The Hobbit Movies

What went wrong, Sup Forums?

everything

tried to make epic movies with source material that's not epic

Haste makes waste

>movieS

gee donut

I don't remember this scene!
Did I fucking fall asleep in the theater?!
God dammit!

They failed to realize what made the LotR trilogy work on a film level, and dialed all the stupid visual gags up to 11 which added a cartoony vibe to a movie that already had cartoony visuals due to CGI.

I don't remember this at all, holy shit. It's even worse than the Legolas scenes.

Haven't read the source material, what's the biggest difference that make the movies a bad adaptation?

everything

Inb4 he makes the silmarillion without some of the characters, and adding his own.

They keep trying to make movies entirely in CGI and it keeps failing

>Have one short book as source material
>make three three-hour movies out of it

It feels thin... stretched. Like butter scraped over too much bread.

Almost like the makers don't understand what they're doing, at all.......fucking slaves of darkness, corrupting all they touch................instead of something real and good they sell us something untrue, fake - a deception meant to befuddle and dupe; a shiny needful precioussssssss................the filmmakers gave us chains instead of showing us the way out, as Tolkien would have it.

>why does it hurt so much
>because it was real
>these bats were bread for one thing... war
>legolas running up falling stairs
>gandalf literally seeing sauron and still having to do research in Fellowship

Yep

Jackson didn't have time.

Everything was rushed.

There were some epic moments in The Hobbit. It's just that Tolkien didn't feel the need to expand upon it. Moments like the trolls, the goblin cave, into the frying pan, Mirkwood and the spiders, the Battle of five armies are all dangerous and epic moments that just weren't explained in depth in the novel.

>What went wrong
They stopped at 3. I would kill for The Hobbit 4.

The book has enough depth to it that they could have made three movies work. The problem is that they took way too many stupid liberties with the plot for no real reason.

they cut the rape scene with azog and tauriel

>climax of the book
>two seconds of the movie

that and Thorin not being buried with the Arkenstone/Silmaril

It was like 6 hours too long. It should've been a fun action adventure romp like Willow or Goonies, not a bloated epic. It should've taken it's cue from 80s fantasy films, which somehow managed to get shit done in under two hours.
Jackson probably wasn't the right choice for the director. Maybe someone with a more family friendly sensibility and wide-eyed wonder. Can't really think of any that aren't past their prime right now. 80s Spielberg maybe.

Needless romance subplot shoehorned in and too many LOTR cameos that were absolutely not in the book and added nothing of value.

im not even really sure

the hobbit is a pretty lighthearted and endearing adventure story for young people as opposed to the lord of the rings, the movies just change the whole tone completely

>a book is 300 pages long
>let's make three movies, 8 hours total out of it
Hmmm I wonder what went wrong