Time for concept art thread

Time for concept art thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2J-ChUQ74t0
jerome-k-moore.deviantart.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thumbnail made me think the bear was wearing bikini bottoms.
I...feel cheated.

Sorry, wrong pic!

liar

inb4 jojo joke
These do have way more character than the actual cartoon, but thats HB for ya

You missed the thread where Sup Forums first saw these.
Nothing but Jojo posting, I think it's even responsible for the jojo generals.

Gangsta.

Something to keep the thread aloft.

Postin some of my favorites

I see titties

Why are they all so hot?

>all

user....

I dont remember wanting to Scooby DOO all of them.

Bumping out of interest. Does anyone have the The Princess and the Frog or Zootopia ones?

FAKE

it was DA fanart

Pre-production development art for Mulan by Alex Niño

More pre-production development art for Mulan by Alex Niño

More pre-production development art for Mulan by Alex Niño

Even more pre-production development art for Mulan by Alex Niño

>tfw it will never happen
THANKS JEWSNY

Alex Niño, pre-production development art for Mulan

Shit, if ONLY Mulan looked this awesome

>tfw

Alex Niño, pre-production development art for Mulan

I mean, Emperor's New Groove was bretty good, but fuck man, everything about Kingdom of The Sun just blows it out the fuck out.

Man why did we get some idealistic stereotypical bullshit in the actual movie setting instead of this beautiful stuff

>Shit, if ONLY Mulan looked this awesome

Yeah, imagine if Alex Niño had made, say, a graphic novel adaptation of Mulan. (Niño was primarily a comics artist before becoming a concept/development artist for animation, and he freelanced as an artist for DC Comics, Warren Publishing, Marvel Comics, and Heavy Metal... though's not really a mainstream name, UK comics artist/historian David A. Roach rates him alongside Jack Kirby and Breccia as "one of comics' few genuine visionaries.")

Emperor's New Groove was a movie that took itself 0% seriously, and it really bugs me when cartoons do this. Every bit of the setting, the characters, the plot, etc was completely nonsensical with no root whatsoever in reality.

It's entertaining I guess, and that's what it was made to do, but it's just not memorable in any way

>Man why did we get some idealistic stereotypical bullshit in the actual movie setting instead of this beautiful stuff

Well, it is development art... the loss of detail is inevitable, I imagine. Alex Niño also worked as a visual development artist on Atlantis (I'm not sure what the hierarchy was between him and Mike Mignola) but I haven't found any scans of his work on that film.

More Mulan development art by Alex Niño

Still got several more of these

If I remember correctly, these were last displayed publicly in 2007 or thereabouts. It might have been at a gallery showing in Niño's native Philippines, but I'm not entirely sure.

Proof?

Niño has a very impressive control of ink wash.

Besides his work for Disney, Niño also worked as a model designer and artist for the short-lived Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light series from the 1980s.

Niño's final major work in animation was serving as one of the character designers on Treasure Planet. He's mostly retired these days, but has worked sporadically as a freelancer for Image Comics and other, smaller publishers.

Niño's also somewhat active on the comics convention circuit. Here's a video of him doing a sketch at last year's Big Wow Comicfest in San Jose, California:

youtu.be/2J-ChUQ74t0

For those of you interested in seeing his comics work, some of his work for Warren Publishing has been reprinted by Dark Horse in its Eerie and Creepy archive hardcovers. Unfortunately, his best work for Warren (in my opinion, at least) was in the 1984 and 1994 "adult fantasy" magazines, and those have never been reprinted as far as I know.

Fact: final product never comes out as good as the concept art

Incidentally, he also worked as an "additional visual development artist" on The Emperor's New Groove, although I don't if that means he was brought in to rework the Kingdom of the Sun visuals, or if he was already doing development work for Kingdom of the Sun before the decision was made to change it into The Emperor's New Groove.

There's a funny reason for that. These where done by the great Iwao Takamoto. What made him so great? He used be an assistant for Milt Kahl, one of the greatest animators of all time. In fact many of HB's animators where master animators from Disney and MGM who where fired as TV took over film.

And this is the last image I have of Alex Niño development art for Mulan. If anybody has any more, whether for Mulan or for Treasure Planet or Atlantis, please don't hesitate to share them in this thread. I'd love to see them.

The GI Joe: Renegades line-up by designer, the late Clement Sauve (he passed away in 2011 from complications related to cancer at the much too young age of 34).

From left to right: Tunnel Rat, Duke, Roadblock, Scarlett, Ripcord, Snake Eyes, Flint, and Lady Jaye

Some very early Avatar: The Last Airbender concept sketches by Bryan Konietzko. The polar bear-dog was replaced by an air bison but it eventually found its way to The Legend of Korra.

jerome-k-moore.deviantart.com/
It was done by this guy, but I think he worked WB.
Drawing is still sweet though.

Early character design art by Mayan Escalante for the GI Joe: Rise of Cobra tie-in video game released in 2009. Too bad the game was an absolute, overpriced turd.

Scarlett character design art by Mayan Escalante for the 2009 GI Joe: Rise of Cobra video game

Snake Eyes character design art by Mayan Escalante for the 2009 GI Joe: Rise of Cobra video game

Heavy Duty character design art by Mayan Escalante for the 2009 GI Joe: Rise of Cobra video game

Duke character design art by Mayan Escalante for the 2009 GI Joe: Rise of Cobra video game

Helix character design art by Mayan Escalante for the 2009 GI Joe: Rise of Cobra video game. The character was created expressly for the game. If you squint a little, the character looks like a palette-swapped version of Perfect Dark's Joanna Dark.

Beachhead character design art by Mayan Escalante for the 2009 GI Joe: Rise of Cobra video game

The Helix character design in the original color scheme.

I have one of Finnick from Zootopia. Man, I love the little guy, I wish he had gotten more screentime, especially since the documentary and the artbook heavily implied Finnick was a more stablished/prominent character in the film.

Concept art for Teela and Evil-Lyn, for Filmation's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon.

Chris Sanders has such a good-looking artstyle.

Hey, does anyone have the concet art of Stitch? Its so different from his cuddly final look.

>autism the post

boop

This bothers me only because the badger would be much larger than the others.

No no, this is getting interesting...

I miss that show.