Charles de Gaulle

What is Sup Forums's opinion of this man?

Why did the British and Americans elevate an obscure, unelected French army officer to the status of national leader? Why did he hate the Anglos for doing so much for him and liberating his country?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/4padm4/why_did_charles_de_gaulle_veto_the_uks_entrance/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

VIVE SALAN
OAS VAINCRA

The frogniggers got invaded lmao.

pic related was based.

Oh boy, where the fuck do I even begin?

>Why did the British and Americans elevate an obscure, unelected French army officer to the status of national leader?
They didn't, you moron. In fact, especially the Americans tried to replace him. The problem was that both the Free French and the Forces of the Interior were deeply loyal to him. And then there's the fact that he was called out of retirement to solve the Fourth Republic's crisis.

>Why did he hate the Anglos for doing so much for him and liberating his country?
He didn't, you mouthbreathing piece of shit. Just look up... well, fucking ANYTHING relating to his relationship to Kennedy and Nixon. What you don't know, because you're a imbecile who gets his historical education from memes, is that De Gaulle's France was the only major European power that supported America during the Cuban Crisis (believing that America had just as much a right to assert its independence in North America as France in Europe) where other major European leaders preached de-escalation. An interesting anecdote from that era:
>During the October crisis, Sorenson writes, JFK dispatched former Secretary of State Dean Acheson to show the CIA's surveillance photos of the Cuban missiles to French President Charles de Gaulle. I don't need to see pictures of the weapons of mass destruction, de Gaulle replied: "The word of the president of the United States is good enough for me."

Do those sound like the words of someone who hates Americans, you unfortunate microcephaly patient? Next time, at least browse through a wikipedia page before making another thread.

>refuses to be the anglo's dog
>HUUUURRRRR WHY DOZ HE HAYTTES ANGLOOZZ FUGG HIMMMM

A jumped up tosser

putain, basé

I had never heard his name before Sup Forums and even now all I know is he had something to do with quebec and france's carrier is named after him.

Isn't he the guy that started the myth about the French Resistance being a widespread thing in Vichy France instead of being limited to Gommies and Jews?

>le resistants were the bad guys meme
My favourite

>Why did the British and Americans elevate an obscure, unelected French army officer to the status of national leader?
They didn't. De Gaulle elevated himself with early British assistance.
While the British policy towards the Free French could be described as schizophrenic the US policy was highly negative all the way until 1945. Roosevelt wanted France occupied and essentially treated as a defeated enemy country, with a provisional allied military government and tried to install yes-men in place of de Gaulle on multiple occasions.
>Why did he hate the Anglos for doing so much for him and liberating his country?
He wanted his country to remain independent, not become America's bitch like the UK and West Germany.

The dude is not a saint obviously, he had a VERY abrasive personality but could turn on the charm when necessary. He was obsessed with his idealized form of France (conservative and catholic, but not excessively right-wing, relevant on the world stage) and did all he could to achieve that goal. His patriotism would seem like dickish backstabbing to outside observers, though.

FUCK DE'GAUL

t. Sup Forums
French resistance was incredibly widespread

We was butthurt towards us.

LOBSTER ARE FISH, THEY LEAP OFF OF THE SEAFLOOR

That doesn't fit his character at all, though. Should've made her a tall and stiff amazon.

Yes. Now it seems people caught up on reality but it took time to destroy this myth. He wanted to give legitimacy to his republic.
In reality the resistance was very small and lame and almost everyone turned to Pétain

One of the memest moments of Latin America.

t. Daughter of one of these whores

Because, like all French, he was the descendant of chain-smoking acrobats and didn't know a thing about honor or class.

can't tell if this kind of post is serious

Cool guy that truly supported a strong and independent Europe.
Cool story: He actually sold us the technology to produce enriched uranium as he supported a nuclear Spain as the rest of Europe had America's dick way to deep for his taste. Specially after Britain decided to rwly on America for their nuclear program.

>De Gaulle's France was the only major European power that supported America during the Cuban Crisis

More fool him then. The US created the crisis by basing missiles in Turkey. The USSR was merely evening things. When they withdrew from Cuba America quietly withdrew its missiles from Turkey.

The "French Resistance" was mostly Spanish republicans exiled to France after the Spanish Civil War. Suddenly after D-Day every Frenchman became a Resistance hero.

I know he wanted to annex Northwestern Italy after WW2, so I think he is kind of a cunt

His treatment of us with the EEC was tasteless desu
I would be lying if I said I'm not a little bitter about it

reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/4padm4/why_did_charles_de_gaulle_veto_the_uks_entrance/

What the fuck? They look like men in drag. Those poor Germans.

He was right about Britain in Europe though.

Still a cunt for being butthurt about us feeding, funding and equipping him when his country was occupied though. As for that "Quebec libre" speech like it was under occupation... cunt.

I know very little about DeGaulle. But just from the name and his features, I always thought him an insipid, boring man who got himself a cushy job and got comfortable.

He was literally right though. See: Brexit.

No, he wasn't right about anything. People abroad can't really understand this country, Britain was very enthusiastic about Europe and being European for a long time
It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. He cast us outside then acted like it was all part of this dark conspiracy when we had to find some other way to politically exist

Britain will always bend over towards America rather than Europe if it comes to that. It's been proven time and time again.