When your short film is considered something similar to the early work of another director :)

When your short film is considered something similar to the early work of another director :)
youtu.be/LuKNtL5B3xM
Anyone here an actual director?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/LuKNtL5B3xM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

didn't like it. the tone is inconsistent. the protagonist not talking to the creepy guy is contrived as fuck when she says NONONO a few times. a busy signal for 911? booooooo. couldn't hear the actor's lines at times. which was weird because there was no nat sound. did you mic him?

I guess whatever school you go to is really hard up for projects because you got rewarded for doing the bare fucking minimum.

oh and when they are comparing you to Aronofsky they literally just mean the soundtrack.

From which movie? I mean hell, I won $300 for it toward a film equipment site so...must've been something, and my old high school film teacher told me I should submit it to festivals

It was all filmed on my girlfriends iphone, we didn't want the camera person, aka the other character to have lines, and nah I didn't have a mic on myself

Pi.

Congratulations and all that. I mean, $300 is practically nothing in the grand scheme of things with equipment but it's a start. I just don't think you had a clear vision for what you really wanted. Jumping from first person perspective to that incredibly lame ending was pretty telling. But hey I made total crap too (that I won't link here because I am ashamed) but I never won anything, so there's that.

>filmed with an iphone
You can rent a DSLR for pretty cheap. You really did the bare minimum.

>youtu.be/LuKNtL5B3xM
From a technical standpoint this is absolutely horseshit. Do they actually teach kids how to shoot and light anymore?

I appreciate everyone's honesty. And the tips, why was the ending lame? And the jump was because the character died, I mean I wasn't too sure with what I wanted being that it was a 48 hour film contest and my mom was coming the second of the two days so I actually did this the night before from 10pm-7am shooting and editing (84 takes total)
I worked with what I had, this was all shot and edited in the course of one night
I've only taken one film class in my life, and it was on movies, not cameras or lighting just movies, I'm switching my major from psychology to media communications so don't crush my dreams :^)

>why was the ending lame?
It's nothing but masturbatory filler. You film him slowly trudging up the stairs. You film a closeup of his crazy face. You film him dancing down the hall, You film him laughing and staring at the ukulele.

This tells us nothing about the character we didn't already glean in the first 90 seconds. It is total filler and pads out the movie to a noticeable degree.

I admire you getting the shoot done under your time constraints but efficiency isn't rewarded when the finished product is mediocre. Sorry.

You're right, I can do better, this is just, this is work, this is art, this is what I made.
But now it's what I can build off of, I can brush off the mistakes, learn from them, and get better, I wanna make a movie one day, a real one...if I got that nervous at the screening for the contest I couldn't imagine a festival...

Keep going. Take my criticism as me telling you something I wish I was told when I was starting out.

Aronofsky has a style?

THATS WHAT I MEAN BUT STILL HE MADE BLACK SWAN AND HAD JARED LETO IN ONE OF HIS MOVIE SOOOOO
I wanna keep going, I wanna be great like refn, I feel his pain, not being able to take his ideas and express them, he says in his documentary, he spent 3 years on OGF, and still didn't know what it was about.

Next time, instead of making a genre flick make something that inspires you to feel a sincere emotion, whether it's happiness, sadness, anger, or even boredom. Put yourself into the movie.

That's what I wanted to do, BUT THOSE BASTARDS MADE RULES
No swearing
The genre I picked out of the hat at the kickoff was dark comedy, I explain a lot more in the description of the video too.

>taking a picture of a projection because you happened to suck the least out of all the entries
I get that you're excited, but this will not lead you to a film career. You are years away from being Refn.

>Some shitty school project
>Babbys first contact with people who want to steal their content for their own monetization

THat was my girlfriend lmao, we were proud of what we made
Def

That was shit. Give me my 30 seconds back.

If you're setting out to
>make art
you've already failed.
Create what interests you and let others decide if it's worthy on the moniker "art".
Regardless, keep going.

Appreciate the support user