Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6eyOFW8UrY0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>know an irrelevant language
>can easily learn 2 other irrelevant languages
Interesting

>Other laguanges are Irrelevant cause I can't to learn them

Irrelevant? You'll have to learn it in some years, Pedro

which ones? 2 other latin american dialects? or portuguese and french?

All languages should be banned and a new universal language like esperanto should replace them. The world is wasting and loosing millons of dollar becaus of the lack of a single universal language.

Portuguese, Spanish, French and Italian are all mutually intelligible (in writing)

Portuguese, italian and 1/2 of french

cute

don't forget chilean

only if you're REALLY into romance langs and some kind of nerd. otherwise they're not really mutually intelligible.

>italian
why?

>Be a romance laguange speaking
>Learn norwegian
>Understand like 5 languages

It almost feel like I'm cheating

>be portuguese
>understand spanish
>understand french
>understand italian
>understan mexican
>understand argentinian
>understand chilean
>understand peruvian
>understand brazillian
>understand basque
>understand romanian
>understand galician
>understand andorrean
>understand bolivian
>understand venezuelan
>understand colobian
>understand gyuanese french
>understand peruvian
>understand paraguayan
>understand uruguayan
>understand vaticanian

It's like the portuguese are meant to communicate with and unite the whole world.

Our accent has a lot of italian influence

Can Italians understand spanish speaker?

>only know my native language
>can understand every post ITT

>Be a romance laguange speaking
>It almost feel like I'm cheating
Don't worry, you're only capable of understanding, not producing.

You can get some italian but I wouldn't call it mutually intelligible.
French? Nah.. You have to study a little bit but way easier for us than for non-romance speakers.

>basque
hmm

>be a C language native
>understand like 25 languages more without even trying
feels good

the sad thing is that I'm an English teacher, when I realized the mistake it was already too late

what about Romanian?

indeed

lel

youtube.com/watch?v=6eyOFW8UrY0

Didn't understand shit... maybe a word or two

>tfw born and raised here with Spanish as mother tongue
>tfw learned Japanese on top of that
Feels good man.

>speak english
>recognize that dutch sometimes sounds like british people speaking gibberish

Romanian sounds alien to me. Even their writting language has too much slavic influence.

>english
>linguistic germanic-romance rape baby
>understands everything

not surprised to be honest

>be romance language learned speaker
>understand more languages with ease

still pretty nice
plus I get easy english and dutch as well

Romanian sounds like a slavic language mixed with Italian. I can't understand shit even when it's written. It's like Dracula's language.

>speak portuguese
>can naturally understand spanish
>can learn italian and french in like 2 months
Few good.

Romanian sounds like a very drunk Portuguese doing a Russian impression, completely unintelligible

no wonder, it's from a completely different branch of romance. unintelligible for most speakers like sardinian.

Most central and southern Italian languages are sometimes included as Eastern Romance but its a hotly debated topic

>There are people who UNIRONICALLY only know only 1 language

huh? can you provide some sources/docs for that? i know that sicilian italian is problematic when its about classification but the others...?

Only Americans don't

>understand spanish
>understand italian
>understand french
Thank god I was born in a Romantic country

MUH

you are fucking deluded if you think the romance languages are irrelevant

you forget meme languages like galicia or catalan

Galician is literally Portuguese and no one can convince me otherwise.

Portuguese is literally Galician*

to be frank, only spanish and french are relevant and both are geographically restricted to certain areas and are not globally relevant like english

Galician is literally Astur-Leonese*

Uruguay is the best poster. If you disagree with that you can go fuck yourself.

I can understand like 80% of written italian and like 40% of spoken (even more if the person speaks slowly)
never took any classes.

less than french and spanish. portuguese is only relevant in portugal (and some parts of northeastern spain, where galician is spoken, which is mutually intelligible), brazil, some parts of africa as a secondary language, losing importance.

1.English
2.Spanish
3.Chinese
4.Arabic
5.French
6.Rusian
7.Japanese
8.Portuguese
9.German
10.Hindi

Fight me

>3.Chinese
>he fell for the millions of speakers = important language meme
>he fell for the China domination by 2020 meme

>English
>Spanish
>French
>Russian
>Arabic
>Portuguese
>??? maybe Chinese
>?? maybe German

chinese and japanese are only regionally relevant, even though there are millions of speakers. same for russia, but there are lots of russian speakers in former ussr cunts. german is relevant in some mid-european cunts only

number of speakers doesn't equal relevance

i'd like to add
>Swahili
>Persian
right before Chinese, almost forgot them

>Number of speakers and GDP isn't relevant when evaluating a language importance
>you
>chinese and japanese are only regionally relevant, even though there are millions of speakers
Chinese is spoken in China,Singapore, Taiwan, Malasya, and other minor countries.
And japan has the world third greatest economy and is the 9th most populous country it doesn't matter if it's stuck in one single place.

>Swahili
>Persian
You're a territorial coverage over anything else kind of guy.I see.

>Chinese is spoken in China,Singapore, Taiwan, Malasya, and other minor countries.
you see, it's restricted to a few countries in south east asia. even though, "chinese" as such doesn't exist just like "german", as they're scattered in many dialects, partially unintelligible.

>And japan has the world third greatest economy and is the 9th most populous country it doesn't matter if it's stuck in one single place.

it actually does as we judge languages by anything but economic relevance of their offspring countries. if we would do that, german would be on place 3 right after english and spanish, but in reality it's only spoken in a few countries in mid europe and thus it's internationally more or less irrelevant.

>You're a territorial coverage over anything else kind of guy.I see.
aren't we talking about languages and their influence here?

>you see, it's restricted to a few countries in south east asia. even though, "chinese" as such doesn't exist just like "german", as they're scattered in many dialects, partially unintelligible.
I should have specified it as mandarim to avoid this confusion.And yes chinese (mandarin) is an official taught language all the aforementioned those countries.

>it actually does as we judge languages by anything but economic relevance of their offspring countries. if we would do that, german would be on place 3 right after english and spanish, but in reality it's only spoken in a few countries in mid europe and thus it's internationally more or less irrelevant.
Reconsidering it I would put german higher but not at number 3.
>aren't we talking about languages and their influence here?
Territorial coverage is different from influence.
Nobody knows about swahili aside from lion king or a Civ game theme song and people outside of the middle east aren't able to differentiate persian from arabic.
On the other hand multiple eletronics, financial and cultural interests come from Japan making it a recognizable country from anywhere on the globe.
I hope you're still there
Japanese is also one of the most learned laguage by foreigners considering it harsh difficulty.

oops, almost forgot this thread

got a point, even though there's always a problem with high languages like mandarin. they're basically taught in almost every part of a country but local varieties persist and are mostly prefered over the high language. real numbers of such a lang like "chinese" or "mandarin" are speculative and moreover, restricted to northern china only. well, maybe additionally singapore and some minor regions in taiwan, which is basically irrelevant.

>Reconsidering it I would put german higher but not at number 3.
i see you get what i mean. even though german (high german) is spoken by around 100 million people in mid europe, it's not well known in other parts of the world, at best as a secondary lang, taught in schools.

>On the other hand multiple eletronics, financial and cultural interests come from Japan making it a recognizable country from anywhere on the globe.
sure, that's correct but completely unrelated to their lang and its influence.

>Japanese is also one of the most learned laguage by foreigners considering it harsh difficulty.

says who? internal Sup Forums statistics, counting autistic weebs attempting to learn some japanese in order to watch animes without subtitles?

really, even russian is more popular in real world and it's restricted to a certain area, i.e. former soviet union.

>Territorial coverage is different from influence.
never doubted that

>sadly I wasn't able to find the global rankings

>i see you get what i mean. even though german (high german) is spoken by around 100 million people in mid europe, it's not well known in other parts of the world, at best as a secondary lang, taught in schools.
I actually reconsidered my point because you mentioned all those countries I didin't knew about.
>never doubted that
Still,you give too much credit to this one single factor

'no'
Aucune chance que tu me comprennes, même à l'écrit

>Still,you give too much credit to this one single factor
huh, i don't think so. or do you refer to persian and swahili i meantioned earlier?
if so... alrighty, it was a more or less spontaneous decision, thinking of tajikistan, iran, afghanistan, some parts of india (persian and its dialects) and parts of southeastern africa, in one country as official language only (guess so, didnt check), swahili.

by meantioning them i only wanted to point out that there are still other languages around which are spoken in more than one country and have a large influence on a big region, worth mentioning and being a contrast to languages with much more speakers like chinese/mandarin, restricted to a relatively small region.

whatever, it was nice having this productive discussion with you. gotta go to bed now, it's late here in mid europe.

Scritto si capisce

>whatever, it was nice having this productive discussion with you.
The same for you.It's so hard to partake in rational discussions on this site.
Have a good night.

J'adore l'Italie ! J'espère que nous pouvons être amis !