I'm looking for a present for my mum's birthday, she's Belgian and I know she likes some comics...

I'm looking for a present for my mum's birthday, she's Belgian and I know she likes some comics, but I'm totally ignorant of the Belgian comics scene outside Tintin and Asterix. What are some of the best Belgian comics that would be suitible? She hates fantasy and sci fi so those are off the cards.

Marsupilami is pretty cute.

Blake and Mortimer if he's into adventure

From the same guy as Marsupilami you have "Idées Noires".
Less cute, but if she likes dark humour it'll be a blast.

>Belgian

Flemish or Walloon? Because Flanders has another, seperate comics culture to the "Franco-Belgian" one.

Flemish

Never expected this to be relevant on Sup Forums

if you're looking for the really oldschool classical stuffs then:
lucky luke
blake et mortimer
everything by frankin
i'm personnaly in love with buddy longway by derib
les schtroumpfs (the smurfs)
alix
les tuniques bleues

i would ad few really popular stuffs:
anything by schuiten and peters
thorgal (it's fantasy but it is a best-seller for a reason)
peter pan by loisel
le chat du rabbin by sfar
blacksad

Thorgal is pretty good. Though that might be too sci-fi and fantasy at the same time.

Largo Winch, sort of adventure comic about a billionaire.

XIII, About a secret agent who lost his memory.
Though honestly, unless she's living elsewhere or doesn't buy comics for herself you're better off giving her something she doesn't know or isn't from Belgium. Might be exotic.

A lot of Belgians on Sup Forums, apparently.

In that case I'd recommend Amoras, the "grown-up" reboot of the Suske en Wiske (Spike & Suzy in English) series, which i'm sure she'll be familiar with. If you can get it, I think they might be hard to come by.

Other than that, there's the more neutral Franco-Belgian school comics that are popualr in Flanders as well: Thorgal, XIII, Largo Winch, Lucky Luke, Spirou/Robbedoes, Blake & Mortimer, Yoko Tsuno,...

Anything goes really. But if she's from Flanders and grew up on stuff like Suske en Wiske, Jommeke and Tintin/Kuifje, then Amoras is a good bet imo.

Good list. Forget the smurfs, it's for babbies.
I'll add anything by Jean Van Hamme (specifically XII and Largo Winch) to this
Oh.

I don't know shit about Flemish comics though.

>He dosn't know Sup Forums loves BDs no matter where one is from

Franco-Belgian comics are very popular outisde of Belgium.

>Though honestly, unless she's living elsewhere or doesn't buy comics for herself you're better off giving her something she doesn't know or isn't from Belgium. Might be exotic.
Yeah, I'm thinking that now. She loves travel so maybe one of Guy Delisle's books could work.

Thanks to all anons for the excellent suggestions, I'm definitely considering some and I'll probably get a few for myself down the line.

This looks great, might be the one.

nah... the smurfs are nice... i'm keepin them on the list... i really like peyo. (fuck those movies tho...)

If you're Euro/co/mrade, I'm certain you've read at least one Franco-Belgian comic.

I like some of it, but I really wouldn't recommend them for a woman in her 50s.

The Flemish school is generally focused on kids stuff , comedy and absurdism. That and because of how they were published in newspapers instead of magazines was why they never made as big an impact as the more adult-oriented and often serious francophone comics.

Good to know.
Although the most popular Franco-Blegian comics are also aimed at children.

This is now a Petit Spirou thread.
These were also very popular in Flanders during my childhood under the name De Kleine Robbe.

Alix is looking like the best actually, history is a big interest of hers. I think that'll be it!

Thanks again to all anons who've offered suggestions.

Recent Petit Spirou comics have been really fucking bad, which is a shame because it used to be absolute gold.

m8, if you haven't read Franco-Belgian comics, you don't know shit about comics.

Freddy Lombard

Never seen any English translations of Petit Spirou