Is this the greatest Supes run of all time?

Is this the greatest Supes run of all time?

>inb4 bad art

it has bad art

Yeah, it's definitive Superman run.

Bronze era.

It's fantastic. Is it the best in the mainstream DC continuity? I don't know if I'd say that. But it's up there.

It got better and better as it went on, with all of the pieces of one great, big puzzle coming together. Honestly the middle was kind of a slog on a first read, with really weird plots that seemed slow that didn't seem to go anywhere. But by the end, everything makes sense and you realize why certain things were they way they were.

Though I could've done more with Golden Age Supes going around, fighting for social justice like a fucking boss.

Also probably the best modern Mxyzptlk story ever.

Art was...okay. Actually very good in some parts, whereas some others weren't so good. But he can draw a great bishounen Supes when he wants to, so there's that.

The art has more good moments than bad. The occassional derp face is a decent sacrifice for everything else being top notch.

>But he can draw a great bishounen Supes when he wants to, so there's that.
Rags Morales, I mean.

Does that make Morrison the definitive Superman writer? He gave us the best Superman story and the best run.

>Also probably the best modern Mxyzptlk story ever.

#17 made me tear up.

Well no, he's only running like that because he can't fly very well yet
I'd say the great Supes runs are against the flash and when he uses his super speed to do stuff while no one can watch

Op can't inb4 faggot

Was that the Krypto one shot?
Wasn't written by Morrison but it was still top tier among a top tier run.

I'm reading Loeb\Kelly right now and not really enjoying it becuase of the constant weekly crossovers, I've heard it gets best in towards the end of year 2 but I don't know if I'm that patient

Post other best runs becuase I want to read a great one

There are things I like in other runs. New Krypton annoyed me because it's mostly ONE LONG SLOG to a reset button that also ended sticking us with Grounded (and depressed EMO Clark). But it had some things I really enjoyed, like Chris Kent and Mon-El.

Ditto Up, Up and Away. Except for the Luthor literal Dues Ex sunstone which just reminds me of every Star Trek episode where some alien can easily board and take over the ship irrespective of language and what would seem like basic password protection techniques.

I've read the Loeb/Kelly stuff in trades so I get the cross overs neatly packaged. I like a lot of it but, again, different things seem like not so much lazy but simplistic or unimaginative plotting.

Morrison's Action run for the 'puzzle' elements mentioned by is the one thing I've re-read more than once of anything since the Byrne reboot.

Save for the art, I would call it fantastic. But as a written work it's great and the first trade would have made a far better movie than any version we've ever gotten, including DCAU.

I liked this run and was sad not a lot of people were still reading by the end, but it's really good if you paid attention. It was clear Morrison wished he made each issue a one shot near the end and he had less arcs so his story could be laid out more.

I hope DC releases a deluxe edition of this run one day.

> all these people saying morrison's run was great.

I heard new52 action comics was shit beyond the first volume from a lot of places. Guess I'll go pick up the rest of it then.

t. Morrisonfag

>There are things I like in other runs. New Krypton annoyed me because it's mostly ONE LONG SLOG to a reset button that also ended sticking us with Grounded (and depressed EMO Clark). But it had some things I really enjoyed, like Chris Kent and Mon-El.
The whole entire 'New Krypton' arc is probably one of the biggest examples of wasted potential in mainstream superhero comics. It could've been something amazing that pushed the status quo forward into something different. Then they just did exactly what you said they did.

>Ditto Up, Up and Away.
That was a great story. Honestly the whole Geoff Johns run was great up until the New Krypton arc, though I wasn't a big fan of Brainiac either.

Brainiac was second best for me right after Last Son. Brainiac had God tie art by Frank.

maggin is my definitive writer

It fucking sucked. If a less popular writer did it you'd be crapping all over it.

Sort of, yeah, but the fucking dreadful art does ruin it. It's not just wonky, grotesque faces, it's a lack of imagination or creativity. Morales' layouts, choices, everything was just so ugly and unimaginative. Made it feel really muddled. It's a fucking shame really, because had it been rendered by a competent artist, it'd be All-Star tier.

You just didn't get it.

Not even close.

Morrison should stick to doing stuff where his artists are given the time they need instead of being forced to keep up with a monthly deadline. Imagine if Frank Quietly had gotten to draw more than 3 issues of Batman and Robin

Exactly. He'd have easily elevated the Red Hood arc, which like much of New-X-men was marred by shit art.

Well that was because he was in a car accident, hurt his back, and couldn't spend the time needed at a drawing table for more than covers.

Post better runs.

I'll start.

>Post other best runs becuase I want to read a great one
Alan Moore's run on Supreme.

>Supreme
>Superman

>Alan Moore's run on Supreme.

Absolutely. I love All-Star, also GOAT, but shorter mini series, whatever. But Supreme is easily the best long run. Meta/self reflexive, so creative, nails multiple eras and aesthetics, heart, whimsy, humor. It's astounding and a must-read for any Superman fan.

It's up there. I really loved #9

Am I the only one that genuinely loved Rags Morales's art on Action Comics?

Yes, they're the same character.

Morrison's "Action Comics" Superman and Morrison's "All-Star" Superman are still the same character, even though they're in different continuities and lead different lives and take part in different stories.

Same with Supreme. Different, continuity, different life, different stories, but still Superman. Read some fucking comics already.

yes

Probably

no

The Xa-Du one and done with art from Travel Foreman? That was Morrison.

Okay, I thought it was just another case of him not being fast enough or he was already working on Pax Americana and Jupiter's Legacy

>Alan Moore's run on Supreme.
To call it overrated would be a praise.

>overrated
You're bringing up that word in a Morrison thread?

Brainiac disappointed me.

>Johns kept on teasing that this would be the definitive Brainiac story
>kept on saying good quotes in interviews, like that Brainiac was the alien that Superman wasn't
>could've done anything but just gives him a roided up robot body that could fight Superman in a straight fist fight
>gives him some shitty super OCD Freudian excuse that makes him a fear of microscopic germs and other organisms
>story wasn't even that particularly interesting or well-written

Still waiting on that story that does Brainiac 'right'.

>Read some fucking comics already.
Says the Morrison hater.

Great bants m8

Unfortunately not.

Even this moment, meant to cap off an extraordinarily daunting set of events, to be a relief, a nice, warm moment aaaaand it's ugly as fuck. You can rationalize and think to yourself, 'eh, it's not that bad," but what is that? Art should be good, not passable, certainly not ugly, it should compliment the story. He let Morrison, and fans, down.

Morrison>Moore

Uh oh. The hornet's nest has been kicked.

I see now that it was a mistake to answer the question "Is this the greatest Supes run of all time?" with a greater run, because dissenting opinions are NOT WELCOME here. We're only allowed to toe the party line in this "open" discussion.

My apologies.

>superman my face is melting!

They're both GOAT

You have yet to reccomend a Superman run.

>we will never get a Brainiac story where he just wants some pants. A DECENT PAIR OF PANTS

Someone said they didn't like your suggestion, and instead of defending it, you just insulted theirs. Normally I wouldn't reply, but this shitpost reeks of "I don't know I'm shitposting." Carry on

Morrison is more consistently good, especially in modern times, while Moore has better highs

SOLOMON GRUNDY WANT PANTS TOO

Fucking shitposters... I swear,of you lot really are doing it for free then you're sadder than I thought.

Defend against what? No criticism was offered. is just an empty, meaningless shitpost.

I could agree with that.

Yeah, Moore might have more raw talent, but Morrison is unbelievably consistently good to great.

>Moore has better highs
Not really. Morrison's more consistent but that's about it. When they're on their best day they're unmatched. Except for Milligan I suppose but he's also very inconsistent.

Moore and Morrison are the Sopranos and Mad Men of Sup Forums

One came first, changed the game and sorta birthed the next, which in its way surpassed the original. Two titans, in a league of their own.

>the best Superman story
>implying

Yeah, SI edges out ASS for me.

I find milligan to be consistent
he used to be consistently great and now he's consistently mediocre

Best Milligan stories?

I've read Kid Amazo which I loved, and I have his Animal Man issues but haven't read them yet.

Highly overrated

You mean Sopranos and The Wire.

>Moore
>Changed the game
I mean, he tried, but no one really followed him.

I finally got around to reading that the other day. Really great book, I still don't know if I'd call it the best Superman story. I just don't like that he's stealthy and doesn't want to be seen. It gets a lot of Superman ideas right, but I love the idea of Superman bringing out the best of humanity and being more of an inspiring symbol than a modern myth.

X-Statix and Shade

Moore started the British Invasion, dude

Please explain why you think that.
I'm not being condescending, I'd like to know.
I love the emotionally focused story and I think the art is almost in a league of it's own.

enigma
shade
dark knight dark city
girl
everything with brendan mccarthy
egypt
human target

Enigma. Though Shade's up there and his collaborations with Brendan McCarthy are outstanding(especially stuff like Skin and Rogan Gosh)

That's fair, but it's not "changing the game" in that you can feel his presence in other writer's works years later.

Maybe I'm using a different interpretation of the phrase, but writers that changed the game are, to me, Frank Miller, Garth Ennis, Neil Gaiman, Brian K Vaugn. They created styles that lesser writers have mirrored.

I like Morrison and I like Moore, they've collectively written some of the best comics, but you can't really see their influence everywhere.

I still fucking love how the suit was portrayed in this. Everything else has a grounded, realistic color palette, but Superman is bright and eye-poppingly colorful.

The way the reflective yellow/gold of the S caught and played with light was great too.

That page is probably my favorite 'discovering their powers' moment in any comic.

Are you retarded?

>what is Watchmen
>what is every British Invasion writer being hired by Karen Berger because of Moore's Swamp Thing

Only one of those writers got a funnybook to be listed in the Time magazine article "100 Greatest Novels of all Time".

I'll let you guess who.

It annoyed me that the Brainiac had probes.

Why would he have a centralized intelligence? There should be one Brainiac in many different bodies around the universe doing evil brainy stuff.

You do realize Morrison was writing comics before Moore, right?

well it turned out there was a huge ass multiversal brainiac pulling all the strings

Morrison wrote comics first, but Moore was a _successful_ writer first.

Go look up Morrison's "enfant terrible" phase (as Morrison himself describes it). Moore was in the big leagues, Morrison wasn't, so Morrison tried to follow Moore by writing articles about how Moore was a shithead and Morrison was going to replace him.

Morrison will probably never write a monthly comic again and the art on Action Comics and the fill-ins for Batman Inc (IN THE FINAL FUCKING ISSUE NO LESS) means this is a good thing.

The upcoming Multiversity sequel stuff sounds great. Let him and his artist work at their own pace. Let him make up his own continuity if DC is too stupid to let him do what he wants.

>IN THE FINAL FUCKING ISSUE NO LESS
There wasn't fill ins in the last issue.

Fine, final arc then

atleast burnham went back and redid all the fill ins himself

The man is BASED. Now DC needs to put out a paperback for New52 Inc.

Nah, the Myxy one where he sees Pa Kent at the end.

Well, Klaus, Nameless, and others are essentially monthly with some delays, but your point stands for DC. It's nice he's getting these projects with time for artists to do their thing, yeah. Really looking forward to more Multiversity and the insane sounding Batman B&W, and the WWE1 sequels.

On the Absolute edition. After I already bought the original trades to financially support comics that I enjoy because I was not told that an Absolute edition would one day be released.

HAIL ALL DAY
HAIL EVERY DAY

The three trades that make up Morrison's run are great to read that way.

Yeah the art was great and the Brainiac story was fine except to the extent that it essentially sets up New Krypton. Which is also my problem with Last Son, in addition to the clear Donner supplied elements (not that they bother me, I liked the movie - it's just that they are so clearly never picked up elsewhere, going forward.

There are so many great artist they could have paired with this. Imagine what Will Shaner could have done with some of those issues. Or if they hired someone like Francisco Francavilla for the run?

>Imagine what Will Shaner could have done with some of those issues. Or if they hired someone like Francisco Francavilla for the run?

And now i'm sad.

This is a good trade and a good mini. I've re-read it more than once, so definitely top tier.

However, it's not, per se, a "run" of Superman. We've had plenty of threads on "best" or "favorite" Superman stories, this isn't even that, nor is it an Elseworlds.

Is this Harry Potter?

Shaner has said, more than once, that he wants to do some Superman stories. He used to regularly post speculative art on his blog (which unfortunately no longer exists nor does his Deviant Art account - or at least it's not open to the public).

No - there's a back up story about Krypto being with Clark even before essentially he creates his Fortress and therefore has access to the Phantom Zone. There's a Myxy back up as well, these two by Fisch.

I can't remember a Myxy story about Pa Kent. Do you mean how Clark was in two places at once, and he's speaking to Pa even after the accident?

Morrison plotted the backups with Fisch. They all tie in to the main stories.

thats kind of cool. I dropped the book after awhile

maybe ill go pick that one up

That art would have been absolutely perfect. I dream to become a millionaire and to be able to contract Shaner to spend a couple years redoing the whole run.

nice meme

You know what the real shame about the art is? It's not that Rags Morales is a bad penciler, quite the opposite actually. Look at his raw pencils and they are fucking gorgeous. The REAL problem is that Rick Bryant is a horrible fucking inker. Seriously, the dude makes everything muddy and gives everyone a cross eyed collapsed face look. He's a lazy sack of shit who should not be inking comics.

I'd tend to agree. It's simple, it's nice and chill, very good, so if it's a personal favorite, that is great, but it's nowhere near All-Star. Or Supreme.