Why does Columbo seem like he does not remotely give a fuck about his job?

Why does Columbo seem like he does not remotely give a fuck about his job?

He always solves the mystery, but he does it while perpetually exuding the aura of someone who would rather be doing literally anything else.

the real question is how is he so based

to lull people into a false sense of security so they slip up.

never prove your power, OP.

No idea, it's a real mystery.

Oh, one more thing OP... could you post a screenshot of your downloads directory?

would any of his cases ever get a conviction ?

The real question is which eye is fake

Having a fake eye made him shy

fake eyed fucking bitch

They usually confess after the gotcha in front of witnesses.

>netflix dropped this show before I finished it

fucking normies

MeTV evry sunday at 7 columbo an kolchak

there is not a single moment in the entire series where columbo appears like he doesnt care about his job. even when he plays dumb you know why he does it.

u proly have a fake eye

He's thinking about his wife and shit all day long and just happens to solve murders on the way.

i can't stand this show, and I don't even know why

Rockford Files is where it's at.

>I don't even know why
It's probably, I don't know, your FALSE EYE?

He's just a natural
He was born to be a detective, he didn't force himself to be one

It's one of those things where the guy who's good at something actually lands the job that's meant for him. Not like the crap you see happen irl

People force themselves into positions they suck at while stepping on the backs of naturally talented individuals, pushing them by the wayside. Human resources being the top of the shit heap, ultimate scum

Yeah but it's just the 9-5 for him, he doesn't lose sleep over that shit. The answer will just come to him because he's smart enough to solve any of them.

He was married to prime Kate Mulgrew so I'd be thinking about that pussy all day long too.

>tfw some of my favorite memories from childhood was when I would sit down and watch Columbo with my dad
>tfw it was my favorite part of the week

I don't think that I have cozier memories in my life than the ones I do from watching this show. Warms my heart to see a Columbo thread on Sup Forums

>there where only 13 unique posters and 15 posts, someone was samefagging and I was gonna get to the bottom of it

That's exactly why he's good. He's not a robot
He doesn't have to be someone else or be way out of character. Doesn't have to dress up in a tight suit and pretend to be the ultimate douchbag with a badge.
He's basically the ultimate Chad of crime solving, just being himself bro

Columbo has a very different feel to it than most cop shows I don't think you ever see him use a gun or anything it's all just mind games and you'll spend most of the time with the killer. The show was top notch.

Remake when?

I would really like to see a Mark Ruffalo reboot they were talking about few years back. Love the first seasons.

Next Fall: Columbo on the CW, where a young detective solves every cases by discussing them with his wife at home.

Socratic irony

Hmm.

Eye feel like you're trying to tell us something.

is Chili con carne with crackers that nice?

Are there any episodes I should watch.

Watched the first season and I assume it's more of the same so any stand outs I should check out?

I don't like the Rockford Files guy. At least Columbo is humble, Rockford only seems to do the cases to pay the bills.

>Rockford Files
James Garner using his con skills to earn money the right way.

Remember that one episode where some woman just tears her shirt off, and screams rape in a college. Then some guys come in and kick his ass.

>tfw my Nonna had the box set of every episode and watched them religiously

I miss her so much

>tfw no Columbo x Monk crossover

>Monk takes one look at Columbo's car and goes into a fit

What the hell is a Nonna?

Why does he only investigate the deaths of rich people?

Not if any of the murderers knew that you can withdraw a confession.

Really makes you think.

That's not columbo's problem.

What the fuck are you on about? You can only withdraw a confession if it was obtained illegally. A confession is the ultimate "you're fucked" that you can't back out of.

>Columbo has a very different feel to it than most cop shows

It's because you see the murder take place in the beginning and the rest of the episode is basically a cat and mouse game of trying to figure out before the show reveals it what detail ends up being the clue that leads to the murderer getting caught. It focuses very largely on the bad guy trying to fake an alibi and get rid of evidence, while Columbo's almost a secondary character. At least one episode is so focused on this aspect that Columbo doesn't even appear in the first half an hour to the show at all.

>I don't think you ever see him use a gun

He's very anti-gun, actually. To him being a cop is about solving the crime and put the responsible party in jail without any violence. That's another thing that's actually pretty unique, most of the time Columbo's very polite to the criminals and they just about always confess and give up without a fuss, you rarely see such cordial relationship between the criminal and the cop that busts them. But getting back to the gun thing, there's an entire episode early on in the series where Columbo keeps dodging the mandatory shooting range test that is required for all police officers to periodically go through, and IIRC, it even ends with him basically having had some beat cop take it for him so that on paper it looks like he cleared it.

Columbo also very rarely loses his temper, the only time i can recall is when he was going after Leonard Nimoy.

>He always solves the mystery, but he does it while perpetually exuding the aura of someone who would rather be doing literally anything else.

Most tv people are like this at their job. They do THE JOB brilliantly but they shit all over both their employers and their clients.... In real life, there would be no Colombo, there would be no house. They would be fired or their gruff nature would net them no customers.

Even an example like Robert Downey Junior's iron man would never have that level of power because he has no people skills.

There's a very limited number of jobs for people with no people skills. It's usually finance, coding, or some type of day trading; that they'll hit it big at.

But anything else, if you don't make yourself likeable and form a lot of human connections (the more the better your chances of a big paycheck and promotion), you will stagnate.... even if you're the absolute best person at the job you do.

In every company I've worked for there's been a guy that's been there 10-20 years. Still low paid. Still only essentially has the rank of a private with that corporation, but he winds up doing the job of several people and even a lot of management type responsiblities..... and he goes absolutely unappreciated and reaps no rewards. That's where you land with no people skills. It's the exact same place you land in your dating life if you have no people skills.

The only option is to learn them, and some people start out with them far more naturally than others....

/tangent

House, Columbo, or Tony Stark; could not exist in the real world.

I never really bothered with this show but this post is so well-written that now I kinda want to.

>columbo have no people skills
>can coax confessions from suspects with only shit talking
wat?

It's somehow fitting for a Columbo thread to prompt a rant like this.

Bastard keeps stalling because he has to go home to his nagging bitch of a wife and blind incontinent dog every night.

Dude, have you ever watched Columbo? The whole shtick of Columbo is to appear an annoying but bumbling bureaucratic cop who just wants to get his report done so that he can close the case as an accident, and he keeps coming back because all these pesky inconsistencies with the case has to clear out because his boss is anal about details. It's an act that he does with most suspects. His bosses even shield him from shit when the suspect tries to get him throw off the case, because they have years worth of experience with the fact that if Columbo's pestering someone, he's onto something.

Any Port in a Storm
Season 2 I think

Why are the later seasons so much worse than the earlier stuff?

i miss falk
check out his films with cassavetes, everyone thinks a woman under the influence is their best work together, but husbands is better imo

>blind incontinent dog
I have one of those. It wouldn't be so annoying if he wasn't also a nasty bastard who growls whenever you try to touch him. Sometimes he even stands over his mess and growls because getting out of the way so I can fucking clean it up would be too easy.

Name one show where you cannot ask this question.

It's the scripts. It's consistently good until the last two seasons, where it's a bit uneven.

>Why does Columbo seem like he does not remotely give a fuck about his job?

I disagree. He cares quite a bit, the air is mostly "I'd let this go, but I gotta do it or my boss'd kill me". His bread and butter is the working stiff, the guy who'd let you go, but has to cross his t's and dot his i's before he can.

This is of course all part of him playing up being approachable and bumbling so he can get you in the end.

>Columbo has a very different feel to it than most cop shows I don't think you ever see him use a gun or anything it's all just mind games and you'll spend most of the time with the killer. The show was top notch.

If you like the format of this show but think it's silly and would like something more modern - check out Cracker.

UK show with Robbie Coltrane and it's grimier and far less wholesome than Columbo, but the gist/gimmick is the same.

They also made an US remake of Cracker, with Robert Pastorelli. Lasted barely one season but was pretty comfy from what I remember.

Cool, someone else has MeTV. That's a great channel. I wish they'd take it easy with the Mama's Family commercials, though.