Why was fire considered and element?

Why was fire considered and element?
Isn't it more acurate to say it's a chemical reaction?
You can put water/air/earth in a container in it stays like that but not fire...

So why?

ITT: post Avatar, I guess...

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_element
youtube.com/watch?v=1P_BlUY2eF4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You might be surprised to find out, that the four elements as presented in Avatar is actually a cliche. Everything in Avatar is derived from a cliche, put in for cliche's sake.

Old timey people were retards.

In their defense their attempts to categorize and compare things lead to better understanding down the road even if it was initially misunderstood.

Well sure but the other elements make some kind of sense.
Air is viable because oxygen is common, with water there's hydrogen, earth might be either carbon somehing, but fire...

The people who came up with the element concept also thought that Bad Smells made you sick.

IT'S A CLICHE.

THEY DIDN'T PUT THAT MUCH THOUGHT INTO IT.

alright fine jeeeezz...

Look up Aristotle.

>cliche
>not a myth
?

>Implying
Those aren't elements. Those are molecules. Even oxygen is a Dioxide.

>myth
>not ancient grecian thought
?

Because Fire is better than Water, Air, or Earth.

>ancient greece
>not a myth created by Jewish historians
?

Hi Sup Forums

Would you rather have blood, yellow bile, black bile, and phlegm?

Because Fire ppwers are cool. It will be boring to have Oxigen powers and "combustion" doesn't sound as cool.

>Combustion
>not as cool

You can shoot explosions out of your brain.

That doesn't even make a lick of sense, either as bad bait or as a shitty meme. It's not even mildly clever or chuckle-worthy in the normal Sup Forums sense.

>Air is viable because oxygen is common, with water there's hydrogen, earth might be either carbon somehing, but fire...
Hydrogen and hydrogen dioxide are very, VERY different things. To say water is approximately an element because hydrogen is an element takes a tremendous amount of rounding on your part.
Following on this, Air is mostly nitrogen, not oxygen, and earth mostly comprised of various salt combinations.
Literally none of them can approximated to any single element.

its magic

The elements aren't based on actual 'elements'. The table, and Elements are unrelated.

Yeah but is not as flashy and regal as having control over flames. It's like the power of killing people with your mind. It's insanely OP but boring as fuck.

How did Avatar fuck up something as simple as the four basic elements?

Everyone knows they're Earth, Wind, Fire, and Air.

It's not a cliche, it's ancient Greek philosophy and thought concerning the composition of the cosmos. The four elements are a critical aspect of the basis of the forefather to modern science and rational thought.

>listing air and wind as 2 elements even though it's the same thing

Pretty poor bait user. But just in case you somehow are labouring under the misconception that you're right, you actually aren't.

The ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle proposed that all things in the world are composed of Earth, Wind/Air, Water and Fire, with Aether/Quintessence as a fifth intangible element.

Both fire and lightning generate plasma, the 4th state of matter.

All of the elements have their own inconsistencies.
Water doesn't have an animal bender.
Earth has a dozen different subsets.
Everyone from the Air Nation was an airbender. It's because they tested their kids by throwing them off cliffs.

I find it odd they went with the 4 classic Greek elements instead of the 5 Chinese elements.

So am I the only who thinks that korra and assami didn;t go full lesbo at the end and just went on that trip?

The "classic" elements amounted to earth, fire, air, and water. Which translates into "solid matter", "energy", "gasses", and "liquid matter"

These guys get it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_element
Fucking uneducated faggots.

It's just one example of how the show was incredibly shallow when it comes to appropriating oriental themes.
See: "balance".

didn't get it. He didn't get it at all.

Wow. Threads like these make me realise how poorly educated many people must really be. It's weird to realise that things you believe are common knowledge are perhaps actually not.

because it's based on ancient fairytales and myth from gooklands and not actual science retard

Why not? If listing Wind and Air but not water was a joke then I am missing the humor. If it's a reference to something in particular I'm curious as to what it is, so I can look into it.

youtube.com/watch?v=1P_BlUY2eF4
1:55 for the reference
Enjoy your new waifus

It's a scoobydoo song or something similar, if I recall. But you weren't wrong about the 4 classical elements, just missed a relatively obscure reference.

Because fire is the fourth state of matter.

Look closely at the four elements and you'll see that they also represent the four states of matter:

Earth=Solid
Water=Liquid
Air=Gas
Fire=Plasma

Fire isn't plasma. It can produce plasma, but it usually doesn't.

Pretty much. It's why a giant rock's gravitational pull makes waterbenders stronger and a thing made of ice orbitating the earth makes firebenders stronger.

Ozai, pls

Comets don't orbit planets

Five elements. There's also aether.

You also can't classify it as the others.

Plasma is as close as you'll get. Plus the whole lightning thing.

Sozin's Comet has apparently been returning every 100 years for a long time now, so I'd say its definitely under that planets gravitational influence.

I'd like an Avatar-like show where people bend the modern elements. I guess some of them might be pretty OP though.

>he thinks normal Sup Forums is mildly clever or chuckle-worthy

Plasma thrusters when?

Its always been an element.
The Chinese considered wood and metal elements as well. Dont think they counted air.

fire is the best element

Fullmetal Alchemist, more or less.

Air > Water > Earth >>> Fire

Seikon no qwaser
I warned you.

Why is air considered an element?
Isn't it more accurate to say it is many elements together?
or is it the difference in pressure that is considered "an element" to them?

objectively wrong. Fire (with lightning) can easily defeat water, air and metalbending.

bloodbending can easily be overpowered with force of will according to LoK.

air literally doesn't have anything good to escape lightning

water will just get fucked with lightning

arguably, there is earth, but even then it is much slower than firebending.

cuz is a fucking cartoon?

>Why was fire considered and element?
Because people in that fictional universe could bend it.

airbender was based on classical thought my dude, it's a story. If you want to get scientific on a cartoon show maybe you should ask why they can shoot lightning out their asses because magic doesn't exist in reality.