I don't think I get Grant Morrison

I've read All Star Superman and WE3 by him, and while I think they're pretty good, I don't get why people put his stuff on the same level as Alan Moore's best. What am I missing? What shoud I read to understand all the praise he gets?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03nt8bk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think he's a one note writer. If you have read one of his books you've read them all.

Animal Man
Doom Patrol
The Invisibles
All Star Superman
We3

If you don't like at least one of those then there's almost no way you'll like his work.

Read other things he wrote, not just comics. The guy has this vision for the world that's pretty inspiring, and he shoves all the enthusiasm for these thoughts and ideas in the things he writes. He's all about metaphors and symbolism, which can be fun pick out of the pages.

But if that pseudo-spiritual thing doesn't appeal to you, there's very little appeal in a Morrison book.

Well, I like ASS e WE3, but it wasn't mindblowing like when I read, say, Watchmen and Sandman. And that's how I see people treating his work.
I'm interested in that. Where should I begin?

Alan moore is the better writter.
Morrison is the best CAPE writter, no one compares to himm amd morrison plays with the rules of comics and meta stuff better than moore. Moore in general aside from political stuff is just an absolute beast of storytelling, while morrison does "crazy shit".

To get to the point Moore is Led Zeppelin, while Morrison is Voivod playing a Pink Floyd Cover.

I don0t know if this makes sense for non-canadians, i'm drunk good night

All star superman and we3 are some of his most strait forward books. He's known more for weird meta physical stuff like doom patrol the invisibles and the DC multiverse stuff

The Multiversity collection has plenty of his rants and thoughts in it, there's a book called Pop Magick that describes his views on a couple of topics like symbols and megabrands and you can google for interviews with him.

I think he lacks originality. He's just rewriting what Aleister Crowley, Michael Moorcock and Robert Anton Wilson have written.

He pretty much rewrote the book on Batman before they rebooted the universe. Which always makes me laugh. He also did a lot to x men

To me, it was his Bat Epic. I've been reading Batman since childhood and I have never found a take I liked more. He incorporates so much of the character's history, and I love that he has a humanist approach to Batman, where he is an inspiriational and idealistic figure and not a doomed or cursed one.
But I mostly prefer him to Moore because I like his sense of humor. I love Watchmen and From Hell, but Morrison's stuff actually makes me laugh, while also making me think.
It's more of a preference though, I don't know if I would call him better. I don't know if you have to, since they are both incredibly talented writers.

Glad they gave him the reigns on Heavy Metal, I think it's a perfect fit for him.

He's really not that much like Moorcock

RAW yes

Morrison is just a guy that has a really big hard on for Golden Age and early Silver Age stories. And with that he tends to have that weirdness in his stories. But with that he tends to make too many references to those comics at a cost to the story at times. You either see him as someone with a love for the older comics and want others to love it too or see him as someone that always tries to swing his comic cock around to show how much he knows.

He's much like RAW, yes. But a lesser version, I would say. With RAW you get the feeling that he actually did all his research instead of reading summaries and has a multitude of viewpoints to offer on science in general, consciousness, conspiracy and occultism.

Morrison is cool too, but I think he is a tad too lazy and not analytical enough. He draws on his interesting experiments he had with consciousness, but, in contrast to RAW, does not try to expand on them anymore.

I want to see Morrison write a video game or a comic book adaptation of a video game. I want to see what he could do with Devil May Cry or Metroid. Especially the latter.

a Voivod reference… cool

I like the way he builds plots into engaging if not necessarily complex puzzles using allusion and metaphor.
W R I T I N G

Aztek
JLA
His year on Flash with Millar
Seven Soldiers
Batgod
Final Crisis
Multiversity

His JLA was still my favorite of the gimmicky team titles for its straightforward spectacle and cohesiveness. A bunch of his runs on ongoing series stand out simply for being so carefully structured regardless of how wacky the specifics might be.

>The Multiversity collection

As in, written in the comics? or an specific section of rants and ideas? Last time I checked it only had a bunch of sketches, variants and annotations on the map of the multiverse.

>Morrison is the best CAPE writter
When will this meme stop? Supreme did Morrison's whole "Hypertime" and "silver age was the best" schtick much better than Morrison, and it was a better Superman story than anything Morrison ever wrote. He even did the pastiche of the Flash "dont read this issue" story 15 years before Morrison did.

Are you a fellow quebecfriend user ?

t. Alan Moore

Almost a good comparison, but Moore didn't copy his work from other more talented people.

I've read all of these and only liked We3 (mostly because of Quitely) and people STILL insist that I should read X or Y and how they'll magically make me start liking him.

Why are Morrison fans the Jehovah's Witnesses of comics?

Yes he did.

Because you seriously have shit taste.

It's a perfectly valid opinion, I myself think Mrrson hamstrings himself by obfuscating his writing. There's complexity in V for Vendetta, but Moore is brutally direct throughout and i's just fantastic.
Note that while I enjoy Promethea I feel it's far from Moore's best, and Big Dave remains one of Morrison's better works precisely because he doesn't piss about.

Ever heard of stereotypes exist for a reason? I don't like using "you just don't get it" or "you're just being a contrarian" as an argument againnst morrison detractors, but I'm pretty sure that his hatebase started out because of those reasons, and that nowadays a significant number of them really hate him for those reasons. Not saying it is your case, oc. Naturally, his fans would get defensive, that's a reason why they may feel preachy at times.

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03nt8bk

Seven Soldiers is real good.