DC REBIRTH

DC Rebirth Speculation thread

After the outrage at Green Arrow having left leaning political opinions I figure next people will get mad Lois Lane is gonna be reporting news stories

>Prime Time

You bet it is.

Here's Black Canary by Ferreyra. God damn if Percy actually doesn't write shit it'll be fucking awesome and breakout book of Rebirth.

So, what titles have a chance of being actually good and not the usual schlock? Because if none of them are gonna break the cape mold I'll just stick to Young Animal/Vertigo.

Wonder Woman will finally be good again.

Deathstroke maybe. Priest is a great writer but Slade's been shit for so long.

*Superboy Prime is the big death in DC Rebirth #1. The Gentry kill him to try and silence him from telling Post-Crisis Superman about their threat.

*Ra's Al Ghul is now in charge of the Manhunters. Paul Kirk is his bodyguard and they imply that they are going to redo Millennium via Ra's Manhunters having spies throughout the super-hero community.

*The corrupted Nu Earth 2 Darkseid/Apokalips has vanished and replaced with the OG Earth 2. We meet up with the Earth 2 Spectre, who puts up a barrier keeping people from other planets (IE the people from the Earth 2 comic) from returning to the new planet.

*The big shocker is that OG Wally has joined the Gentry. They offered a position in their group to Superboy Prime, but he recoiled in horror at what they truly were. Wally on the other hand, having lost everything and then some and pissed the fuck at Barry did during Flashpoint, takes their offer up.

*Ted Kord is Blue Beetle, who's backstory is that he was a vigilante hero who everyone hated because he was light-hearted and silly, until something bad happened when he tried to get the JLA into making him a member. He retired after that until Jaime Reyes resurfaces (it's vague how much of the Nu52 still happened for Jaime, except to say that Jaime has been stuck in outer space for quite some time) and Ted seeks him out to take him under his wing. It should be noted that Jaime's no longer got the scarab/armor and will be getting a low tech costume similar to Ted's trademark suit.

>>Continued

*Joker's secret identity will intersect with Donna Troy's tangled origins in that Joker, like Donna Troy, is a retcon that walks like a man. Joker's a walking retcon who's origin changes depending on which fragment from the multiverse is the dominant one, ala Donna Troy and her tangled ever changing backstory. That makes Joker a key to the multiverse (similar to how Donna was revealed to be one in Infinite Crisis) and central to the mystery of the true nature of the DC Universe.

*Mr Twister is an agent of the Gentry, who's specifically after the Titans. It's also implied in his interaction with the team and Dick (as seen in Justice League #52) that he's wiping out the legacies as part of a meta plot to kill the DC Universe.

*The new "original" Doctor Fate teases the existence of the JSA in a scene where he holds a meeting with John Constantine. Constantine seeks him out after an off-screen fight with Geoff Johns creation Johnny Sorrow and announces he is leaving the US for the UK, tired of dealing with super-heroes and their ilk.

*It's mentioned in the Superman segment of the story that the 30th Century is inaccessible and stuck in a time storm, which will be the plot point for any status quo changes to the Legion if and when they come back.

*The Red Lanterns get a major tease in the story, with it implied strongly that they have cut a deal with the Gentry to serve them in exchange for some unstated reward for their alliance.

>>Continued

* JLI is mentioned in one segment, as Batman wanting to expand the League and Barry shitting on the JLI as a failed experiment that needs not be be repeated.

*Damian and Starfire are going to have an interesting relationship, in terms of Starfire treating him as a surrogate son and Damian not knowing how to handle a non-evil mother figure.

* Hal's absence from Earth is going to be a big deal and the Red Lantern/Gentry alliance is going to end up a big deal, Sinestro Corps War big deal in terms of build-up and pay-off. Same with the Manhunter/Ra's Al Ghul storyline

*Finally, the deaths of the male Amazons is getting retconned and retconned hard in Rebirth, when Wonder Woman finds them all alive and well, when the JLA shut down a Ra's Al Ghul/Manhunter training camp/brainwashing camp. They raid the camp and find a brainwashing facility and Diana recognizes several of them as her "brothers" and uses the lasso on them to find out that they were sold to Ra's Al Ghul by Hephaestus in exchange for Ra's giving him Manhunter alien tech. This kick starts the whole Rucka storyline of WW realizing that her whole existence has been a lie/been manipulated with falsehoods.

My heart is prepared for Super Sons.
But I'm not sure my nutbladder is.

Somebody tell me that Superboy Prime is coming back!!

We sure as fuck hope so. Who else would go "this world sucks"?

I'm really worried about Super Sons. Writer hasn't been announced and that makes me think it's Lobdell.

Why would they hold off announcing if it was Lobdell? They didn't hesitate to announce him on RHATO

No writers who were on the project were ditched last minute and maybe Lobdell is the only replacement they can find. That's my fear. September solicitation don't come out till next month.

That is some inspired FF.

>*The big shocker is that OG Wally has joined the Gentry. They offered a position in their group to Superboy Prime, but he recoiled in horror at what they truly were. Wally on the other hand, having lost everything and then some and pissed the fuck at Barry did during Flashpoint, takes their offer up.

Stopped reading right there. Why would Wally blame Barry? Is not like he knew going back to save his mother would whipe out Wally's family. Anyways, how uninspired would be to make him Superboy Prime 2.0

I wish it happens though. I want to Wallyfags to gouge their eyes out.

>Anyways, how uninspired would be to make him Superboy Prime 2.0
In day when Superwoman is Whor with different powerset?

who the hell are the Manhunters

Superwoman (and Chinese Super-Man) are just the Red and Blue Supermen but with 2016's diversity.
Is not like female superheroes taking the mantle of a male one is something that started with Whore

It was about time that Barry got some shit for what he caused

See those little dudes? They're Manhunters. Iirc, those robot Manhunters from Green Lantern created Martian Manhunters and those human Manhunters. They're all fighting crime.
Oh, I know that as well. It's really lazy but whatever. I just thought how Superwoman has same MY POWERS ARE KILLING ME!!!1! like Whor.

but they work for Ra's now?

Assuming this isn't rhetorical, either the droids that the Guardians of the Universe used as their peacekeeping force before they went crazy and started killing everyone, of which new models are being used by Sinestro, or the police-like force that J'onn J'onzz belonged to before his planet burned.

But why would N52 Barry be to blame? He is not the same PreFlashpoint Barry that caused it.

>Oh, I know that as well. It's really lazy but whatever. I just thought how Superwoman has same MY POWERS ARE KILLING ME!!!1! like Whor.
It's meta you imbecile fag. DC is going to show Marvel how to do What right.

Afaik, only Mark Shaw showed up but not as Manhunter.
>here's marshal Mark Shaw
>he's our best manhunter
>DC doing anything right

>MY POWERS ARE KILLING ME!!!1! like Whor.

I didn't know this. Then why the fuck is she carrying the hammer? Is not like they're no people worth of carrying it the universe. Hell, is not like the Earth and Asgard can't survive without a Thor.

>Then why the fuck is she carrying the hammer?
She'd rather die of super powers than of cancer

Oh, yes. There's many idiotic things. Like Jane's WHO KNEW DYING COULD BE SO AWESOME.

>a retcon that walks like a man
If this is real, I hope they write it as terrifying as this sounds.

Sounds like total bullshit.

Aren't they going on about "legacy"? Why would they shit all over a beloved characters like Wally, Ted and Jaime?

>memeing about DC
>in 2016
Cmon son.

Do we know who is the writer for Super Sons? That one looks like it's going to be a fun ride.

Wait until DC releases the solicits to find out it's Lobdell.

Why and how would Ra's Al Ghul control the Manhunters? What does he even have to do with them.

And the time storm stuff is/was already sort of somewhat canon. Kinda.

I honestly don't hate most of this, but responding to the overwhelming desire of the fanbase to see Wally by turning him into a villain seems retarded. And I hope it isn't true because it'll be all Sup Forums will shitpost about for ages if so.

>because it'll be all Sup Forums will shitpost about for ages if so.
Sounds good to me.

as if he isn't going to change his mind and redeem himself

or they can always say he was controlloed by a space bug years later

I really hope that they're not going to pull that again with Parallax. I'm worried since his constructs were yellow-green.
I really want the "Hal Jordan Lied" theory to be right.

>I really want the "Hal Jordan Lied" theory to be right.
Elaborate pls.

He's legit my husbando.

I don't know how I got here.

>thinking a Morrison concept would ever show up outside of his own stories

cute

>What is Countdown

It's basically just "back when Halallax had retcon powers, he changed history so that the fear bug would retroactively be a thing and he'd have an excuse"

Wonder Woman
Deathstroke
Blue Beetle
Nightwing (if you liked Grayson)

Potentially Flash
Potentially Green Arrow
Potentially Super Sons

I will also point towards Doom Patrol and Shade, the Changing Girl and Cave Carson. Shit, the whole Young Animal line

>Potentially Flash
>Potentially Green Arrow
>Potentially Super Sons

once you start including these you might as well name half the line

Super Sons doesn't even have a creative team yet. That guy upthread was being paranoid but it really could be Lobdell or someone similarly shitty like Krul. Remember he's back at DC doing the Bloodlines mini.

>Potentially Flash
Flash is sure to be good nigga

>Remember he's back at DC doing the Bloodlines mini.
Comic absolutely nobody asked for. Waste of ink.

welp i'm done with DC
Image, Valiant Dynamite it is

Please kill yourself.

So you're telling me Wally fucking West has less moral fortitude than Superboy Prime? What the fuck?

Hell, Wally was killed during Flashpoint. It's not like he'd remember that shit. The only powerful Wally would've been before Flashpoint or after Convergence, either way he hadn't lost everything.

He's the same dude he just doesn't remember anything.

>any Flash
>moral fortitude

They are a bunch of clowns

More than Superboy fucking Prime. He literally teamed up with the Anti Monitor.

Barry ruined things harder than SBP.

>Percy GA

I want to believe. I was probably the biggest Percy apologist during the DCYou run, but I'll be the first to admit I have *very* limited expectations.

Not so much story-wise, but the guy just sucks with the comic book medium. He could eventually improve -- and I'll be hype as hell for the day he gets better as a comic-book writer -- but until then, his problems with overuse of narration boxes, bad pacing (panel to panel pacing, page to page pacing, and issue to issue pacing), and weak dialogue aren't going to magically improve between GA #52 and Rebirth.

I think the choice of getting Ferrerya and Schmidt -- much more cartoony artists than anything GA has had for the New52 -- was a good choice and could play more to Percy's off-kilter sensibilities. But on the other hand, this could just be another great setup that gets squandered by Percy's handling (see: Detective Comics two-parter, which had a strong #35 but a very weak #36; also, Green Arrow #41 showed promise, but #42 and especially #43 were disappointments; and so on).

I'm not quite sure what he *needs* to do to improve. I feel like if he understood the importance of pacing in comics, he'd be smart enough to figure out the rest. And certainly, he has enough respect for the character and past runs, and certainly he has decent ideas (the arc with Tarantula had potential). He just needs to get better as a writer, and quickly.

Wally isn't Barry. Wally has strict rules about time travelling for personal reasons that he never broke. Only time he ever does it is when he's fighting another time traveler ala Cobalt Blue who, you know, killed the universe.

Of all people Wally is not a good choice to be some cosmic herald of destruction. He's a blue collar hero for christ's sake.

>Of all people Wally is not a good choice to be some cosmic herald of destruction. He's a blue collar hero for christ's sake.
He isn't. Stop replying to memeing faggots.

Assuming Wally's family was erased from existence, that might actually give him cause to just stop giving a fuck. I mean, we know Wally has no qualms about being a vengeful and cruel bastard when shit really hits the fan, imagine if his idol and role model destroyed his life entirely.

That's my point. It's preposterous because it makes no sense. Wally is not a supervillain.

But they weren't, atleast his kids weren't.

Zoom killed his kids and even then he refused to go back in time and change things despite being able to. The only reason things worked out as well as they did was because Zoom FORCED him to time travel (...oddly proving Zoom's point, but eh, happy ending).

The closest thing we've seen is Walter West, a version of Wally who couldn't save Linda from Kobra. He was still a hero, but more an edgy anti hero. Still didn't kill, but was brutal. That was supposed to be Wally at his absolute worst (the only thing in the world he cared about was taken from him) and he was still a hero. Because the core, fundamental thing about Wally West is that he wants to be a hero.

I already see title: Flash's Joker.

This is a Wally that lost his entire universe tho

Not really. Convergence made all universes exist again. At worst he just couldn't find it yet.

I mean sure they could undo that and make it so his universes was blown up if they were deadset on making him a villain but that's not really the case right now. Last we saw him he still had his kids in tow.

I guess we'll have to wait and see

I still want to know what that "most controversial scene ever" that Johns talked about will be. I mean I'm sure he's exaggerating but I hope it'll be something spectacular that's not simultaneously really stupid.

Assuming this shit about the Gentry bring involved is actually true, how would you guys feel about it?

Johns raping Morrison's creation would trigger me hard.

Yeah, I definer wouldn't appreciate them being turned into generic BBEGs like Johns likes to do. But still, just imagine if he plays it right and has Batman or someone open a copy of Ultra Comics, only for someone else to knock at the door.

Johns can do meta shit but I doubt they'll take this convoluted route for a normie event.

>Image, Valiant, Dynamite

Ah, the Reddit starter pack.

if they did it with Darkseid they can do it with everything

Didio said it, not Johns. And I can't imagine anything being more controversial than making the beloved og Wally West an unrepentant bad guy

They made it very clear that it's the Fearbug, his teeth were all pointy and he had the same speech bubbles from rebirth

I'd be okay with it, Intellectron a cute

>Green Arrow having left leaning political opinions
Nice bait, cunt. There's a difference between that and being a SJW faggot, which is what it sounds like GA is becoming.

>That makes Joker a key to the multiverse

Sure.

Pre-flashpoint Supes has flat out said his universe was gone which is why he's stuck on new52verse. Though it's not unreasonable to think there's another universe that's more or less identical to the old one somewhere.

I thought Superman couldn't go back because it was impossible to navigate the giant super multi verse after they made it exist again (by beating Anti Monitor)? Not because it was destroyed or whatever. I mean, the ending of Convergence was literally "every story ever is canon and in the multiverse somewhere again."

I mean, The Just is a universe that exists, post Flashpoint, and it is literally Post Crisis/Pre Flashpoint Earth but in the future. I'm sure there's other examples.

I suppose the only hang up for Wally would be, if his Earth is dead like you say, that any place he went would already have a Wally and Linda there. But I imagine Wally could find some place to live. Fuck, he even has experience with this kind of shit -- he had to maneuver through infinite parallel realities because of Abra Kadabra to save him and Linda in the Dark Flash arc.

All of that said, the worst case scenario is Wally's universe is dead but he still has his kids. He's not going to go all supervillain when he's the only parent his kids have left. Something would have to happen to them for Wally to go off the deep end.

Bwahaha, didn't Black Lightning decline later?

Yep.

Johns has mentioned that he has been inspired by the "the multiverse is a living being" Morrisonian idea in the last rebirth interview. Also Morrison said in an interview that he's been exchanging ideas with Johns. And don't forget that hypercrisis moment during infinite crisis. And there's a giant hand holding the pre crisis heroes in the rebirth promos. One can only hope, really.