Which animated films are you most and least looking forward to?

Which animated films are you most and least looking forward to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tDnRVKPjj8k
youtube.com/watch?v=p4-6qJzeb3A
youtube.com/watch?v=9zXiaDhAEwY
phoenixhobbit.tumblr.com/post/97985809295/the-boxtrolls-is-transmisogynist
sheepandwolvesmovie.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wow, what a mediocre year for animation.

Moana, Dory and Angry Birds.
Already watched Kung FU panda and Zootopia.
I don't give a shit about the rest.

Kubo's the only one I'm really looking forward to.
Laika's animation is top notch and it's nice to see them moving away from their creepy/ghost/light horror comfort zone and tackling Japanese mythology (with creepy ghosts)
Moana seems pretty promising as a setting but there's not much to speculate on. I'll probably watch Finding Dory as well.

It's a year with Zootopia in it. It's already at least a B level year.

Kubo looks good.
Finding Dory since she was great in Finding Nemo.
And Moana since Disney has been on a roll recently.

>Most: Trolls

>Least: Trolls

youtube.com/watch?v=tDnRVKPjj8k

You didn't specify 2016 so I'm gonna go ahead and say Incredibles II.

Pixar is the only animation studio to make animated films that are actually films.

Everyone else either fails to emulate them or is simply happy making garbage. Non-Pixar Disney has managed to come close.

Illumination better hope Secret Life of Pets or SING is a hit other wise they may end up as a modern variation early Dreamworks. Just like they were too dependent on Shrek, Illumination could end up the same with Despicable Me.

>Ice Age 5

Sure. Each one does better than the last.

Ice Age: Grossed 383 Million Worldwide

Ice Age 2: The Meltdown: Grossed 660 Million worldwide

Ice Age 3: Dawn of Dinosaurs : Grossed 877 Million Worldwide

Ice Age 4: Continental Drift : Grossed 886 Million Worldwide

Gotta agree
I hear zootopia is good, but furs dont interest me too much

Moana and Storks.
I will check out Dory if not for the visuals (which I expect to be stunning), but keeping my expectations low like I did for Cars 2.

how the fuck can happen this?

Easily. They're just dumb fun. They're not as artsy as some Pixar fare or as grandious as most Disney and some Dreamworks fare or as cutesy as some Illumination movies. Sometimes audiences just want some slapstick nonsense. it's why SONY animation films do pretty good.

Angry Birds and Kubo

>Geode-topia....

Aw sweetcheesencrackers

KUBO
U
B
O

youtube.com/watch?v=p4-6qJzeb3A

But what did they net?

For the sake of listing, I'm including the features that are already out.

Can't wait to see tier:
>KFP3
>Zootopia
>Kubo

Predictably OK tier:
>Moana
>Finding Dory

Babysitting my cousin tier:
>Pets
>Storks
>Ice Age 5

Boomer Marketing Execs Tier
>Trolls
>Angry Birds
>Ratchet and Clank

Literally who tier
>Animal Crackers
>sing

HOLY SHIT, there was an Ice Age 4?

Kubo and Moana at the top Angry Birds at the bottom.

>ctrl-f
>no rock dog
what the fuck, man

I don't have exact numbers, but let me put it like this. Generally a movie needs to make 2 to 3 times it;s budget on the movie alone to make a profit. This isn't accounting for licensing deals and merch sales but it does account for taxes, the theaters cut and marketing.

Now, these movies for big animated pictures are fairly cheap. No Ice Age movie has ever had a budget above 100 million dollars. So the last two movie in the franchise have made over 8 TIMES their budget. I don't know their exact net profit, but it's probably quite high.

I got the SING trailer right here for you.

youtube.com/watch?v=9zXiaDhAEwY

>Ratchet and Clank movie

Well, at least we got a great game out of it.

Kubo looks great.

Looks like weebshit to me.

I'm kind of looking forward to it, honestly.

you havent seen an animated movie since 2010 have you

The second one had the girl mammoth right? Man I remember when that one was recent and now it's probably 8 years old.

The first one is still good though.

Yep, Queen Latifah.

Kubo is literally the only choice.

Moana and Finding Dory are coming out this year?

Kubo looks good. Lego Batman might be worth a laugh.

>Angry Birds
>Storks

Fuck me, I'm never gonna get a proper movie about birds.

>god tier
>should've left it alone
>maybe
>nah
>go the fuck away
>2 was good
>no
>stop it already
>get out
>disappointment
>who what
>oh god absolutely yes
>leave american idol in its grave for god's sake

Never!

last year was even worse

not when pixar is bombing

The people who watched Ice Age 1 as children are about 21 today, how the fuck do they still manage to keep earning more

Unrealistically hyped for Kubo and mildly excited for lego batman

because family films have been scientifically proven to make fuckloads of money

foreign markets
dumb families

Kubo is going to bomb so fucking hard.

I wanna see Storks and Kubo
Trolls, Sing, Dory, Secret Life and Ice age look like shit

Red Turtle, Animal Crackers and Henchmen are going to be really good too

I'm crossing my fingers

doesn't matter
based Nike will fund Laika forever and ever
>tfw your dad will never buy you an animation company to be your own personal sandbox

That's fucking disgusting. Unhealthy companies shouldn't be allowed to survive just because of shit like that. Make movies people want to see and Laika can survive and would deserve to as well.

All of their films have made a profit.

Bullshit. There's no way Paranorman and Boxtrolls made 2 times their budget.

Moving the goalposts. Why hate on a company that's lucky enough to get to focus on the craft and art of their films.

I'm not moving goal posts. The general rule of thumb is that a movie must gross 2 to 3 times it's budget to make a profit. To cover the costs of marketing, the budget costs and the revenue gotten after the theaters and the governments get their cut. Not getting 2 times your budget usually mean they didn't make any money, at best they broke even.

Not by the power of NIKE

why? Nepotism has always been a part of capitalism
deal with it buddy
sucks being poor

>movie must gross 2 to 3 times it's budget to make a profit
Thats inflated hollywood standards
Laika is a much smaller studio and generally their movies cost less to make than dreamworks or disney's movies

God forbid they make good movies, they should just make Talking animals 5: The Dancening

why is every Illumination trailer really cringed as fuck?

If this isn't an animated biography of the japanese mangaka and author of Bleach Kubo Tite, I'm not going.

I'm literally looking forward to none of them, they all look like shit.

>HA HA IT'S THIS OLD INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY BUT NOW THEY'RE "HIP" AND "WITH IT" SEE THEY'RE EVEN "TWERKING", YOU KIDS LOVE "TWERKING" RIGHT?

You can make profound films and still appeal to the masses. Zootopia is basically a giant allegory race tale with hints of the crack epidemic of the 1980s. It's far more mature than any of Laikas work.

Unhealthy companies shouldn't be propped up with tax dollars, but I have no problem with some rich dude choosing to support a financially unsound studio. It's like splurging on a luxury car. It won't make you money, but it'll bring you joy.

I think the bigger problem is the terrible casting. If you absolutely have to make a movie about animals singing hit songs, than at least cast some music people. I'm not expecting fucking Pharell or Adele or Beyonce or Jay Z or anything but fuck at least grab some lower end people like Jason Derulo or Demi Lovato. Shit even Eddie Murphy had a hit song in '85, get him. The only person who makes sense in this is Seth Mcfarlane.

>Oy vey an animation studio that doesn't need the lowest common denominator to survive, shut it down!

>You can make profound films and still appeal to the masses
rarely
Even zootopia got put through the corporate meat grinder and came out pretty bland and inoffensive

>It's far more mature than any of Laikas work
that's just a plain lie

Red pilled master race:
Blue pilled cukolds:

>Moana
>Kubo and the Two Strings

Thats about it tbqh lads

>Trolls

Hollywood just won't let anything rest in peace, will they?

>Not giving a shit about Kubo
Kill yourself.

Finding Dory, Moana, and Kubo all look promising.

Everything else looks meh/shit.

>Most
Easily Kubo. The Boxtrolls was meh but Coraline and Paranorman were so, SO good, and I know Laika has it in them to produce greatness.

Shout-out to The Angry Birds Movie for me not wanting to be excited for it but I kind of am?

>Least
This is a really hard question. Is it Ice Age? Is it Sing? It might actually be The Secret Life of Pets, because at least shit like Trolls looks terrible and I kind of love terrible movies, but I just don't have time for mediocre shlock (which is what Secret Life of Pets looks to be).

>bad movies for babysitting the cousin
put the good shit in, kids can handle it

Box office numbers don't count DVD / download / Netflix sales, which are pretty strong for most animated films. Laika films have all performed decently- they're not really making a profit but nobody is hemorrhaging cash to get them out there. Rich people funding the arts is as old as time, at least they're funding something worthwhile.

Yeah, the Boxtrolls was a real thinker piece.

Yeah, the Frozen was a real thinker piece

Considering dreamworks animation bought and owns the trolls dolls, both their likeness and the toys, I guess not.

What's there to care about? It's just weebshit. It's just gonna be RWBY with a higher budget and presumably less success.

can someone lend me a bait image? I'll pay you back later

>Actually supporting Laika aka Tumblr: The Animation Studio.

Not him but it looks...unpleasant. The visual style is repulsive and the premise and story just looks goofy and absurd, and not in a good way.

I feel the same way when I look at Kubo footage as I do when I see Clasky Ksupo productions. There's just something about the art and character designs that grosses me out.

Most looking forward to Kubo and Moana. Kubo I'm hyped and have high expectations for and Moana I'm very curious to see if it will be good.

Least looking forward to Angry Birds, I guess. Just because that's the one I expect will get the most obnoxious ad campaign to endure while simultaneously looking like garbage. Like, I'm pretty sure I'm going to see Angry Birds happy meal toys advertised on big posters every time I pass a Macdonalds and I'll see lots of really bad Angry Birds trailers replayed a million times. But if that ends up happening with Trolls or Storks or something else instead I'll take it back. I would otherwise say I'm least looking forward to Sing but I doubt I'll see any advertising for it at all outside of Sup Forums and it will be easy to ignore.

>The visual style is repulsive
How so? I can understand not liking stop motion look, but its far more toned down "gross" than their previous films and the story is a pretty standard fantasy epic (get revenge for father with magical party)
I guess your loss, man

Wow.
That's...that's more than Batman vs Superman. Damn.

Man I was hyped for kung fu panda 3.
But it ended up being rather lacking.

>it's this meme again
Nah. The trailer wasn't half bad. I'm going to stay mildly interested

>How so?

I can't quite pinpoint what it is, but every time I see the trailer everything about it just sickens me visually.

I like the stop motion look just fine though, so it's not that. I loved Coraline.

Tumblr hates Laika.

They hated that ParaNorman was full of stereotypes.

Then they hated Boxtrolls because a villain crossdressing is offensive.
phoenixhobbit.tumblr.com/post/97985809295/the-boxtrolls-is-transmisogynist

>not including Sheep and Wolves in that image
>Blue Wolf Waifu
sheepandwolvesmovie.com/

>mfw Sup Forums is talking shit about the most revolutionary kino of our time

This is the most unabashed shameless furry wank film I've seen since Judas and Jesus.

>not wanting to watch some of that laika magic
Why is Sup Forums so shit?

>This is the most unabashed shameless furry wank film I've seen since Judas and Jesus

but you're still going to see it aren't you?

Not him, but I took "babysitting younger cousin tier" to mean that that's the only instance where he would watch it. It goes without saying that you'd want to watch the good stuff with your little cousin if you got to pick, but sometimes your little cousin wants to watch Ice Age and you indulge them.

>supporting laika

Sup Forums post-memification of Trump.

>unabashed shameless furry wank film
But probably one of the best animated furry wank films ever made.

>the Ice Age franchise is twice as old as its target audience

>the gays are poor and shoddy
>the lesbians are high class and sophisticated
This is /lgbt/ all over again.

Ice Age is like the kid's movie version of Star Wars.

>Saw the first movie years ago when it was new, never saw any of the others
>Reading the wiki for this new movie
>The main characters have wives now voiced by Queen Latifah and Jennifer Lopez

Stopped reading there.

Jesus Christ HOW?

I was always pretty easy to please with animated movies growing but but damn if Ice Age wasn't one of the blandest least satisfying high profile ones I can remember.

Because people want something to shut their kids up for an hour and a half. Continuity is irrelevant.

This is why animated family films print money.

>nothing but 3D shit