Non-cancer thread

What are your thoughts on it?

Proves that George wasn't just a talentless marketing hack

thx 4 replying

I remember seeing part of this with my dad once

No problem. I loved this movie as a teenager and I remember loving the shit out of the soundtrack too.

You sound like me

I haven't seen this flick. Is it worth it?

yeah, it's a good movie.

Hmm, okay. I'll add it to my watchlist, then.

You're not selling me on it friend

>tfw from Modesto
>iwn cruise down 9th st. in the 50s

The ending montage of their school pictures and their fate was depressing as fuck.

Also the movie highlights the beginning of youth culture and how it created a generation of adults stuck in immaturity.

i loved it, but then i saw it in the late 90's and early 00's when people still cruised around in cars and used them to hang out and show of to girls - back before we had minaturised massively connected home entertainment systems in our pockets that turned everybody into lemmings

Lucas' best

is THX 1138 any good or is it just garbage pulp sci-fi like star wars

Pure kino, one of my favorite films of all time, it's almost unbelievable that it's a Lucas picture. Also 36 year old potbellied Dreyfus playing a teenager makes me laugh

it's got neat ideas
definitely more hard sci fi than starwars

Good movie. So good actually it's hard to believe Gerge Lucas made it.

So good. It's kind of disappointing that star wars became a runaway monstrosity and we were denied a few decades of Lucas being a hungry working director.
Its just such a comfy natural slice of life movie packed full of amazing actors and performances.

Its good, but very slow and dry. Classic 70s sci fi style.

Avoid the special edition.

Everything I've read about Lucas says he wouldn't have stayed a filmmaker long.
>only got into it after a terrible autoracing accident killed his dream of being a racer
>kept with it because Coppola encouraged him
>made American Graffiti because his wife hated THX and wanted a movie that had feeling to it
>motivation to make Star Wars was to try and outdo Jaws
>all reports say he hated directing
>makes halfhearted attempts at living up to Spielberg's producing efforts
>makes 5 more poorly received films, retires, now insists he wants to make a museum instead
None of his films seem to come from a sincere desire to create art, there's always an external motivator

>Also the movie highlights the beginning of youth culture and how it created a generation of adults stuck in immaturity.

The specific point of the movie was to capture young americans on the cusp of losing their innocence in the 60s. It's in august of 62; a month before the Cuban Missile Crisis, a year before Kennedy assassination, before the british invasion killed american rock and roll, before the civil rights movement peaked and it's assassination followed, before vietnam, before the recession a decade later and the gas rationing killed car culture. Lucas was in that generation that grew up through all of that, who can blame them for wanting to wish things stayed how they were as kids?

Art comes from adversity! But point taken.
I genuinely like him as a producer pre-prequel era, and a lot of his stuff got a bad wrap. He shines when he's collaborating with people he respects and isn't the guy with his neck out. Look at Willow and the Indy franchise.
I've said it in other threads but I dream of an alternate reality where star wars wasn't saved in editing, which would have given Sorcerer a chance to succeed, and giving us a lean mean Lucas who worked and collaborated with his new hollywoodpeers for a few decades.
I mean if I had a time machine, and could change one thing in history it would be that, or alternatively convince george harrison to star in Holy Mountain, which would mean Jodorowsky could have secured funding for Dune, and then his follow up would have been the Valis movie that PKD talks about seeing in the novel of the same name.

I wish George never made the prequels and just kept on producing and directing different things. Then we would have had kino.