It's a "Body Types" character redesign

> It's a "Body Types" character redesign

Yeah I've always hated those.

Well, I mean... Look at this, good character design it's not. You need something more than just what weapons they're wearing.

>The Redesign is a rehash of the Old Design with some accesories.

Counterpoint.

I'm not a big fan of those stylings, and Raph's way too huge, but... on the whole I don't think the body types element here is conceptually bad.
"Body type redesigns" are, a lot of the time, necessary if you want decent character design. Far too many classic characters that have near-identical silhouettes that say nothing about them.

Thank you. I was thinking of that specific image but had NO idea how I would go about googling it.

I think the idea of a diverse set of body types in a group can be a good thing; there's lots of different ways for a person to be fit and impressive; they don't all need to fall into the same cookie-cutter mold when there's so many different ways to excel.

hi tumblr

Oh, shush. I'm just saying that having two characters who are toned, fit and muscular who have different heights, different frames and specialize in different areas of performance gives a more interesting visual than having everyone look like a set of clones with different-coloured shirts and hair or whatever.

It's not a bad thing in itself to add to design as a representation of the character's personality, but it's often used as a simple replacement for effort that could be put into characterization.

Things get a bit weird in the case of reboots and redesigns when the bodytypification actually influences the character's personality in a very simplistic and stereotypical way (like "the big one" also becoming "the dumb one")

I like the new TMNT's differentiation.
Something about Donny's tooth gap feels incredibly...right. Plus it's cute.

Cheeks' designs are just so shitty.

Those designs are good.

I'm quite glad pic related escaped this fate; you can see the basic tough/nerdy/other-one trichotomy (usually a stepping stone towards BT), but at least they're still triplets. Still, Quack Pack isn't a great precedent to justify implementing the nephews as anything different than One character split in three bodies

>Cheeks, we need you to make us some Transformers! You know, Transformers! Those toys that turn into cars and trucks and planes and LOOK LIKEthey can turn into those things!
>SAY NO MORE, BOSS

Literally every one of those girls is ugly as fuck. I wouldn't watch or read anything with those body types

You're proving OP's point, as far as I'm concerned.

The only thing shitty is your taste senpai

2003 got it right though

the turtles have different color tones, and well, having a similar body type makes sense if they share the same training

That knuckles is OBJECTIVELY a better character design though. Strong distinct silhouette, none of those nonsense noodle joints that blends in with the equal thickness dreadlocks

>similar body type makes sense if they share the same training

What about genetic differences?

It would be if it didn't have all the pointless tape everywhere busying it up.

>pointless
It breaks up the design so it's not pure red. It's hardly busy, especially when in motion it's seen as almost pure white and not some ultra-detailed intricate bandage wrap

>Michelangela

aren't they blood brothers tho

>siblings can't have genetic differences

Did you never go to school?

most of the time it's not as apparent as you'd see though

at most you'd get height differences

and again, they're mutated turtles, applying "human-esque" physical differences on them is missing the point

Naw, even puppies in the same litter can have different facial strictures, chest widths, heights etc. Especially if they haven't been inbred.

Me and my siblings all look hardly related at first glance, but if you look closely then you can see the similarities.

It's lazy to make characters look copy pasted with hardly any subtle differences.

but we do, the skin tone is there

and then of course, characterization

like I don't expect any turtle sex for Leatherhead besides Donny

Well, that's assuming that a distinctive silhouette universally makes a design better, and noodle limbs make it likewise worse; it's an "objective" conclusion as long as it's prepackaged with the rules that make it so. That kind of simplification (coupled with extreme contrast view as, again an universally positive thing), is what can make the body type assortment approach go wrong. I'm not saying it does go wrong in this case -I haven't really watched any SB-, but I don't think Knuckles can possibly look that much Sonic-style-y when running, for example

It's an oldfag argumentation, but take Bugs Bunny and Wile E. Coyote: they have a very similar body shape and construction, but they're made completely different characters 75% through characterization alone, without making sacrifices into the versatility of the individual design, or the coherence of the Looney Tunes universe.

Bugs and Wile E still have distinctive silhouettes even though they follow the same body type

That and the size (I think), coloring and so forth makes for the complementary 25-ish percent. I'm trying to find Chuck Jones' quote on the matter, but I'm failing at googlery apparently

Why does a female character HAVE to be attractive? You wouldn't say "I wouldn't watch a cartoon with an ugly male character".

>You wouldn't say "I wouldn't watch a cartoon with an ugly male character".

except I literally already do
nice try tumblr

2011 is also pretty good

But all this shit like different body types or having them all wear different clothing and no longer look uniform, just fuck off.

But Bugs Bunny and Wile E coyote wouldn't necessarily be on the screen at the same time.