Is this movie just famous due to the aesthetic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jIstljYkwjg108
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yep

no

partially

Yes. It was original so it was overrated. People who put it in their top 10 are just retards trying to look cool.

Jesus 2049 trailer felt as shit like ghost in the shell 2017
Whats with these studios man.

Kind of.

I think it's mainly famous because it is a reasonably well made movie that was actually really different. The aesthetic does play into it, but it's the entire noire style that sets it apart from its contemporaries. Other movies beat it in terms of pure visuals, dialogue, character, setting etc. but none of them offered the same experience as Blade Runner.

I think, more than anything else, Boade Runner is famous simply because it was so different and offered an experience that you couldn't get anywhere else. That alone can make up for any of its perceived shortcomings, assuming of course you appreciated the noire style that made it so distinct.

What's wrong with having a movie that you think is great in your top 10? I'm not an art critic, I just appreciate movies.

This movie is the definition of kino. Don't be pleb Sup Forums

Yes/no

Sleeper hit on VHS.

You have to imagine going to a video shop, picking this out amongst all the rubbish and watching it relatively unprepared.

I don't suppose millennials get to have experiences like that now.

Am I supposed to think there is something wrong with that?

It's an average movie and there are thousands out there that are much better. Putting it in your top 10 just means you're either trying to look cool or you haven't seen many movies.

Yes, but that's not a bad thing.
Plebs will try to say it's "style over substance", but in art, style IS substance.

Name 5 better movies in the same vein as Blade Runner

or you just like something.
it's okay to like an "average" film.
it's okay to have a different opinion.
fucking hell i don't know why Sup Forums can't get that

I see a lot of words and nothing that backs them up. It would be just as easy to say that it's one of the best movies and not putting it in your top 10 just means that you're ignorant of genius cinema.

What's the point? You won't agree anyway. You're just looking for an argument because my post made you butthurt.

Children of Men is pretty kino

It is. Not really similar to breidurunnah, though.

I'm not the same dude. I understand Blade Runner could be better. I'm genuinely interested.

>1982
Baby's first globalization epic. Ridley Scott is a talented man of course.

youtu.be/jIstljYkwjg108

Dystopian Scifi Thriller in the near future with somewhat grounded tech.

Or are you asking specifically for Noir films set in the future with good aesthetics

Same. I would love a list of movies that are similar, but better.

Loved Children of Men
>are you asking specifically for Noir films set in the future with good aesthetics
Yeah more like that

>dystopian scifi thriller
Guess that's true, although I think it just shows that having the same genre/-s doesn't make movies actually similar. The themes don't match, there's little to no similarities in plot and they couldn't be more different visually, the future worlds themselves are too (almost) nothing alike.

The visuals serve as a medium for its 2deep4u. Tears in rain, unicorns, and helpless tortoises. Time to not die and reboot sequel.

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

We are all a hivemind and like the same things. Thanks for clearing that up

I saw it as a first run back in the 80's that way. I went with a friend who was into sci-fi and I wasn't really impressed, but it seems to get better with every viewing.

Also- keep in mind the other movies in it's class- not as many back then.

I went to see the Director's Cut in the theater recently and it was amazing- seeing it again on the big screen 34 years later. It really held up.

That's like asking if Nabokov is famous just for his prose. It's perfectly reasonable to love a piece of art on purely aesthetic grounds. Some media IS purely aesthetic, like music.

What's wrong with that?

This kind of setting is my favorite and is the main reason I rewatch it.

(THERE ARE NONE)

scifi for people who can't read good

Yeah I saw The Final Cut in the cinema 2 years ago and it was one experience I won't forget. As soon as the opening shot here and Vangelis' chimes came over the sound system it was like watching the film for the first time again.