How big is having a linear-progressing narrative, continuity and character development in an animated series?

How big is having a linear-progressing narrative, continuity and character development in an animated series?

I feel like Bojack gets hailed as way greater than it really is just because it incorporates these story-telling devices at a time when they're rare to come by. In other words, because it's conceptually ambitious rather than polished & well executed.

Bojack lacks the kind of consummate professionalism as say a Futurama, but nobody hails that show as being 'spectacular'.

It's just an adoptation of a regular TV series season format into animation. Nothing huge. It's just that, traditionally, most animated shows have always been aimed at syndication globally. So anyone can just drop in and watch it at any time and feel they haven't missed any major developments.

Bojack just adopts a more traditional storytelling format over aiming for syndication. South Park has aimed for it over the past few seasons by introducing overarching narratives across seasons. It's relatively new in American animation even though Japan has had it for decades now (And even then they used "Filler episodes" on the bigger shows to give a starting point for new viewers in syndication)

i watched it for the sexy cat girl

No one i know have actually watched it.
Everyone i know watch the first 2 episodes and tell me it's shit.

Is the release date for the third season still unknown ?

>Bojack lacks the kind of consummate professionalism as say a Futurama, but nobody hails that show as being 'spectacular'.

They do though, loads of people hail Futurama as being excellent.

>Everyone i know watch the first 2 episodes and tell me it's shit.

Honestly it becomes great after episode 5 i'd say, the first few episodes are mediocre.

Wow, people really miss the point of this show.

Like, I am literally amazed by how much they miss it.

Analogically, you could say they are so off target they will the miss floor if they were aiming at it.

The great thing about Bojack is that is aimed to the people that have no right to complain, on text due to having what many want, and yet absolutely devoid of the slightest satisfaction, or even the ability to enjoy anything at all.

It is a show for people with depression, people that try to stay quiet about themselves, have others complaining about them not seeking help when in need of it, and then being mocked or told to shut up when speaking up.

For people that spend 90% of the day contemplating why they exist, on a practical and on a universal sense.

There is no middle point, comfort zone, or anything like that for the perpetually inadapted.

You just keep trying.

Hopefully it gets easier.

I find everyone who watched it (without this being said to them, so they formed their own opinions) think it's crap for the first 5 episodes but carry on because they're bored or whatever.

And then all of a sudden it becomes a great series because you realise this is what the series was all along, a satirical take on hollywood through the eyes of a washed up actor who repeatedly ruins anything he touches.

The whole point of the show is watching how bad bojack will fuck up when trying to improve his life.

Just like real life.

She is old enough to be your mother

You say that like it's a bad thing.

You say that like it's the worst thing about his attraction to an anthropomorphic cartoon character.

Futurama Seasons 1-4 were hailed as spectacular.

I wanted to like Bojack.
I do not think it is very good.

It's ok.

I want people with shit taste to get better taste. But I accept that some people just genetically have shit taste.

>not liking cougars
Oh come on...

That's what I said.

My answer is just longer.

It's a slow as fuck burner and it just coasts by on the surrealism of "lol animals are humans" for the first few episodes. Then it becomes an absolute trainwreck you can't take your eyes off and you realize the first few episodes of "lol the animal actor is a washed up hack" were setting the stage for the brutality of the final episodes of season 1.

Then Season 2 gets to play around with it, maybe giving some glimmers of hope for a while, then just crushing it completely.

Does getting hooked after the first episode mean I enjoyed the writing or that I'm a degenerate>

These posts convinced me keep on watching Bojack Horseman. The show felt too reddit circlejerk for me at one time.

I remember being shocked at how unfunny the gags in episodes 1-3 are. The show never gets very funny but it at least gets more interesting and watchable.

>nobody hails Futurama as spectacular

you what

Also Bojack isn't spectacular but it's pretty good by live action standards or whatever.

The tongue twisters get me every time for some reason.
>there is nothing the least bit funny about stealing a meal from neal mcbeal the navy seal
>Come on pretty kitty, I need you wit me, fitty fitty

The first half of the first season is pretty crappy.

But it gets alot better after that.

Yeah, I hail Futurama as spectacular. It's really hit or miss but when it hits it hits.

That's exactly how I felt.
Had to force myself to get a few episodes further before getting hooked

>he thinks Futurama is better than Bojack
>he thinks Futurama has a "kind of consummate professionalism"
>he thinks we'll take this shit of an opinion seriously

You should skip to episode 5.

If you unironically use terms like reddit circlejerk for things that you have no real knowledge of, you're probably a huge faggot

What is reddit anymore?
Is it just the boogeyman we assign things we hate to?
I go on here and everyone says it's filled with annoying sjw leg beards.
I go on tumblr and everyone says it's filled with gross anti-sjw neck beards.
Idk what you're assigning to reddit, but that's just it. Is reddit an actual site or just a slur?
It can't be a state of being because that would require it to have an exact definition, but it doesn't.
I have never been to reddit, but everytime someone mentions it it's always in a negative way by assigning it with a clique they dislike.

Someone please tell me what reddit is.

It's just a buzzword like Tumblr, although Tumblr at least has a stereotype to attribute to it.

I guess Reddit is sort of the "normie" buzzword like Tumblr is the "SJW" buzzword. But I've seen anons use Reddit in reference for things other than "normies," so I really have no idea. I don't think they do either, for that matter.

All those things he said were true though.