Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

7 Soldiers

The Invisibles

Red Son

The Filth

But the ending is the worst part user.

Invisibles, followed by Batman RIP

Flex Mentallo

I'm reading SuperGods, it's pretty interesting book thus far.

Probably Invisibles, but Seven Soldiers is my personal favourite.
I just finished that. It was something else all right.
Somebody on Sup Forums once told me that it was supposed to be a Nick Fury story. It makes a terrible kind of sense.

Well, he has exactly two stories he tells over and over, both with the same tone of voice, so pick one, I guess. Inb4 angry Morrisonfags.

[Unintelligible Scottish Insults]

WHO CHANGES THE TIRES GRANT?!

It went through a few reworks. Morrison wanted to write a more authoritarian story after finishing The Invisibles and wanted to write the other side of that coin.

He was at Marvel at the time and pitched it as a Nick Fury story, didn't fly, so rewrote it into what it became for Vertigo.

ALFRED DOES, YE WHEE BLAGGARD! YEWS YER BLOODY IMA*garbled* YEH SODOMITE!

Seaguy

when this thread gets to 52 posts

shit is gonna happen

All-Star Superman.

Which is more like his only good work.

drugs.

or Animal Man and Doom Patrol

>he did lots of drugs

St. Swithin's Day
A melancholy insight into the mind of a broken young man who wants to be important.
By murdering a politician.
And then dying.

There we go.

He wrote Doom Patrol sober. The Invisibles on the other hand was all on drugs.

No one realizes he wrote JLA tripping balls.

magic mushrooms, if I remember the interview right.

Shocked and surprised it took this long for it to be said.

Comes real close

We3
;_;

I like his ASS

St. Swithins day or Zenith, over half of his work is a shittier derivative of Zenith desu

Super Gods is interesting but to be totally honest, I'd prefer it been straightforward his take on sequential art versus partial autobiography. I wouldn't object to his desire to contextualize things with personal history (the stuff about anti-war and nuclear subs, etc. was pertinent, for example) but I didn't really expect so much personal history that I started skimming the book.

We3

rest is something of meh...Even ASS is good, but not that great

Nameless was a mess

Animal Man

I would make a good graphic novel if he took it further. The Rock of Eternity from science and the impossible day were for more interesting than Black Sivana, for example (although to be fair, that was predictable).

zenith
followed by doom patrol, invisibles and the filth

Only justice League, rest is pretty redundant meta bs

>
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious House was written sober as well, although he did experiment a lot with sleep deprivation and stuff like that.

This. I hadn't read any Morrison at the time, and I was expecting it to be a treatise about the concept and history of superheroes. What a disorienting experience. At least it introduced me to a lot of brilliant works.

Flex Mentallo, Animal Man, Doom Patrol.

7 Soldiers is under-rated. It works really well as a collection of individual stories, and the overall narrative you can read backwards and forwards, or in parts - the one thing that sequential art has over other mediums.

While you might re-read favorite passages, chapters, etc., or re-watch particular scenes, sequential art has it's own unique qualities that are unmatched and which Morrison fully takes advantage of here. It also contributes in significant ways to the over-all narrative at DC.

We3 is very distinctive and a situation where the art is incredible synchronized with the word and themes, but it exists in it's own world, it doesn't really add to any particular narrative that necessarily already exists (except for say certain Big Idea Themes, such as technology being abused or misused, giving voice to the voiceless, etc., etc.) that exist independent of We3, and while they are added to by its existence, no one is really going to specifically pick up on any one thread there, even perhaps Morrison, and take it someplace else.

Flex Mentallo has so many similarities and through threads to other Morrison, it's interesting but it's a case where the art doesn't necessarily always work with every part. I'd put any sub-part of Soldiers as equal to and some (Klarions, for example) as superior for the equivalent page length.

I love All Star Superman to death and probably re-read it more than anything else; it has more emotional weight to me personally and to many others, but obviously it also has it's own connotations for the people with little to no interest in Superman, and they are not going to really look beyond that. Some of the parts are as good as the whole, but others are far superior to the rest. This is its one flaw.

Best is difficult. If Action Comics was original work and no other Superman stories existed before, it would be considered really superior except where it fails for the art.

>If Action Comics was original work and no other Superman stories existed before, it would be considered really superior except where it fails for the art.

When the artist changes during a run I think it ruins the whole run. I know that they do it because the artist can't meet deadlines, but still.

His inevitable suicide

Zenith is GOAT tier.

Doom Patrol

A question.

I thought Morrison had done a comic, an "end of the world" one, the final frame was a scientist who had been telling the story walking into the Thames as a giant 3 faced "god" was in the background, the world having been taken over by fungus.

Anyone know the comic?

Pax Americana

52 confirms

That was Supergod by Ellis

Thanks, wrong writer.

Yup artwork checks out,

That must be a wild ride.

Fun fact: that guy is a pastiche of the beano's Billy The Whizz, the whole universe is post-apocalyptic Beano

not really.

Is his Batman and Robin run good? I was told to go for it since I liked king Grayson so much and wanted more Dick.

>52
Oh no

He grabbed ever short lived English superhero he could and twisted them slightly, which sort of added to the pathos of some of their fates.

And he really, really didnt like Tony Blair.

yes, but you should probably read Black Glove, Batman RIP and Final Crisis first

Personal favorite is Animal Man

But there is variety of writing in Seven Soldiers and Multiversity I simply love love love love love.
I mean if you didn't know it was all one guy, you'd think it was some writing group just working together like 52.
Either artists have a lot of creative input on tone or he just has amazing writing range.

>52

Either Doom Patrol or Seven Soldiers of Victory

#DALE