How's Your Webcomic? /hyw/ #267

Share your comic with others!
Link your website and portfolio!
Comment and critique others work!
Previous thread: Thread activity: Work on your comic.

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0lck7oo4A
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
tapastic.com/episode/347963
petarvee.tumblr.com/post/144053525291/pimp-n-hoot-its-been-a-while-since-i-wrote-my
imgur.com/a/zkylk
greenknightcomic.com/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fjbMKO6hOOk
diggercomic.com/
project-apollo.net/mos/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag

Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:

>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

>*-Finally, here are some links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV

>*-Here’s the contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>*-We also got a SKYPE CHAT room going on,
To join the chat, seek out 'starlinemike' or 'scribblehatch' and they'll add you in.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0lck7oo4A

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

Reposting yesterday's page in case anyone missed it! What do you guys think?

Psst - this should be #269, the last thread was #268.

I have a question for the guys in this thread. How do you act when you fall in love with a girl but you can't say anything about it? I'm wondering if it's any different from a girl's actions/thoughts when this happens. So basically what's it like to be a guy who's friend zoned?

postin' current progress. Gotta fiddle around with the third panel colours to properly suggest depth

well it helps that i always wear really soft soft pants. and i dont give any fucks if i'm sporting wood. though i'm getting to the age where i don't get random erections anymore and the ones i get don't last long

this is a fun conversation

interested to see what her problem is
if it absolutely CAN'T be, then i rationalize that it isn't supposed to be, and stop wanting it. if it can be but it's gonna be hard, i just.. act nice, hope she shows some interest

I really like the variety in shades of green you went with for the foliage.

>I don't give any fucks
You sound like you have a sloppy personality, I probably wouldn't like you in real life
Well you do you feel while trying to remain friends with her and not letting your feelings show though?

if you feel like peopls should feel bad about their functions, then yeah we probably wouldn't get along

Not a conflict, the way I be friends with someone is the way I show my feelings, whatever they are. Nice is just nice.
That's not a very good comic story though. I would suggest you show a lot of angst and awkwardness in their thought bubbles. Maybe even go the Sakura route and draw their inner self

im not a cuck and have my own way of seducing girls so I never get friendzoned. I act indifferent towards her and prioritize talking to her friends than her, but if I notice her slipping away, I just pop in bullshit tricks. Girls looooove love loooooove talking about themselves. Just pop in some fun facts about themselves using some bullshit quiz game or say things like "you're really nice deep down arent you? you were just misunderstood" depending on the girl, and you'll got their attention although this is just for an opener. You'll have to do much more. You shouldn't say you want her or appear like one because if you do that, they know they're in control. So you see? I'm not telling her that I want her, but I'm going undetected and winning her friends' liking first. Girls also love following trends and what many people think so if you're popular to her friends, that's a bonus.

lel its true tho

Finished Pimp n' Hoot! AKA that little mini-comic from a thread or two ago.

tapastic.com/episode/347963
petarvee.tumblr.com/post/144053525291/pimp-n-hoot-its-been-a-while-since-i-wrote-my
imgur.com/a/zkylk

Pick your mirror and give it a look-see.

Oh that's not the story at all, it's just a side conflict.
wepl at least we can come to an agreement

Very nice!

this is actually good enough that i'm adding it directly to my finished comics folder

He can't say anything because he doesn't know how too, and even if he did he couldn't because of circumstances. So using your tactics wouldn't exactly work.

still at it

Well, I have a sample size of one, but here's my experience.
I like a girl; Girl is dating one of my best friends, so there's no way in hell I'm gonna be making a move.
So, I just stay friendly. This isn't particularly hard. Aside from her being incredibly pretty, we have a lot of interests in common. We're artists, we love fantasy and comics, and I just focus on those when we're together and try to surreptitiously leave the room when she and my friend are making out when the friend group is hanging out.
Eventually, after a few years she and my friend break up, and after a few months of pussying about I work up the nerve to tell her when I'm driving her home one night after having spent the day hanging out. And after breaking down into nervous laughter because she wasn't paying attention and didn't hear my heartfelt confession the first time, I get across to her that I'd had a crush on her since the day we met and she tells me she can't see me like that because we're such good friends.
And that was that. We stayed friends for a few more years, but we eventually grew apart. I don't know if she changed, or if I changed, or if she just didn't want me around knowing how I felt, but now I haven't spoken to her in a few years. Think she might have went overseas and become a tattoo artist.

New page! Haven't done one of these "backstory" pages in a while; if the seals look a bit awkward in panel 3 it because that's their "mid-transformation" stage.
It's wierd how fast these pages seem to fly by once I got through Chapter 2; I know I'm still producng 1/week, but I feel I've just started this chapter and I'm already 1/3rd of the way through

That is HELLA impressive; very nice cloring

Excelent. It's always fun to see what an artist you like comes up with when they're also in charge of writing. Is it hard to juggle two comics at the same time?

Moving onto next page now

That's kind of sad user ;_; thanks for sharing

I'm a bisexual and I have crushes all the time. I've probably fallen for every friend I have, but I've never been put in the friend zone.. I put myself there just to save everybody the trouble. And I'm totally fine with it. I love my friends and what matters to me is that I can spend time with them. That's all I need.

Anyway, if you can't say about it, then just don't. Say it a gorillion years later, when you don't have the feelings anymore, but not when you're full-on ''in love'', because that'll just scare away your friend. If you want to keep the friendship, just zip it at the time and don't try any moves.

I once fucked my best friend, who's a guy and straight, on a vacation we had together and that was a mistake. We got over it pretty quickly, but he doesn't trust me as much as he used to. Maybe he's afraid that I still want him or something, even though I don't, and that's something you don't want in your friendship.

Is your buffer really ~10 pages? That's pretty impressive.

have them in boxers rather than panties and you'll be fine

alternatively, have the shirt baggy enough to cover their crotch area

Thanks!
Oh yeah, while me and my usual writer have crazy synergy, there's some stuff he'll never wanna write and I'll never wanna draw. So it's pretty freeing to just shit out goofy self-indulgent comics. As for running two comics at once: Nah. The one-shots are basically 'whenever I have the time' with no solid update schedule. So there's no pressure there.

The next one-shot'll be me practicing my chiarascuro while trying to copy that PS1/PS2-era mascot games (like Spyro, Crash, etc). Pic related, it might be the two main characters for it.

Thanks scrublord, I knew I could count on you

So, there's more to their romance than the classical "stole your clothes so now you're my waifu".
That's nice to see.
Kind of strange how the seals got up that high in the fourth panel, it doesn't look like there's a cliff that tall around.

rekt. at least your friend got some action

ahh i assume she's remembering these guys to compare them to the current guys

I try to keep buffer large enough that I wont need to have a hiatus mid-chapter. I usually have a 1-2 week hiatus between chapters; but at least I try to get the pacing of each individual chapter uninterrupted

Nice; I'm personally can't imagine drawing for someone else UNLESS the writer is also into folklore or history because those are the things I really enjoy drawing. Mainly because I've already got so little time for this hobby I tried to fit as many mythological creatures and historical armor/weapons/dresses as I could in a single story.

Yeah, it was *supposed* to be the rocks in Panel 1; but I had a lot of trouble framing it in such a way that you could see the Selkies, and the kid running towards the house being built.

I *TRIED* giving them a bittersweet romance because the "I stole your clothes, now you can't go back home" tale you get with Selkies or Merrows just felt too damn grim for the generally more lighthearted tone of the comic. I think I did a believable love story, but it's also the first time I've tried writing anything CLOSE to romance and I'm half-autistic when it comes to that stuff so let's hope for the best

Pretty sure that's the current guy, just younger.

Link to the comic?

greenknightcomic.com/

Trying to start a series. Not my first time, but my older attempts were hideous and rushed by a deadline from some online comic group I joined.

What's it gonna be about?

Her bare legs don't contrast well against the white background. Try making the circle bigger.

Could you fuckin talk about anything you liked about it please?

Goddamn this thing you're doing just isn't how crits work in schools.

There's nothing I like about it.

i love all of the writing in this picture.

why does the dress have clear lacing but no split?

Because despite having a solid artistic base, Scribblehatch is too stupid/lazy to do research to make anything look right.

I've seen you say stuff like this, and it makes me question what kind of school you went to - these kinds of comments are really common in a crit. Crits aren't given in a compliment sandwich format - they can be all negative, all positive, or preferably a mix of the two. In any case, nothing that user said would be out of place were this an academic critique irl...

Here's a WIP of the next page!

I haven't said anything since my original post. That user is shitstirring.

I don't mean you as in Scribblehatch, I mean you as in that user who has complained before about people not critiquing the way they "do in school."

So you're claiming to know which user is which..?

Can you actually post productively instead of these retarded posts like where it's just a picture, with no words to provide context, that, because you didn't provide context, cannot be called webcomic-related, and belongs in a Batman thread?

Only happened once to me and I acted a damn fool. Usually I've been the one doing the friend zoning.

Previous thread:

wait now i'm really confused. that's not the cute rambunctious girl in the present day in the comic? it's a flashback to beardfellow as a kid when he stole the skin? okay.
i'm sure this will all make sense with woids.

you cannot actually have fallen for that

heh, Angel picking up Sarah's accent for one panel..
hygiene*

and then just to nitpick, the phrase is CALLING the shots, not making them. and it sounds like you're describing a morale officer, not human resources.

What was that, tiny?

That was him. that's why that guy posted that. He's not letting scribs live it down.
I for one think people should be forgiven for losing their shit once in a while. Remembering it forever discourages them from improving

Your art is quite bad.

Are you taking measures to improve it?

>implying Scribblehatch will improve if we're nice to him
>implying he won't just blow his stack again when he gets constructive criticism
He's a lost cause, in the same category as Bones and Dewd.

Ah crap, I didn't mean to gibe her the accent whoops!

Anyways yeah, I didn't think about a morale officer. I know just as much as annabeth.

You kinda start to tell who is who with some accuracy. Like that person who hates prudes/censorship and that peraon who wants to fuck the bugs from Bugquest.

Anyways you derail nearly every thread you post in and just make it worse with snarky replies like these.

No user.

You derail every thread.

Or until you snap at people talking to him.

He's been drawing the exact same way for at least the past two years.

Honestly, fair assumption, but this is the first time I've replied to a post related to/by Scribblehatch in about five months. Yes, I see the irony.

My bad! I also forgot to remove an from ; this is why I don't make many /hyw/ threads!

>interested to see what her problem is
Well, you know, retirement is supposed to be for good...

>tfw starving artist life in NewYork became just like RENT
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fjbMKO6hOOk

The way you whinge and piss and moan about it. If you kept it cool. nothing would happen. But you drop your pasta and all hell breaks loose, just as you intended.

because your art is shit

>just as you intended
Give me a break.

That all you got? Is that the best you can do?

Your insult doesn't work because rent was one of the most influential arts in the 1990's and is still making billions. It spoke about controversial topics that started shitstorms and charged view points of many, were's your revolutionary work Dobson?

Hey what's your comic user?
I'ma hankerin for a new comic to read.

diggercomic.com/

so stop putting so much work into incessantly mocking him then and just ignore him like a sane person
yeah it's hard to write shit you don't know

I said YOUR comic.

i wonder why it's the most outlandish lies that bug me the most

You're talking to at least 2 different people there, bud. But you think you're talking to one.

Cute.

project-apollo.net/mos/

eh, everyone makes mistakes.

Jim?

Ah I see. user what's yo comic

Been up all night reading about frost giants, and decided I want one in my occult detective comic. How much research do you guys for your comics, and what kind of research?

Also, do you guys struggle with finding the perfect skin colors for characters? Fuck. It's always too pink, or orange or something. How do you find a balanced skin color, goddammit!?

Go look at his older art and tell me with a straight face that he's made any significant improvements.

What's a frost giant?

I usually just color pick from photographs and go from there.

look at this stupid fag who can't contain his hardon for a musical. it's great, go suck a dick and watch it again.

I think they're in skyrim.
Or maybe those are frost trolls and frost giants are those scandinavian legends
No skin color means easy skin color to pick from. This was a habit I had to represent the real world in comics because it's dull and colorless. In mine now it's the complete opposite.
There's some research I put into it such as train signals, video game references, and how weapons work in said games but there's almost no research into it and I'm just going by dream logic.

please god not more fucking norse/viking myth

he has made the most amazingly rapid progress of anyone i've ever seen. he's just still on step 25 of 148

i save a few good skin thumbnails then do slight variations of them. shifting from yellow to red makes some of the biggest differences

also frost giants are fuckhuge. as cool as the concept is, i dont think you can manage them properly without either otherdimensions or just saying your versions are the real ones that the myths exaggerated.

Not sure about those colouring methods you've got there. Smoothness is not always a good thing - you need some texture in there.

don't blur everything out, it can be good to have some visible stroke marks in there, or clear distinctions between bright and dark parts

and maybe add some highlights in there

the colour choice seems pretty much fine,

Okay, I'll change something up on this next panel. When you say highlights, what do you mean? Because I know what it means but I don't understand completely.

fwooosh

I was thinking about just implying it. That's pretty much what I do with every mythological character. Even though I enjoy all the background info I can get, I rarely use it in the comic, just to cut the boring exposition.

Anyway, why are you so fed up with norse stuff?

Mh that hand is perfect too perfect