werner Herzog

I always assumed he was crushed to death or something equally brutal

|
|>
|
|
|

Werner's lost it.

Hasn't made a good movie in years.

Gibsonis a fag

Imagine Jodorowsky directing it after not even finishing reading the book

I think the story is operating on a couple different levels there. In the literal sense yes, the judge does kill the kid in some horrific way. In a symbolic sense, however, it comes down to what you think the judge represents. He's clearly the literal embodiment of evil and supernatural. Is he the devil? Is he a figment of the kid's imagination? There are a ton of different ways you can go with interpreting the judge and that final scene.

Malick now that he's gone senile

Yeah but the actor is 7'1. It loses impact when all of the prosthetics are put on a manlet. Who's tall enough with enough of a presence and voice to play the judge?

Idris Elba

I'd rather see Suttree.

>tfw gave up on the book with 100 pages to go

It got too boring and sad. Boring in terms of the narrative, the style of writing was excellent. What happens in the end?

He gets eaten by the monster. Definitely figuratively, maybe literally too

His black buddy is killed in a fight with the cops, Suttree ends up sick and hallucinating. Eventually he goes back home but decides to leave Knoxville for good.
It's my favorite McCarthy book.

The Judge is a fag. There I said it. If I was transported into the story, I would have single handedly killed the Judge because he is a bitch.

Does McCarthy even understand the basic premise of a climax? The most important events in all his stories are anti-climatic.

>hurr durr big build up between Chigurh and Llewelyn
>gets killed by random mexicans

>hurr durr Glanton and his small army kills countless scores of Indian armies
>gets killed by random small group of indians

McCarthy loves shitting on standard narrative and genre tropes. On a pretty deep level, his novels are all about subversion, and that extends to the story structure itself. His Westerns especially are about how the standard American myth of a self-reliant hero who creates order in a lawless environment is wrong. Being anticlimactic is just part of that.

>"What we are dealing with is a race of degenerates. A mongrel race, little better than niggers. And maybe no better. There is no government in Mexico. Hell, there's no God in Mexico. Never will be. We are dealing with a people manifestly incapable of governing themselves. And do you know what happens with people who cannot govern themselves? That's right. Others come in to govern for them."

Raimi

Edward Norton plays the expriest. Shia Labeouf plays Toadvine. Ryan Gosling cameos as the adult kid.

>Shia Lagoof

>he didn't get the ending

I will never die, plebian.

>because he's edgy IRL

You clearly know absolutely nothing about Mel.

>Who would you suggest?
can you not read? he says the coens