Can someone here recommend me a good book about stoicism...

Can someone here recommend me a good book about stoicism? I read something on wikipedia about how it helped to "break racial barriers" and I am already scared of picking up some crap.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikisource.org/wiki/Moral_letters_to_Lucilius
seinfeld.co/library/meditations.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

meditations

by Marcus Aurelius

how does the right part of the stick pass through the green pole?

Shorter than it seems, I assume.

Thanks. Anything from an earlier era? I figured out it would be better to follow a chronological order.

don't go for to early shit because it's mostly a crappy way to explain the mechanical way the universe works. Meditations is the best example of stoicism because it encompasses all the ethics and values from a rulers view-point.
Jewish physics man

also Seneca's Benefits' also some good shit if you're fascinated by early imperial roman history

I would say Seneca is much more hardcore "Stoic" philosopher rather than Aurelius

en.wikisource.org/wiki/Moral_letters_to_Lucilius

Highly recommended reading, I liked it much better than Aurelius' meditations.

The only thing that bothers me that both Seneca and Aurelius were rather "high" status people and probably enjoyed much more luxuries than the poorest of the people of their time, yet they preach nothing can shake them.

Aurelius also literally wrote down meditations high on Opium on his sickbed.

photoshop

Ok, I will read both.

Do you recommend me to start with Seneca or with Aurelius?

Aurelius is a easy read

stoicism is nonsense. It was a result of a society of slaves and masters. If you are a playboy and have some rich billionaire daddy then go right ahead and be a stoic.

Meditations of Marcus Aurelius.

seinfeld.co/library/meditations.pdf

They preached not some way in which they decided to live but they decided ot be stoics because they were masters in a slave society trying to rationalize their superior standing and distance themselves from slaves and the things slaves had to endure.

you saying this is like a leaf saying banning guns reduces crimes.

Why would you want to read a how to live guide written by people living under completely different circumstances. The demands of them will have been different than the demands on you living in contemporary society and thus their ideas are not appropriate to you.

I dont know the state of gun ownership or gun laws in Canada so I dont understand your analogy.

What the fuck are you scared of? I am going to read a couple of books. Chill.

Suit yourself. Meditations is boring as fuck.

i'm referring to the stereotypes associated with the flags. for example
>Sweden: why don't you guys understand that a black guy fucking your wife is a good thing
>Canada: 'Merica is barbaric and their gun laws are a sign of their stupidity that makes them destroy themselves
>Romania: we are not gypsies
>Israel: don't read stoic literature (or anything that has a moral stand-point that could be classified as rightist by today's standards) because it doesn't apply to our current world. Here get some Marx. that's the good shit

Anything by Epictetus. Aurelius is complete pleb tier which is probably why any time you see a "Stoicism" thread on Sup Forums he's the only name that gets mentioned.

Epictius was a slave and is one of the more philosophical stoics. Stoicism is the best.
I used to suffer from major depression for 7 years and when i learnt about stoicism it taught me control over my feelings and thoughts. Its the best.

I read something from Epictetus in the past, "A manual for living", but I don't know what are the veracity of those books. They may as well be just interpretations of modern autors.

I will read meditations. I am not sure if reading Seneca's Benefit's would be of any use for me.

This.

There are two types of stoicism OP. Roman and Greek. Someone else could probably give a better explanation but the Roman stoicism was all about keeping your flow or mood steady. The Greek one seemed to be more about abstaining from politics, luxuries, etc.