What would happen if Marvel decided to dissolve their entire comic line...

What would happen if Marvel decided to dissolve their entire comic line, selling pretty much everything to Disney and just focused on making money off of the movies and brand character merchandise?

Would the industry be better or worse?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warheads_(comics)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If it means less cape comics, then Sup Forums would probably be ok with it

>15 year old discovers hypotheticals

I'm willing to bet that Disney will eventually have Marvel stop making most superhero comics and just make more Star Wars and movie tie-in comics.

/thread

More than likely we'd get less Capeshit in comics except for DC and a couple other companies but there would be a lot more Capeshit in TV and movies than they are now.

/marvel general/?

This seemed like the best thread for it anyhow: Do anyone remember a series back in the 90s, set in the future where AIM is apparently a huge legit corporation. It sends groups of soldiers on dimension/time jumps just to find valuable crap. One of the recurring characters was a psychic or magic girl.

Anyone remember the name of this shit?

Yes, it actually resulted in the mutant Sunspot purchasing all the shares of AIM legitimately, rebranding them as Avengers Ideas Mechanics, and now he uses their resources and his own New Avengers to do crazy shit like fight a gigantic patriotic Godzilla with a jaeger.

They would lose the trademark on most of their characters and properties, cause a lot of their characters to enter the public domain, and generally be completely fucked.

Marvel is an IP farm first and foremost.

Also Civil War was Marvel Entertainment's last movie. All post-Civil War movies are being made by Disney proper.

>a series back in the 90s
What you're thinking of is Hickvengers and Ewing's New Avengers, the former being a series back in the last year and the former being a series back in the right now.

>Also Civil War was Marvel Entertainment's last movie. All post-Civil War movies are being made by Disney proper.

Uh.. no the movies are still being produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Disney

>are still being produced by Marvel Studios
Correct, and Marvel Studios is no longer part of Marvel Entertainment.

Nope, what I'm thinking is old af, and it wasn't a cape comic. The protagonists were just ordinary human soldiers/mercenaries in AIM's employ that went out on fuckups in the multidimensions. I thiiink the comic was called "[whatever] dogs" or something along those lines?

The centerpiece of the group was this witch lady that was like their scanner for whatever place they showed up in, and had her face painted white with black rectangles round the mouth and eyes.

Iirc the series was published on its own, and came out in ~20 issues. There might have been some UK connection to it, that the HQ was set in britain or somesuch, but I don't remember.

Can't find a mention of it anywhere.

The comic industry would die. The biggest company in the market leaving would collapse a lot of comic stores. Dead industry

Yeah, I was just pointing out to that you were clearly talking about a different comic.

I keep wanting to say Strikeforce Morituri, but I know that's not actually it since AIM wasn't involved with that at all. Still, Strikeforce Morituri is pretty awesome.

>Correct, and Marvel Studios is no longer part of Marvel Entertainment.

True but Kevin Feige is still the president of Marvel Studios. So same beast different boss Feige and his crew have even more control now that they aren't under Perlmutter. But yea you weren't wrong

You guys are idiots if you think Marvel going would lead to a revolution in comics. If comics sell low now, removing the largest publisher would demolish all LCS, and the industry would die. Would be the same if DC closed too.

I actually found it, after looking through old papyruses from 1994, it was Warheads.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warheads_(comics)

From what I recall of the early issues it was a pretty cool comic, at the time. Think the crew in Aliens, but with power armours and psychic powers, going toe to toe with occult shit in dimensions man wasn't meant to know. I think the quality went downhill fast after the first few issues though.

Disney already ultimately owns the comic books, OP. They're not all rolled into one company for good reason, but it's nothing to do with branding.

I would expect they make a significant chunk of their non-movie money from brand merchandise as it is; Spider-Man is likely in the $200m-annual-sales bracket (haven't checked in some years, sorry), I would guess Iron Man as well; the entire comic book market is still worth less than a billion annually, so just between those two they're likely making 50% of their annual revenues. Of course dropping 50% of your revenue stream is stupid, so they won't do that; but they might change it to publish something else (as last happened with the shift to X-Men in the 90s, and before that with the shift to exclusively superhero comics in the 60s) and diversify their income streams, which is good business.

Whether that would be better or worse is anybody's guess, and probably depends on your subjective opinions more than anything.

The studio revenues, it has to be said, utterly dwarf the print and merchandise revenues, even if you include movie merchandise. It's not just the big money from a new gross (which doesn't really reach the studio but should be termed revenue, rather than profit, which is a whole other order of thing); there's the back catalog sales of home media, the sales of tv rights, and so on - in most studios these account for 60% of annual revenues, so you can just take whatever they average for their grosses over the last 8 years and add 120% of that average on top of itself to get their revenue this year. It's a good guess, but it's a guess.

If Marvel Comics were to just roll up tomorrow - you'd see a loss of 40% of sales for most LCS. They're small businesses for the most part - that would kill the bulk of them, which would hit the smaller publishers hard as well because they'd then have no outlets. DC would survive, but probably cull its line back hard for the same reason.

The artist of the first issues had such an awesome style, and was what made it work. Very gritty and 'Dark Horse' to the clean Marvel aesthethic that was in vogue at the time.

Ah, yeah, I was actually about to say that. After you said "UK" it made me realise you were probably talking about MysTech, not AIM.

Yeah, apparently. Never heard of Mys-tech in any other context so hard to remember... Tnx tho!

Good. I want the industry to die