What are your feelings on the B-tier film animation studios like Sony Animation, Blue Sky, WB and Laika?

What are your feelings on the B-tier film animation studios like Sony Animation, Blue Sky, WB and Laika?

Their works are pretty good!

I respect all of them but Laika. Fuck Laika. Incompetence supported by daddy's little boy.

Nigger, Peanuts was probably the most comfy movie ever made.

Doesn't mean that the studio isn't B-Tier.

Sup Will Vinton?

>Sony Animation

bad.

>Blue Sky

first Ice Age was alright. heard good things about Peanuts. rest is shit

>WB

what? Warner? What have they made besides Lego which was not B-tier at all?

>Laika

best one in the bunch by far, if you didn't like Coraline you have no soul

WB's film studio for animation has been shit for a long time. Their only hits of note since the 80s are Space Jam and LEGO movie. It's gonna take more than 1 LEGO movie for them to get anywhere near Disney/Pixar/Illuminations levels of success and/or critical acclaim.

Sony Animation a shit
Illumination drove that Minions stuff into the ground
Blue Sky keeps milking Ice Age
Laika is pretty good
WB hasn't proven themselves outside of the LEGO movie

Illumination isn't B-tier, they make too much money for that. They're the new dreamworks.

I like "cloudy with a chance of meatballs" and that's by sony right?

Yep.

>Laika
>B-tier

you take that back. Also.

>Sony
burn it to the ground and then snort the ashes

>WB
haven,'t made enough animated movies to form a cohesive opinion. Hoping Storks is as good as Lego Movie

>Blue Sky

technically proficient and granted, I haven't seen the peanuts movie, but they need some serious quality control, all those ice age movies just get worse each time, epic failed and I avoided both Rio films like the plague.

How is Laika B-list? Don't you need to have few hits to be B-list. They're more like C-list along with rainmaker entertainment and reel fx.

>Laika
I seriously haven't seen Coraline and I keep forgetting to. They look like the best though.

>Sony
Fucking incompetent in both live action and animation. They should either kill off their old guard or go out of business.

>WB
There's potential. I just wish Looney Tunes would be successful again.

>Blue Sky
There's talent, but it's squandered. Peanuts was surprisingly good/comfy. But seriously, nobody gives a shit about Ice Age past like... 2 or 3.

Go look at the box offices for the last 3 or 4 Ice Age moviea. Each one does better than the last.

>Laika
>B-tier

You're right. That's a little generous for a studio without a hit in 7 years.

>Sony
burn it
>Blue Sky
Mixed feelings
>WB
Very good. Wish people cared about them more. They probably would if they shilled products or something.
>Laika
Depends since it's all in the hands of one person.

sony studios isn't b-tier right

have you seen hotel transylvania it was really good animated.

Go away, Sony rep.

Cloudy and to a lesser degree Hotel Transylvania alone put Sony over for me, they just manage to instill so much energy and comedic timing in their animation, it's beautiful.

They're all hit or miss really.

i like laika

And now that DreamWorks is part of Universal. DreamWorks will be their Pixar?

Probably sell the TV stuff to Netflix.

Talk about hit und miss.

>Sony Pictures Animation
I'll forgive Open Season because everybody has to start somewhere. I'm bitter about this Sony Animation, because politics took what started out as an incredibly promising new studio, and ran it into the ground. After Surfs Up, and especially Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, I was convinced this studio would rise to the ranks of Pixar (or at least DreamWorks). Only instead of continuing their success story, they kept being used for third-party work like The Smurfs. Even when Hotel Transylvania came out, instead of it being an engaging story that matched its wonderful visuals, it was stale Sandler dreck. Cancelling Genndy's Popeye after seeing that beautiful footage is something I'll never get over. They scared both him, and Miller & Lord away; I don't blame them. I'm still holding out for Sony to redeem themselves, but it seem null at this point.

>Blue Sky
The first Ice Age is a generally good movie, and in terms of visuals the studio is very talented, but that about cuts it. There movies are just so generic and forgettable, and their attempts at pandering to younger generations with "hip" lingo and references are cringe-worthy. I mean, Robots and Peanuts are decent, but those are exceptions, and even they don't hold a candle to the best of CG-animation. If you watch the 2015 Hollywood Reporter table session, where they got a bunch of animation directors to talk about their films for an hour, Chris Savino (Blue Sky) sticks out like a sore thumb. When the guys they have representing Pixar (including Pete Docter) and Aardman sound so passionate and knowledgeable, it really says somethign that Blue Sky comes across as frauds.

>Warner Animation Group
Lego Movie was fantastic, but I'm scared that was more of proof that the directors aren't to be forgotten, than the studio is great. Storks looks mediocre, and a never-ending schedule of Lego spin-offs is less than promising. Still, their debut movie was so good, I may be proven wrong.

>Laika
Has there ever been a studio with creative goal set like Laika? Take a former Nike chairman/billionaire, and fund a stop-motion studio to make quality entertainment, regardless of whether or not they do well financially (although they do anyway). It's really unique, and the practices make them sound like a company you'd only hear about in theory, rather than real life. They haven't disappointed me yet. Even BoxTrolls (easily their worst) is infinitely more enjoyable than some studios' best!

>Illumination
Fuck these guys.

>Reel FX
Free Birds was bad. Book of Life was good. I honestly don't know how to feel about this studio yet. Only thing I can say is that they make good use of their limitations. Their animation isn't as good as other studios, but they get around that by using it in creative ways. Book of Life technically doesn't have as impressive "detailed models" as Pixar or Blue Sky, but the over-stylization and abstract designs make it just as impressive to watch.

>Illumination
Wish it never existed.
>Reel FX
Need more data. I only watched BoL from them and I can say they are alright.

The quality of their work is wildly inconsistent apart from Laika, which is pretty great. It'd be hard to form a judgment on them as a whole, considering how experimental they are compared to bigger studios.

What's with all the illumination hate? Despicable Me 1 and 2 are perfectly entertaining movies.

Not really. I hated it ever since I saw the trailers because "IZ SO FLUFFI". And then the minion shit and the movies were so mediocre and awful. Same issue with Lorax. It had interesting animation but the plot was screwed up and turned all preachy and annoying. And then Hop. No one watched Hop.

Hating the Lorax, I get. But come on, Despicablee is too nice and comfy to hate.

Will we ever see an established animation studio which makes more mature films, Sup Forums? (and when I say mature I mean more serious, not LOLSORANDOM Family Guy "mature").

There isn't really a major market for it.

I've watched none of Laika's movies but I've wanted to for ages. What are must-see, and what can I skip? Also, can I find them on Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc?

Watch them all, there's only like what, 3?
Coraline was the best (better than the book in fact). Paranorman was pretty good too. Never saw Boxtrolls.

Yeah, go live in Japan.