Superman prequel "Krypton" gets pilot order

>Syfy has ordered the pilot for "Krypton," the sci-fi drama from David S. Goyer that centers on Superman's grandfather.

>Goyer, who wrote the pilot with Ian Goldberg, is set to executive produce.

>Set two generations before the planet's destruction, the project centers on the Man of Steel's grandfather, whose House of El was ostracized, as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his world from chaos. "Krypton" has been in development since at least late 2014.

>Hailing from Warner Horizon Television, the "Krypton" pilot will be directed and co-executive produced by Colm McCarthy (“Peaky Blinders”). "Sleepy Hollow" veteran Damian Kindler will serve as showrunner.

>"'Krypton' is one of the most iconic stories in the comic book universe,” said Bill McGoldrick, executive vice president of scripted content for NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment. “In the talented hands of David S. Goyer and the DC Entertainment/Warner Horizon Television team, this exciting Syfy project will take viewers back to Superman’s home to show how the timeless legend began.”

comicbookresources.com/article/superman-prequel-krypton-ordered-pilot

Who even cares

Is Superman's grandfather even importanr in comic?

Oh gross, I had kind of assumed it had faded and died.

We Gotham now?

>"'Krypton' is one of the most iconic stories in the comic book universe,

The fuck is with these prequels?

That sounds horrible

It always did.
You ready to not be surprised at why?
>the sci-fi drama from David S. Goyer

>Goyer, who wrote the pilot with Ian Goldberg, is set to executive produce.

>Goyer
Unfortunately no.

Krypton, an alien planet crawling with otherworldly beings like Doomsday, Brainiac, and fucking dragons, sounds way more interesting than pre-Batman Gotham (just visit Detroit); if you wanted to you could even do Green Lantern, Legion, and New God related stuff. It's pretty surreal to me that people shit on this concept while being willing to watch the later.

Canon to MOS or not?

I think Cary Bates wrote some interesting stories about Clark's ancestors.

But it's Goyer, so he's probably ignorant of those stories and proud of it.

They can't do Snyder Krypton on a TV budget, probably not.

I like the concept but Goyer's involvement makes me nervous.

Hopefully it works out.

Doomsday left Krypton eons before sentient life formed, at least long enough for the sun to go from yellow to red.
He is suggested to be the extinction level event that allowed sentient life to even form there.
Brainiac depending on the continuity visited there once, in Jor-El's day shortly before it's explosion.

That said, Krypton itself is pretty gnarly, and the stories about it from the Silver Age make for some pretty interesting reading.

>expecting us to care about these characters when we know the ENTIRE PLANET is going to explode anyway

>Doomsday left Krypton eons before sentient life formed, at least long enough for the sun to go from yellow to red.

In which continuity? Original post-Crisis Doomsday was created in an experiment by Kryptonians led by alien Bertron.

>expecting us to care about anyone in real life when EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE anyway

Is it DCEU or Arrowverse canon? I watch LITERALLY every comic show on TV but I ain't watching this shit if it ain't canon.

>goyer
HAHAAHAHAHA no

Why would you watch Gotham then? That is canon to nothing but itself.

Supergirl is barely canon to the Arrowverse.

Because Gotham is good. Krypton sounds like Agent Carter and garbage had a baby to become the most irrelevant adaptation of basically nothing. Agent Carter was pretty good but fuck if it mattered to anything, taking place over half a century ago.

This is just Caprica, isn't it.

>will be directed and co-executive produced by Colm McCarthy (“Peaky Blinders”)
already sounds better than 90% of live action capeshit

>Krypton
>Braniac

STAS pleb go and stay go

Yes please.
We need a TV SHOW to tell us how Superman's birth was the result of decades of planning to give us the ultimate savior. MoS wasn't enough.

>not even about Jor-El but about his father

Jesus Christ.

>Hey, kids! You like Superman?
>Well here's this show without Superman in it
>But look, it's Krypton!

Man, I would totally watch a series about Snyder's Krypton.

People shat on Gotham preemptively because it was a terrible concept, but they didn't realize it was going to be a campy Tim Burton/Adam West Batman hybrid. They're shitting on Krypton preemptively because Goyer is attached.

Good writing/sets/etc. can save a bad concept, but I can't think of anything that would save bad writing.

Gotham actually has characters people care about, this is like making a TV show about Steve Rogers before he got super soldiered.

Literally the only thing I've ever read with him in it was an issue of Starman. By the standards of Byrne's Krypton he was a pretty decent guy. He advocated house arrest for life for a bunch of captive aliens rather than torture or dissection.

The studio can cash in on the likeness of Batman and Superman without paying an exorbitant licensing fee for the "S" or bat sign.

No man,what you're describing is MCU Gotham if the Red Skull, Crossbones, Zemo and Batroc were all somehow alive and had their powers and lived in 1920s Brooklyn. What this show is like is making a TV series about Steve Rogers' Grandfather coming to America.

Gotham still has Bruce Wayne which will become Batman so it's not really the same. Despite what most people say Bruce is a character too and watching him grow into Batman is also part of the story.

WE HAD NOTHIN BUT OUR DREAMS AND OUR FISTS, AYE

>Smallville
>Gotham
>Krypton

What's next? Central? Opal? Themyscira?

More like a show about Steve Rogers parents meeting set against the backdrop of the first world war

>outworldy creatures
>on syphilis budget

This is the same network that had to dump all of their CGI shit for their most popular show. Unless things have changed, don't expect much.

>insert references to STARS AND STRIPES ROUND OBJECTS

."Hey mister, you're pretty good at throwing that freebie!"

"Feeling kinda super, like a solider!"

"Flying ships? I'll believe it when I see it AYE"

lol

Sad thing is it won't even be as campy and fun as Gotham

I thought Kryptonians didn't have power on their planet due to the red sun?

they don't but it's still supposed to be a super advanced sci-fi world

It's a barren world with light brown haze everywhere. There is no color. There is no real life. The technology is efficient and monolithic. People live in fear of the unknown. Rumblings about a world about to die. There is no happiness.

So how would Snyder's Krypton be different than whatever this will be since Snyder didn't make Krypton a super advanced world?

More color?

>Goyer
into the trash it goes

Snyder's Krypton had powered exoskeletons, hoverships, cloning machines, and nanotech. I couldn't care less about adding bright colors to stuff, and don't really get the obsession. New 52 Zod was a knight in powered armor who slew a Kryptonian dragon. That's the sort of shit that I want, and warring clans on an alien planet sounds like something'd I'd like to look into even without the Superman label.

So, Post-Crisis and DCAU Krypton.

Yeah, but look how much they had to twist continuity just to make the show watchable.

To be fair a wonder woman one wouldn't be that bad. Even if Diana was never in it and they never show stuff outside the island (maybe like one visitor though who turns out to be a complete dick solidifying their hatred of the outside world) it would still be a show about goddamn Amazons.

>"'Krypton' is one of the most iconic stories in the comic book universe,”
>They're going to have to pull things out of their asses to even fill one season of a show that takes place before most of the superheroes exist.
Best case scenario, they DO come up with actually interesting things to fill multiple seasons with, like Gotham, by just pulling from anywhere they can, and it becomes a ridiculous, entertaining mess. Like say, some Thanagarians visit Krypton, and there's something with that. Or some of the new gods get involved.

Worst case scenario, they bore everyone to tears with multiple seasons of dragging out Zod, Brainiac, or some nondescript Kryptonian villain they completely invented for the show's purposes.

David Goyer. Christ.

Gotham was disappointing because it was nothing like the Gotham Central comic. That said, it's great if you don't give shit about muh deep dark realism, the campyness is really fun.

So if it just got its pilot order, the show's not going to premier until 2018, no?

Could be this fall.

But that's six months away. The early episodes would have to be rushed to hell, and we don't even have a cast, yet.

Cautiously interested. Everyone thought Gotham was stupid for being a prequel and not having Batman in it, and it turned out to be one of the best cape TV shows ever. I will give it six episodes before I decide whether or not I drop it. I think six episodes are a fair enough time to let it get it's groove. All shows have early growing pains.

>Green Lantern

Wasn't Tomar-Re Krypton's Green Lantern? That could make a pretty cool story.

I would watch that, though.

>David S. Goyer

dropped.

What a fucking shame. Just give it to Fox and let the Gotham team do it.

I would too but only because it's MCU and I'll watch anything canon.

>"Sleepy Hollow" veteran Damian Kindler will serve as showrunner.

Ummm... what season of Sleepy Hollow?

The makeup and puppetry work on their shows can still be pretty nice. The aliens on Defiance looked good.

We just have to hope they go that route rather than try to do painful CGI.

How so? There's never been a time when Batman stories are told without Batman existing. You're just used to villains popping up within a day while Bruce is an adult because the writers need the story to roll along.

Half a season. Always give a show half a season. Serialized shows need time to set things up.

>because it was nothing like the Gotham Central comic

people literally shit on Gotham to this day for the first half of season 1 being ALMOST a police procedural. Imagine if they'd kept that concept for the whole show.

Gotham Central is legitimately the worst show they could have made. It would have ended up boring as shit.

Goyer + Syfy + Prequel - Superman = ?

Yeah. Sounds really fuckin good.

What were they thinking...

this might turn out to be pretty good depending on the direction it takes

Like, it doesn't matter AT all. There's no reason to do this and set it on Krypton. Even if it's good, what's the point? It could be set on some other original planet and still have as much to do with the DC universe. At least The Kents had a Jonah Hex cameo.

You're thinking way too small. Kyrpton is the perfect way to expand and explore Cosmic DC. You can have Tomar-Re come in and check up on Krypton. Or have Thanagarians offer to help with a crisis, but only if Krypton gives them their weaponry. Have it turn out that certain high ranking member of the Kryptonian elite are actually Durlans in disguise. There's so much you can do.

OH BOY

I SURE LOVE PREQUELS OF POPULAR FRANCHISES/CHARACTERS THAT DON'T FEATURE ANY OF THE CHARACTERS WE KNOW AND LOVE

mfw this will be Smallville tier nonsense with future Grandpa-El

Minus all the characters you know and love.

>you know everyone dies on Krypton

Why bother getting invested in this show

The series finale is Supes being sent off to Earth and then everything blows.

Everyone dies in real life, too.

The series finale will be episode 8, my friend. And it'll feature a hefty helping of cliffhangers and new characters to set up the next season.

But I don't know how.

Krypton was cool as fuck

I'm officially hype

>FIRE FALLS
god damn why was anyone even surprised this place blew up

Nah, Syfy usually lets even their worst performing shows get a second season. THEN they get canceled with hundreds of dangling plot threads and a massive cliffhanger.

t. Alphas

I'm a huge Superman fag and I could not be less interested in this show. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to green light two shows now about Superman that don't actually fucking feature Superman?

>THEN they get canceled with hundreds of dangling plot threads and a massive cliffhanger.
Kek. What plotlines will Krypton leave unfinished, Sup Forums?

Presumably something about the local green lantern

The Green Lanterns are cursed when it comes to live-action, mark my words.

>the talented hands of David S. Goyer

I'd rather watch this.

I'll call now.

>Battlestar Galactica prequel "Caprica" gets pilot order
>set two generations before the colonies' destruction, the project centres on Apollo's grandfather, whose House of Adama was ostracized, as he fights to redeem his family's honor and eradicate racism. >Will show the origins of the colony-created Cylons and the building tensions that lead to the Cylon war

Oh man I am super hyped for this, sounds like it's gonna be awesome political drama! Can't wait, Caprica is gonna be fucking amazing!

But Caprica was mostly good. It's a damn shame it tanked, because once it ditched two shit plot lines it all started to come together.

Most people seem to feel it was shit that squandered potential. I found it mostly rather dull, although it was picking up at the end. But by then it was too late.

If I were to guess, there's a doomsday cult that is involved in causing Krypton's destruction. Whether by starting something that might be the cause or doing some kind of "don't ask, don't tell" cover up about entropy kicking into up to eleven in Krypton's core.

Caprica was pretty good overall, once it found its footing. Its main problem was that they tried to steer the show heavily to cater to female viewers and that meant a lot of drawn out relationship subplots, instead of focusing on the one people were most interested about: cylons.

I haven't watched it in years, and marathoned it over a few days, the latter of which means it could have had terrible pacing issues for a weekly series, but it worked as a combined whole.

If they'd cut out all of the stupid "old Adama dad plays GTA" and "Graystone mom gets depressed to the point that an entire episode is about her hallucinations" plotlines, it'd have had time to deliver a lot more of what people wanted to see.

Unfortunately, as the other user just mentioned, they thought paper-thin relationship arcs, mostly to do with the Graystone mom, were what the audience needed. She should have died in the bombing.

>old Adama dad plays GTA

Oh Jesus, the entire Cap city subplot was so fucking stupid.

What did Goyer do that was so bad?

>viewers under 30 realize just how stupid the Cap City subplot is
>viewers over 30 won't care or understand it
What a mess, and none of it led to anything. The concept of the VR world that Zoe would get involved in was already introduced (in the very first scene of the show!), and in fact the VR world concept was weakened by making it a stupid GTA knockoff that was nothing but an excuse to dress characters differently.

I read that comic just the other day

No one complained about Goyer until Man of Steel. Once Goyer insulted Martian Manhunter fans by calling them all virgins, there was no turning back.

TDK
TDKR
MoS
BvS