SNL: RDJ

has any SNL cast member ever gone on to be so successful?

Has any other SNL cast member ever been so successful?

youtube.com/watch?v=YdotPugNDVQ
nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-segment---book-review/n9434

Oh RDJ what are you doing with Dexter there?

He was successful before snl, he was on the season with Anthony Michael Hall and Randy Quaid, all three of them were already famous before snl

for a while Eddie Murphy was a big shot in hollywood and arguably the best stand up comedian of his generation

Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey, etc. Now piss off

You're not even trying to make this Sup Forums-related

Also RDJ Sr. > RDJ Jr.

He's pretty weird looking without the facial hair, especially in this picture. Almost Cumbersnatch-tier. How do these alien-looking motherfuckers become sex symbols? I don't understand. He's not even tall like Cumbersnatch. It just makes no sense.

>RDJ Sr.
>Robert Downey Jr. Sr.
>RDJ Jr.
>Robert Downey Jr. Jr.

>Robert Downey Jr Sr
>Robert Downey Jr Jr

>Also RDJ Sr. > RDJ Jr.
wat

Holy shit. Apart from Dennis Miller and Jon Lovitz, I literally never knew any of them were on SNL. Really, it's like SNL was only ever relevant in the 70s and the 90s. I stopped watching it after Chris Kattan left haven't heard dick about it since.

Jim Carrey wasn't on SNL.

Hey, I may be retarded, but you don't have to rub it in.

One.

I know it seems far off now, but from 1982 to 2001, Eddie Murphy was one of the biggest stars on the planet. From 1983 to 1989 he arguably was the biggest period. Nutty Professor, Shrek, Mulan, Life, Boomerang, Trading Places,48 Hours, Dr. Dolittle and the crowning jewel Beverly Hills Cop.

Just for some perspective 1984s Beverly Hills Cop was the highest grossing film of the year. a year that included such mega hits as Ghostbusters, Temple of Doom, Purple Rain, Gremlins, Police Academy, Karate Kid and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogallo. He was arguably bigger then than Downey is now.

>Really, it's like SNL was only ever relevant in the 70s and the 90s.

its not "like". Thats pretty much it

It used to be an aggregate for the best stand up/improv comedians that had no sitcoms/tv shows of their own.

Now its just a platform to groom talent into tv shows.

>two comics and cartoon related threads I was watching yesterday were deleted
>Sup Forums that doesn't even pretend to be Sup Forums related and SJW bait threads in their place
Why does a comics and cartoons board have mods and janitors that hate comics and cartoons?

Can't fool me, I watched a show where Frank Zappa hosted (and was the musical guest) DURING the 70s and it was absolutely fucking dreadful (outside of the musical performances)

Eddie Murphy

He's kinda washed up at this point but to be serious for a second...give him one good movie and he's right back to being a big star

Eddie Cape-Flick when?

Yeah. Downey is only big because he's Iron Man.

He just need s good comedy, but the questions are, #1 will anyone give him one, #2 does he have it in him or care enough to make one himself like he used to, #3 will his type of comedy transition to modern day. He's a hundred millionaire so he's not hurting for money and while Beverly Hills Cop is fucking hilarious some of those jokes wouldn't fly today, like the Michael Jackson joke..

its more likely the comedy style has changed and you are no longer able to "get it" on older episodes. which is fine, other than murphy's skits, shit feels very dated

the 70s was the regarded as the best decade.

I really wish Triplets would happen already. Arnold, DeVito and Eddie all in the same movie would potentially be awesome.

Kenan Thompson is woefully underused. He's had some damn solid bits but they just won't let him get much further.

Should have had a actual Ghostbusters Sequel and put him in as the proto Winston/ Replacement Egon while they bring in the next gen.

Maybe he doesn't want to be used more. I mean, he as already a millionaire before getting on the show thanks to All That, The Good Burger Movie, Fat Albert and Kenan and Kel. He might just like having steady work where he gets paid a decent amount for little work, and SNL seems like that could be up his alley.

No, we can't do that, he would overshadow the girls.