How do we solve the millennial student debt problem?

How do we solve the millennial student debt problem?

debtors jail

AMERICAN COLLEGE'S WILL BE FOR AMERICANS ONLY
>No foreign exchange
>NO ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS
if they can't speak English they should not be given an education in our country
Also end affirmative action and accept students based on how smart they are not their ethnicity

Get the parents to pay for it

Foreign students are full fee paying?

By making millennials not dumb.

If you took a five figure loan to invest in a gender studies degree then you're an idiot who deserves bad shit happening.

If you took a five figure loan to invest in a degree that's actually worth something then you'll have no problem paying it back.

Baby boomers are the cancer of this nation and caused this problem. Can't wait to be rid of them!

The debt wasn't forced on them. They chose to pay for a shitty, useless degree, and it's their responsibility to pay for it.

Mass defaults

>school to prison pipeline is the fault of the students
>they shouldn't have committed crimes which were quickly written on the books to create more frivolous crime statutes

Get a fucking job, and pay it off. It's their own fucking fault for being naive about debt, and education.

Are all of you slimy niggers against shit like Bright Futures programs? I mean, if you get good grades you get FREE college. FREE, GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIZED college.

>It's their own fucking fault for being naive about debt, and education.

It's really not, and the way we know this is because of the scale of the problem.

They fill over 60 percent of the college's here in California, it's surreal, they take up opportunities in our colleges and are the reason why you need a 4.5 GPA to get into a UC college these days. It's a cancer that is infecting more and more millenials who can't get into the college of their choice because it has gotten too competitive. Years ago you would only need a 3.8 gpa

Can't default on government debt. They will seize your future earnings.

>baby boomers made them take loans

k

That's actually retarded. I agree with ending affirmative action, but the other is a driving force in foreign relations and education exchange.

Stop going to expensive schools far away from home for the "college experience".

By starting over with a new generation because millennials are too brain-dead retarded to fix.

In all seriousness, no more student loans for degrees with minimal employment prospects. Then they can't blame their stupid decision on boomers or quinoa or whatever they do these days.

>Have the best colleges in the entire world
>Open our doors to other countries while we screw our youth ten times over
Not worth it, only obama would put other nations above our own people

>It's really not, and the way we know this is because of the scale of the problem.
The scale of the problem only shows how retarded millennials are. I bet people who took STEM/law/economics degrees and worked hard do not have any trouble paying it back.

You elect Bernie Sanders? OH WAIT YOU FUCKS VOTED FOR TRUMP GOOD GOD

>middle school and highschool in public LAUSD (Los Angeles)
>get hammered with anything involving college and only succeeding at it
>never get taught life skills
>college
>suddenly hammered with life-skills oriented decision making.

And that's a community college that takes into consideration that you're doing stuff in your lives. I remember meeting students from ASU, UCLA, and all that who were still stuck in the school mentality and no life responsibilities. It was disheartening.

Boomers had a post war economy handed to them, smoked weed through their teens/20s, fell into desk jobs, and retire in the technology boom. They're the most entitled fucking generation to exist.

Purge the Jews and their usury ways.

Stop going to expensive and retarded schools that don't guarantee an actual career, like Full Sail.

Or try to be an apprentice out of high school.

This is more often the case than people realize.

There's also more to life than STEM/law/economics, and there are jobs in other fields.
It's not like everything that isn't STEM is gender studies, you fucking degenerates.

Yes, well they pay lots of moneys. Welcone to capitalism

No. This is the kind of attitude that creates a shitty society.

People are retarded. The only place you should ever expect rational economic decisions is from people who do it for a living, basically. And then only as long as their basic living stuff is covered, like housing and food.

There are some very very rare people that can function rationally even if forced to sleep on the street. These people are not the standard anyone else should be held to because if you try that you get a society full of bums and criminals.

You start by not telling every brain dead half-wit facebook addict that college is the only answer.

The bubble burst is inevitable. Get ready for another 2008.

£60000 debt here

done undergrad + diploma

Every other country does this. There is definitely not an issue of not enough students going to college right now.

With a gun.

fpbp
also bring back indentured servitude

>I bet people who took STEM/law/economics degrees and worked hard do not have any trouble paying it back.

Even those who are paying/paid back their loans, myself included, are working jobs they did not even need to go to college in order to work in the first place. This is how a scam works, by definition.

indentured servitude

>law

Unless you got connections law degree are mostly useless these days. Too many lawyers

This. Boomers had a very lofty existence, and now millennials are paying for it.

This. Usury should be illegal.

Trump's idea to not charge interest on federal student loans is a great first step.

To expand on this with you anons, you gotta realize alot of this starts with how many schools are set up.

They are set up for students to succeed at college, not life. You're giving future college students way, way , WAY too much credit in terms of making actual sensible life decisions in terms of the way they're being raised.

Same here, I know people who are well into the 6 figures though.

Tell them to get a job to pay for their education instead of handing out debt. If they can't get a bottom-tier job then they wont be able to get a top-tier job.

Did you major in philosophy so you could be enlightened while you wear your fedora?

Sounds like a personal problem.
I avoided college because the risk versus return
seemed too great at the time, especially for the
things that I would enjoy studying.

Now I make Im in my mid 20's and I make 30
dollars a hour, get plenty of overtime, and I
have room to grow. And 0 debt. Feels good man

>There's also more to life than STEM/law/economics, and there are jobs in other fields.
If there are jobs in other fields then why can't those people get them and pay back those loans?

Or maybe they just made a horrible financial decision and overpaid for a degree that's not that good. The solution is to stop paying for degrees that aren't worth it.

Do not allow students to take out any loans to attend schools which charge over $30,000 a year. We need to limit the cost side, college costs are completely out of line with earnings of graduates. Loans and financial aid should be national needs based - lots of assistance for degrees which we need, no assistance for useless degrees. If you are rich, and want to pretend that you are educated because you have a shit degree, it's your money, waste it however you want.

>It's really not, and the way we know this is because of the scale of the problem.

Agreed to take on debt of their own free will, it's their fault. If I go out and rack up 10k in debt, I'm pretty sure that it would be my own fault.

Be fiscally responsible, accept you fucked up getting an education in fine arts and pay your debt by working at burgerking.

College doesn't promise you a job, it promises you a degree. It's your job to assess the risk and potential reward of investing in that degree.

End for profit schooling, same as the prison system. The prices for college are utterly ridiculous, and primarily the result of there being zero accountability in college budgets. It's corrupt as all get out from top to bottom.

Place hard limits on foreign students - schools love them because they spend ridiculous amounts of cash to be there, but then they just go back home, and don't contribute to the American economy.

Fire top administrators vacuuming up budgets with ridiculous salaries. Make school about learning, not spending tax dollars on expensive vanity projects like stadiums, and pumping out athletes for major football leagues or whatever the fuck.

This. I know too many people who went to MSU for instance, didn't do well, and ended up having to leave. Partied hard though.

I have an engineering degree and paid off my debt by 29. The issue is that since I lived cheaply for so many years I basically contributed nothing to the economy.

Now at 32 I'm still just trying to save for a house after a few medical expenses raped my savings even with insurance.

There is reality, and there is the right wing propaganda. Yes, they took the loans out, but they didn't create the landscape that caused colleges to start charging so much as a result of government cuts to education, they weren't the ones that started listing every job as requires a college education, they weren't the ones that made bank loans more restrictive for starting businesses.

It all adds up, it's foolish to think that they are entirely responsible for this issue when most of the framework was put into place before they could even vote.

>it promises you a degree

No it doesn't. It promises you an intangible education. Again, this is how a scam works, by definition.

They also taught us to blame others for our own poor decisions, apparently

problem is even top tier jobsare not enough to emerge from college debt free.

my old man was a bartender (grandpa owned a bar) and his dad let him grab all the money out of the till the day before tuition was due each semester and it would pay for the entire semester.

Let them fail as a warning. If you had to take out tens of thousands of dollars to pay for college, then you shouldn't have been there at all.

t. American who paid for college with a state scholarship based on Grandparents' seed money (Florida Prepaid), a merit scholarship (Florida Bright Futures, since my parents cared enough to make me get outstanding grades K-12), AND working 25 hours a week through all four years.

Furthermore what you get is not only that, but a society of exploitation - Sup Forums often complains of degeneracy but in my experience, intelligent, driven and imaginative individuals are usually the epitome of what Sup Forums considers "degeneracy".

Darwinism just creates a society where these kind of people exploit everyone else and "honest folk" get shafted, because:

1) These people are almost always extremely manipulative and get away with it because they're intelligent and know how to use their intelligence.

2) They don't respect rules, they make and break rules for their own benefit.

3) They act like "homo economicus" actors where everyone else just goes around and does what everyone else does/what they are told by "authority figures".

4) They know how to either become or impersonate (it's the same deal, really) previously mentioned "authority figures".

No. Geography. There are actually a lot of jobs in that field, partially because no one would think there are.
I also majored in classics because I could afford to do so without delaying my graduation.

Then you're no longer producing certain classes of people that are valuable to society. One part of the problem is that there are too many people going to college and thus too many graduates in fields that don't have large job markets.
Contrary to what you may think, we do need English majors, just not nearly as many as there are, and most of those will have to settle for teaching, which is nothing to be ashamed of in itself.

I take issue with how some retard like you personifies the millennials.

I know it's easier to pretend every single one of them is just like the text message addicted whore who stood you up at the bar, chad. I guess pretending they're note real people makes it easier to dismiss the issues that they have. Whether you think so or not, the inevitable bubble burst will reach the great white north.

Start by blaming the media, female run public schools, and the older generation for propagandizing college degrees. You can't make rational decisions if you've been irrationally educated.

If you remove exchange and foreign students, you remove a shitton of money that unis get. Foreigners pay way more than any local student. If anything, your suggestion will ensure a stark raise in college fees for every american.

What do you do lol? Manage a Chipotle? Yeah lots of room to grow there buddy

why did you choose to pay so much money for something intangible?

This guy gets it.

This. More people go to a school that they feel like is best for them instead of looking more at the cost and what they are paying for. Do what I did, community college for two-years (which allows guarantee transfer to a four-year in-state school) and transfer while staying at home to reduce cost. Then if you want the college experiences, make friends on campus to crash at their place for the weekend.

It's not debt when there is no collateral and they can't jail you for not paying it. What are they going to do? Force me to make money?

how do you now that? i mean i'm all for it but what makes you think that anything these days other than probably a doctor is finding jobs right out of school?

Why are you asking me this when you were just attempting to rationalize it?

>>problem is big
>>therefore not my fault

at what point are people responsible for their own actions in your world

Compulsory Military Service that will cover 50% of the costs?

Also make the faggots work. Clean the streets, public service and shit. Get paid garbage, but it covers a percentage of your school costs.

Making the minimum wage $40 an hour. I don't forsee any problems.

It's only 5 figures and you have your entire childhood to earn it. Even layabouts should earn 10-20k before college.

Wait for them to default. The bubble will pop and colleges will have to adjust accordingly by laying off bureaucracy.

Getting Job and Save money for Studies and not be a fucking idiot and take a loan.

Before:
> College fairly cheap (4 year degree - $10,000)
> Loans from private institutions (worthless degree - no loan)

Government steps in
> Loans for all!
> Worthless degrees skyrocket
> College costs shoot up 300-400%

Solutions are obvious

Also this.

When the next big war starts, tell them they can get debt forgiveness if they enlist.

Or - when China comes collecting on its debt, sell them the federal government's biggest asset - all those student loans, and then leave those Millenials to the tender mercies of the Chinese as they extract their pound of flesh from them.

One way or another all the bad debts will get written off though. And make no mistake, these student debts are mostly bad.

Actually, yes. Boomers are responsible for all the horrible legislation that created the student debt crisis.

When they are no longer being deliberately manipulated and lied to. Any other brilliant questions?

If so many people stopped taking huge loans to invest in English degrees then the colleges would be forced to lower the price after a few years until it becomes a decent investment.

The reason why they're charging so much is because people are retarded enough to pay that much.

They do contribute, by paying lots of money when they study.
The simple fact is there are not enough jobs for degree holders that make the degree a financially sound decision.
However to break out of debt you basically need a degree to earn enough money in the first place.
The system is too competitive and predatory and overall creates a net loss

You can't default on student loans, but you can just not pay them without penalty if you fill out some form periodically.

I know right, how dare people try to move up in life. What assholes man.

There is exactly zero chance that all the student debt will get paid off. Cost of everything is going up and wages are stagnant. Not nearly enough "good" jobs exist anymore.

Don't be a nigger and take on debt you can't afford to service.

stop teaching kids from childbirth that if they don't go to college right after highschool, they're failures.

For the moment. Which is subject to political volatility.

yea i earned around $12k from 15-18yo and it went to living expenses for the first two years of school. (my parents arent rich and cant support me). i also worked 25hrs/wk during school and full time in the summer. wasnt nearly enough.

im thankful i have good degrees, but it wouldve been nice to not have outrageous tuition due to an arms race in seeing how many overpriced buildings my school could put up.

I am a groundhand/driver in an electrician's union. Right now I work on freeway street lighting, and I plan on taking up an apprenticeship this year.

This is an idiotic prediction.

Without foreigners clogging up seats, universities will have to fight to attract domestic students, meaning they will have to lower their fees.

Because I took a loan to study in the UK, worked hard, graduated with an upper second class degree and literally had a job lined up straight after graduating from one of the places I interned at.

>Mfe ivy league schools are completely worthless and you can learn all the same shit with better quality in any other school.
>And it's cheaper.
>Ivy schools are now pushing SJW shit even harder than normie schools.

fucking kek. I love seeing all those idiots suffer and go in to debt while I graduate in 4 years and get a well paying job in the same field they want.

Or just get a high SAT score and get a full ride at a top 15 university.

Because having that something intangible is an expected standard if you want to get anywhere in life. Surprise surprise the world isn't the same as it was in boomer haydays.

>people blaming everyone who went to college for having loans
Are you people actually fucking stupid? All these kids in college right now racking up +50k in student loan debt have been told LITERALLY THEIR - E N T I R E - lives that unless they GO TO COLLEGE AND GET A DEGREE they will ONLY EVER WORK AT MCDONALDS. Coached from DAY ONE KINDERGARTEN that COLLEGE IS THE END GOAL OR ELSE YOURE A FUCKING MINWAGE SLAVE LOSER. You will have the WORST LIFE IMAGINABLE now TAKE OUT A LOAN GOYIM OR ELSE THATLL HAPPEN TO YOU.

And their parents usher them along the entire way, shoving them into college clueless. I didnt know for 3 years after graduating highschool what jobs people did that didnt require a college degree and werent minimum wage. I knew they exists, but how do you find them? Eventually I had the choice of trade school or IT, and IT offered to pay me immediately.

My GF is taking out 22k a year in student loans for a psychology degree. She says she'd drop out but she'd feel too ashamed of herself for the rest of her life since this is the expectation that everyone she's ever known has for her, and that if she knew at her graduation ceremony what she knows now she would have stopped it then.

Fuck all of you who blame millenials for being "too naive"

£60000 sterling is probably in the six-figure US dollar region...

There's no 'problem' with a bubble that's protected up and down from popping.

Expect this if it ever does.

good job - you had a supportive family and a family that helped pay for your tuition. not impressive and not a good argument

It's not necessary in order to get anywhere in life. This is a fact. Millennials believing it is causes this "problem".

Well fuck m8, I'm sure you'll get paid it off in no time.

Do people who view the student debt as something absolutely evil, even realise that education actually costs money? You have to pay for lecturers, equipment, any other miscellaneous maintenance (book upkeep for example). Sure the whole price might be slightly overestimated, but I doubt that the revised version would be that much less from what we have now. It's your choice to go to university after all, nobody is forcing you to pick shitty degrees. Also what these fags said.