Baron Zemo in Civil War

OK so what the actual fuck was the point of the antagonist of Civil War being called Baron Zemo when he may as well just been some random asshole with a grudge. There is NOTHING Zemo about this asshole.

Hell I have no problems of things being changed for movies but what the actual fuck is the point if you keep LITERALLY nothing from the comics? It may as well be a new character.

I loved Civil War but Zemo's role in it is seriously a low point.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosopher_king
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

To set up for Thunderbolts.

Regardless he is a shitty Zemo

I'm not going to type out the whole thing, but ask in the actual Civil War thread and they'll tell you why you're wrong.

Hopefully they get someone who actually wants to write him and the Tbolts to do something with Bruhl's character.

Also as much praise the Russos and the Cap writers get they have been shit with Cap's villains, they even turned an obscure SHIELD character into a villain for TWS and Rumlow didn't do much in TWS and when he was finally Crossbones in CW he blew up.

What was the point of this post even

Why would he be in the Thunderbolts if he's literally just a random asshole with a grudge? He's not special, he's not a villain, and he's not an ancient Nazi. He's literally unimportant to any future plots.

Marvel has a rich tradition of fucking up their villians. just be glad he didn't conveniently blow up like most of them

Hell I liked the random Shield exec being a bad guy in TWS, I would be fine with the antag of CW if he was an actual new character.

Also they really did kill off Crossbones way too early

He's a rusemaster doing everything because of ''muh family''.
Considering what little they've shown of him, I think they did fine.

I agree completely. I like him even though his character was literally a plot device. And at the end where he just shoots all the suoer soldiers was great. But they should have called him anything else

>Why would he be in the Thunderbolts if he's literally just a random asshole with a grudge?
Because he founds the group, you dummy.

>He's not special, he's not a villain
He was in black ops, and he was literally the villain of CW.

Will he come back with the purple costume?

>But they should have called him anything else
This is ultimately my problem. He would have been great as a standalone one-off villain, just don't call him Zemo.
>Considering what little they've shown of him, I think they did fine.
I really wish they kept the Hydra aspect of his character. Hell I wish they kept any aspect of his character. Fuck I would settle for just a fucking mask at this point.
>Because he founds the group, you dummy.
No proof this is going to happen. Hell why would it? As a previous user said he is just a nobody. He has no big connections with anyone.
>He was in black ops
Which isn't much in the MCU

>he was literally the villain of CW.
There is a difference between an antagonist and a villain. The "Zemo" in CW was no villain, he was just a guy out for revenge.

Ross and Zemo are still alive.
If Suicide Squad doesn't fail and Disney sees that a villain team-up movie can do well, they'll go ahead with it, but I doubt it would happen in this phase.
They already had to push everything back to fit in Spiderman.

I believe they wanted Zemo to be closer to the comics when making Cap 3, but they ultimately had to rewrite him to fit with the consequences theme. You can't just put a nazi with a grudge in a hero vs hero movie.

>You can't just put a nazi with a grudge in a hero vs hero movie.
I have no idea why not. An old nazi enemy of cap wants to manipulate cap and his team. I don't see why that would be bad. Hell, the bad guy trying to turn his enemies against each other is one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Reminds me of the villain from TDKR being named Bane despite having zero in common other than drop-kicking Batman.

>I really wish they kept the Hydra aspect of his character
Hydra is offically done. AoS finished off the last of them this season and isn't it even referenced in CW that hydra is no more.

Thank christ, it's been hydra since cap 1. There are other threats they can do

>No proof this is going to happen.
What? Are you suddenly in a completely different argument? That was in response to "why" Zemo would be in a Thunderbolts movie. And he's literally in a prison for super-powered people at the end of the movie, he could very easily make a Masters of Evil or Thunderbolts group in there.

>Which isn't much in the MCU
And "son of a Nazi" is? And no, before you bring it up, Zemo was never HYDRA in the comics until very recently.

Except that character was cool.

>It's an user doesn't understand the difference between a villain and an antagonist while citing synonyms and pedantry as his defense.

It's okay to be wrong, friend. It happens to everyone at least once a day. We're all human here, most of us at least.

At least he has a mask

Also Prison

Yeah, your average "guy out for revenge" can turn the Avengers against themselves, ultimately destroying the group. I think that you're just too stupid to realize this was essentially his origin story, or you don't really read comics.

>It happens to everyone at least once a day
Yes, like OP. In this thread.

"Bane" was a pussywhipped punk bitch.

It's a mask with nothing in common with the old mask, though. It's like if Batman wore a Spider-Man mask.

How is the OP wrong? The Zemo in CW is nothing like the Zemo in the comics, you cant deny this.

Also Prison

Because the younger nazis are 92 years old now.

Son of a Nazi indoctrinated into the cause. Hydra was still a thing.

>manipulative, has many convoluted master plans
>wants revenge for the death of family member(s)
>focused on Steve in particular (the whole exchange about his eyes)
OP pls

"The Zemo in CW is nothing like the Zemo in the comics" is a huge exaggeration, you can't deny this.

What's Zemo like in Comics? I've never read anything he was involved in.
I really liked Zemo's character and concept in the movie but his plan was way too convoluted.

>has many convoluted master plans
He had one plan and it wasn't really convoluted.
>focused on Steve in particular (the whole exchange about his eyes)
The movie didn't portray him having anything specific against Steve but against all the Avengers.

Zemo didn't feel like a man who was simply out for just revenge. He also wanted some changes made that will affect people with unchecked power.

>He also wanted some changes made that will affect people with unchecked power.
That wasn't his goal at all. That was just a part of his scheme to turn them against each other.

it's simple. he was zemo because his story concludes with him essentially succeeding in his goal. marvel didn't want to have a no name villain be the guy that "beat" the avengers. if he was a no name dude the "hur dur, the avengers got beat by some regular guy when loki and ultron couldn't" memes would be never ending. making him the mcu version of an established villain elevates him and makes his win acceptable to fan boys. also, zemo was great in this movie.

Sure Zemo was great in the movie but he wasn't a great Zemo.

I rather have a great 'Zemo' than the actual Baron Zemo, tbqh.

Thinks that not all people are created equal, and certain people (like himself) are just plain better and should be in charge.

More or less:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosopher_king

- comes from a failed Germanic country
- was once a member of a group meant to sow terror (Echo Scorpion)
- Master manipulator
- Always one step ahead of everyone

How the hell is he NOT Zemo, sans absence of wearing a damn dishtowel on his face?

I forgot:

- Family members are dead as a result of the Avengers' actions

Were people expecting Zemo to lead a Masters of Evil team to attack the Avengers HQ? Or maybe have him weaponize super glue and terrorize the populace?

Anyone notice he didn't have the baron part, or the costume?
and that he was alive at the end of the movie?
yeah, he's clearly going to return to be a villain in a future movie. Like they did with Crossbones and Loki.

you can almost say CW was Baron Zemo's origin story

Isn't he still a guy who hates the Avengers for killing his father? That at least hasn't changed. And it doesn't kill his ability to be a threat in the future either. His grudge still stands. There are still Avengers out there. He's still alive. They're probably going to use him for something in the future.

>I really wish they kept the Hydra aspect of his character.
How strong has Zemo's connection to HYDRA ever really been? I'm not that educated about the character, but I read his father's first Masters of Evil appearance, and he wasn't HYDRA, he was a straight up Nazi from Nazi Germany, who was hiding out in South America. Are you sure you're not getting him mixed up with Strucker?

>"But they didn't use the costume"
>"When is he gonna get his mask?"

I think it's funny that Marvel is making these films and they can't even get their own characters right.

Never throughout the film was he referred to as "Baron".

>Another Hydra ruse cruise

Please no more. It's as he said, that Hydra deserves its place in the ash pile of history

I'm sorry about BvS user, but no need to be salty.

I think it's funny that only a few thousand comic book fan will even care.

>Like they did with Crossbones

Yeah and look how that turned out

>"Haha! My ultimate weapon to destroy the Avengers! A super-adhesive that can't be disssolved!"
>Gets dissolved by fucking Paste-Pot-Pete's solvent.
It never stops being funny to me.

>no mask
>no sword
Not muh Zemo

>No pink glue
Not MUH Zemo!

Yeah I'm not sure what version of Zemo other people are remembering, because his drawing Steve and Bucky in to taunt and troll them over muh dead dad thing was very much Zemo. Just because he wasn't purple?

Thunderbolts, duh.

What I've found is that the more surface level and casual a fan's excitement or love of a character is, the more they care about the accoutrement of the character, and less about the core of who the character is.

isn't Zemo supposed to be aristocratic and snooty in his villainy?

But they also shelved Inhumans indefinitely.

Could be Iron Man 4, could be T Bolts, could be something wildly unexpected.

Pretty much. I want Zemo to be a stuck up dick that thinks he is better then everyone.

Zemo was too sympathetic.

I'm just sick of NOT MUH ZEMO by people who clearly have no fucking clue who Zemo is or what he's about. He's more than a purple sock nazi. Thanks for teaching me the word accoutrement, though, that's exactly how I feel.

This is true though, some people are better than others.
I'm a manlet and I know I'll never be good at basketball than other people.
People are not created equal, but everyone deserves equal rights.

The only things he was missing were some daddy issues and actively wanting outdo Cap but that can be added in with a second appearance. He was Zemo in every other way.

But because the only one who wanted that movie was Ike Perlmutter and they pushed him away from movies.

Fuck Ross, if they do Thunderbolts it should be the classic setup. Even the shitty cartoon went with it to prove it can be done for plebs.

Listening to his wife speak, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of future snootiness.

What did they reveal about his father? Only that he died with Zemo's wife and children?

The reason doesn't matter, Marvel/Disney now have an empty spot on their currently announced slate of films.

I think it's likely they will simply move something else from phase 3 up to an earlier release, but then we are still left with an empty slot at the end.

I think it said why he was with them too, but yeah that's basically it. Plenty of room to build on that at least.

Yeah, but that spot was taken by Spiderman.

Ah, good point.

I want to know more about his time on that Sokovian "death squad" they mentioned but didn't really explore much. What was his training like? What has he done before?

There's no hole. Inhumans was scheduled for the July 2019, a whole year after Infinity War Part 2. If that's gone for good they could replace it with literally anything. Launch of a new franchise, Black Panther or Dr Strange sequels, GotG 3, Cap, IM, or Thor 4, etc etc.

Speaking of Thor. Does anyone else wish that they would swap the Black Panther and Thor movie schedules? I would love to watch Panther next year. Waiting till 2018 for his solo movie is gonna be a pain.

>I would love to watch Panther next year. Waiting till 2018 for his solo movie is gonna be a pain.
Goddammit, they can't just set us up with all this Panther hype, and then make us wait 2 years. That's just cruel.

At least when they pull Bucky during his movie out of the freeze it won't feel too rushed.

Does it have to be a Marvel replacement? They already have Indiana Jones taking the place of it

This is why movies are bullshit and Netflix is actually what we should be wanting for most interesting ideas. Serial stories should be adapted serially.

This. I don't like what I've seen of Dr. Strange, never liked GOTG as much as other people did, and the Thor franchise has been garbage so far so even if the movie turns out to be good I have little reason to care beforehand. It's going to be a long wait before I start seeing the characters I actually already care about again.

Although has a point.

Isn't Team Cap hiding in Wakanda?
Also, BP is the last movie before Infinity War.

I don't think they plan on staying if they are all there. The wording of Steve saying "they'l come for him" instead of "they'll come for us" makes it sound like he's dropped Bucky off in T'Challa's protection.

I love all of those except for Thor, and honestly don't see why they don't make that movie a direct prelude to Infinity War in Panther's spot. They already seem to be doing that, so I don't know why it comes out so far before Infinity War.

Also, It's probably smarter not to store Bucky in the same place as them if they're found out. Still, it would be cool to see Panther gift Steve with a kickass new suit of Vibranium-scale armor.

You think Pym would take them in if they all crashed at his place? He seems to have a nice house, with a decent amount of room. Maybe they can start the West-Coast Avengers.

My brother has read like 2 fucking Zemo comics and still manages to understand the fundamental core of the character better than you do, OP.

Cap's going to have to recollect his boyfriend at some point. If not in Black Panther's movie, then in IW. No doubt Falcon is going to have to get his rightfully Wakandan wings, too.

I never really cared for the fandom portrayal of all the Avengers and their associated sidekicks living out episodes of Friends in Stark Tower, but I'd totally be down with Team Cap chilling with their newer better sugar daddy in Wakanda. Probably because I like that group of characters better.

I'm a little torn between wanting Tony to get the fuck over himself and give the shield back to Cap, or Cap just getting a new one from T'Challa. Same with Bucky and a new arm. I imagine that they left the blasted off one with Stark, and knowing him he might have taken it with in intention to study the technology. Him giving Bucky a new one could be a good olive branch, but T'Challa outfitting him with a superior vibranium one would be great as well and a good way to show off the extent of Wakanda's technology.

It is going to drive me crazy having to wait this many years to find out where the fuck all of them are, though.

Remember, it's alright to have a character who's nothing like the comic book character that they're supposed to be if it's a Marvel Studios film. If someone else does it then it's not alright, then it's the worst film ever made. Marvel Studios cannot do wrong, because it's owned by Disney.

Go to bed, Snyder

I dislike Snyder's films too. Why do you think that if someone dislikes Marvel films that they automatically like DC films?

While it's a big departure from the source material, it does build him up as an interesting villain. Now he's got underworld cred as the man who broke up the Avengers. He could totally spin that into a super villain persona. Start calling himself "Baron" Zemo. Maybe get himself a Masters of Evil team together. Or even better, a Thunderbolt squad. I'd love to see what mischief he could get up to.
And it is nice that for once we didn't kill off the antagonist. I think Marvel's finally learned that if they wanna milk this gravy train, they gotta have repeat offenders ready. Can't just keep murdering all their baddies.
Now they got Loki, Zemo, Abomination's still on ice, Red Skull is somewhere in the cosmos waiting to be called back into action, and all they need to bring Ultron back is some macguffin about how he hid himself in a hardrive somewhere and has been laying low. It's really not that hard to write Ultron back to life, they've been doing it since the sixties. Remember when Bendis "Killed him for reals" a couple years back? Funny stuff.
But yeah, it's important to keep human antagonists alive if they want to bring them back for future stories.

>Start calling himself "Baron" Zemo.
He could literally be a Baron and just not have used the title in this. We don't know anything about his background. We don't know who his father was.

To me the only departures from the source material in this film were the lack of a sword and mask. Which are not essential to Zemo IMO. His characterization was well in line with Thunderbolts Z.

Something that would have been funny:
>Talking with Black Panther at the end
>"After I left the military I settled down. Found a nice girl. Got a normal job. I worked in the local glue factory. I was the best glue maker in all of Sokovia."
Adhesive X. Google it.

Every day I thank fuck that people like this user, who have so clearly never read the source material beyond a wiki page, are not in charge of these movies.

Since we all kind of have a hunch Thunderbolts is gonna happen (Gunn expressed interest in said project, Zemo ins now an established fixture of the MCU, new Thunderbolts ongoing out of nowhere that just kinda got the band back together for seemingly no reason other than "why not?") how do you think Zemo is gonna handle his superhero identity. He could easily rock the "Citizen V" look but he could just as easily make a superhero persona with his purple sock mask and fancy furs. Call himself "The Baron" or "Baron Z". Would be a cool way to introduce his comic costume since it's not like said costume has been associated as his villain suit yet.

To highlight that this thread itself has no point.

This Zemo has no interest in leading a group of superhumans, that's why he destroyed the winter soldiers.
>Did you really thing I wanted more of you?